31, 58 or 124?

SureShot

Very Active Member
I'm trying to decide between areas 31, 58 or 124 for Wyoming Elk this year. I have horses and can get in the backcountry, if necessary.

If you have any feedback on these areas, I'd love to hear it. A PM is fine if you don't want to share on a public forum.

Thanks.

Scott, I've been through a couple of those units but have never hunted any of 'em. So the only info I can give you is some you probably already know - It'll be A LOT easier to draw 124 than 58 or 31. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Been looking at 31 & 58 myself and it seems to me from talking to people who have hunted one or the other of the units that 58 has more high end bulls but a little lower success rates and some areas of limited access. Were 31 might not kick out as many monster bulls but has good public access and high success rates. With both having very long odds I would say if you have to have a 350"+ try for 58, if you would be fine with a 300-330" try for 31.

124 has some of the worst draw odds in the state,but so does 31.58 would probably be the easier draw,IMO.Area 31 bulls have a tough time living past about 4-5 years of age(due to access),so Moosey is right on about bigger bulls in 58.Elk in 124 are very good at disappearing during rifle season,and the country is mostly open desert terrain.

Nontypical nailed it on area 31. TOO many tags and those bulls are not living past 5 years old. 10 years ago you could go out this time of year and see numerous 330-350 bulls that made it through the season... Not anymore.

If you want a fun relaxing hunt where you can see a lot of elk than 31 is your unit. Forget about trophy hunting and just go have a good time! After you get your bull you can spend some time looking for sheds, calling coyotes, fishing the flaming gorge. All kinds of options.

I was in 58 last fall and there are some good bulls there. But access is limited. There are only a couple non resident tags and A LOT of applicants. 58 has the worst odds out of the 3 you mentioned.

124 has some good bulls in it. Problem I always see is most the bulls are busted up by the time the hunt opens. What nice about that unit is you have into November to hunt. If you draw this tag PM and I can tell you some spots to check out. Hardest part is drawing the tag. If I remember right 124 has better odds of drawing as a non resident vs a resident.

I'd put in for area 32. Just like area 31 but the odds are way better.........

And don't worry about the wolves. Before the wolves people blamed all the poachers, outfitters etc.

Only thing the wolves did was unite all the groups against one thing.

I blame the elk for being slow enough to get caught by the wolves.

I live in Rock Springs and you guys are right on about area 31. I drew the tag in 2007. Spent about 10 days down there between my hunt and my brothers. I ended up with a 300 inch elk. (dont get me wrong, its a beautiful, even 6x6, and I was very happy with it.) We Saw tons of elk, But only one that was bigger than mine. So if you want quantity over quality choose 31, If you want a elk over 330 choose one of the other areas.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom