33 3rd season deer

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Hi All- Heading out to New Mexico for 2B deer and then on the 7th, going up to CO 33 with my Dad for deer. Any last minute advice or knowledge on if the deer have started to migrate down out of the higher elevations yet? Might be starting our efforts near Harris Reservior and if no luck, will head to the north side of Harvey Gap Res and to the east of it. Any advice on those scenarios? Thanks!!

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Wiz,
I don't know your unit, but I'd recommend you pay attention to doe groups and look long and hard into any surrounding cover for a big buck laying in wait for one of the ladies to get hot. Be mobile and check back on doe groups. Years ago, my third season hunt got better by the day. Fortunately my son took my bullets away from me the first few days and made me pass on some pretty good bucks. It paid off in spades for me!
Most of all, have a great time. Best of luck

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-18 AT 07:07PM (MST)[p]I sent you a PM with my cell number on it a while ago gimme a shout and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Give me a holler... I just finished my hunt up there... Not anything great, do not have high hopes. There are always a few good bucks around but if you are holding out for a big one, expect to go home empty handed.

One word: Drought!

Unit 33 and 23 has the worst habitat I've ever seen. No feed, no water, no acorns, no green browse....dry as a bone.

1st season elk, up high, was a bust. Saw a few decent bucks, but nothing over 140"

No luck on either hunt. Only saw 2 small forked horns on the NM hunt. Saw a total of about 15 does in 3 1/2 days of hunting. Headed up to Colorado figuring I'd fill that tag for sure. We saw 2 legal forked horns in 3 1/2 days of hunting. Found a set of huge sheds that I may post soon. Saw about 40 head of elk with one pretty good looking 5x5 bull but other than that, the hunt was a bust. Talked to a few guys who connected on decent bucks up in the snow on top of Elk Creek. Not really sure why we weren't able to find any bucks. We found one 3x4 that was out to his ears and about 12 inches tall with a doe on the day we were heading out. I had a good time hunting with my Dad though and that is what mattered. I saved about $250 on processing my deer. LOL!!

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom