.338 Federal??

huntswnm

I am getting a T/C ProHunter and am considering the .338 Federal barrel in the future. I am wondering if anyone has shot this round at all, and particularly out of a T/C?
I wish T/C would come up with some sort of Trial Period where you could "borrow" a rifle barrel to try out before dropping $300+ on the thing.
What do you think?
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I have never fired the Pro hunter, but just speaking from my observation of the way the stock is designed, I think it will be a kicker. The cheek rest of the stock sits well below the centerline of the barrel, this would indicate that it may have the tendency to bust you good in the cheek area and the upper point of the shoulder.
like I said, I have never fired one, but stock design is very important concerning felt recoil. Even a good recoil pad would not help if it is a cheek buster. so do more research before buying a mag caliber barrel if recoil is a problem with you.

RELH

I dont' have any experience with the 338Fed but IMO its just a novelty. I don't think you can get the velocity they claim with reloads so you're stuck shooting factory ammo, not that it matters, but I shoot too much and it would break my bank.

I guess it fills a nitch, but not sure what that nitch is... I really can't see any diffrence between it and a 308 or 358Win. All are more than capable of killing elk size critters at reasonable ranges. I don't think you could see any diffrence in the field between any of them inside 300 yards.

Course you can take this with a grain of salt, coming from a guy that has a 30-06, 338-06 and a 35 whelen. :-D I like the 338-06 the best of all of them, but they all kill stuff pretty dead.

How much worse of a kick is a .338 than a .50 ML loaded at 120 grains? If it is equal than its not a cheak buster and get it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom