.338 Win Mag Elk/Moose Load.

Madmike8659

I know there are alot of post on this. I have a Ruger Mark II .338 Win Mag. I have taken one elk at about 200 yards. I was shooting 250 gr Nosler Partitions with 71 gr. of 4831 IMR I hit him 3 out four times before he laid down. My daddy always said keep shooting until they lay down. I walked up on him and he got up and took off. I hit him again right below the backstrap the bullet came out the front shoulder.
My first, second and third mistake was a lung shots. If I ever get another chance I'm for busting the shoulder. I would like to get a flatter shooting bullet for a little more distance.
What are you guys shooting. I would like to keep shooting either IMR 4831 or 4350. It works well in my other calibers. I love the Nosler Partitions. They have put alot of meat of the ground for me.

I think the 250 Partition probably expanded too slowly and didn't "whop" the elk in the manner that I like.

I've had stellar results with the 210 Partition and the 225 Accubond. Both can be pushed faster than the 250's and both still fully penetrate and elk. Lung shots with these are zero issue and DRT is the norm. I wouldn't use a 250 Partition, personally.

If you must shoot a 250, use the Sierra. My little bro (63) killed a couple of his last elk with them and they worked beautifully. No bullet recovery but plenty of damage and DRT.

Zeke

I think the 250 Partition probably expanded too slowly and didn't "whop" the elk in the manner that I like.

I've had stellar results with the 210 Partition and the 225 Accubond. Both can be pushed faster than the 250's and both still fully penetrate and elk. Lung shots with these are zero issue and DRT is the norm. I wouldn't use a 250 Partition, personally.

If you must shoot a 250, use the Sierra. My little bro (63) killed a couple of his last elk with them and they worked beautifully. No bullet recovery but plenty of damage and DRT.

Zeke
+1 for the 250 Sierra, it's a really killer in that cartridge. Really, any 200-250 grain hunting bullet placed somewhere in the vitals will get the job done. 225s are kind of the sweet spot, most guns will shoot them at 2850+ fps handloaded.

Im torn between 210 Noslers and 250 Barnes X. Both of them work well out of my Pre64.

I don’t shoot a 338 but I’m a huge fan of Berger VLD bullets. So much so that I had a rifle built and chambered around those bullets. Most accurate bullet I’ve shot. 66 gr of H4831sc lit by a Federal 215 pushin a 168 VLD is a one hole load for my rifle. Mine is a 7 mm Remington mag. I’ve shot everything from mice to moose with the 168 Berger from all ranges out to 600 yards. 99% have been one shot kills. A cow elk at 589 yards took two shots but would have tipped over from the first. A bull elk at 40 yards got two also. The second was for good measure but the first would have done its job. Everything else has dropped on the spot. Some like em but some don’t.

For some reason my rifle doesn't care for the 225's, although I have only used the powders you mentioned so maybe there's another powder that will perform with the 225's. I had to shoot copper on an elk hunt on a military base and switched over to 210 Barnes and my rifle absolutely loves them. No problems anchoring an elk. Elk absorb energy like a sponge so don't get discouraged with your current load. I shot an elk twice on a hunt in Idaho and I swore I missed both shots based on no reaction by the bull. Luckily, I decided to go have a look and found the bull dead about 100yds over the hill with 2 lung shot holes nearly touching...I always go for their running gear now.

I think the problem here is you’re afraid to shoot the .338. It’s too much gun for you. I would recommend a 7mm 08. If you like hair accessories a 6.5. Leave the magnums for the men.

Now before you pipe up that those are too small of calibers I’ve been on over 30 moose kills. Mostly Alaska moose but a moose is a moose. They all died easy.

I think the problem here is you’re afraid to shoot the .338. It’s too much gun for you. I would recommend a 7mm 08. If you like hair accessories a 6.5. Leave the magnums for the men.

Now before you pipe up that those are too small of calibers I’ve been on over 30 moose kills. Mostly Alaska moose but a moose is a moose. They all died easy.
lol, you’re a funny guy , not funny haha , but funny hum hum . how ever a .338wm & 340 Roy are mules in comparison to the 338-06 or 35 whelen, 358win

Still trying to figure out how three 250 gr Bullets to the lungs didn’t work or was a “mistake”? Pics one arrow to an elks lungs. Watched it die inside 30 yards. You sure you hit it all three times?

5EB72725-85E2-4B6B-B08A-63AC9AB9B6E6.jpeg

Maybe zero expansion, and pencil through, I shot a big Mexican white tail that took 2 180gr 300wm before I shot him in the shoulders and broke him down .
we have had caribou run 200+ yards on rib shots before falling, I usually like a anchor shot in the front shoulders

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for a flatter shooting load. I appreciate the comments recommending bullet weights, I have considered the Barnes. I appreciate the info on the 250gr. Nosler expansion issues you have experienced. I'm trying to get help from people that hunt elk every year. My elk hunting goes years between hunts. After nearly 40 plus whitetail kills I've changed to a shoulder shots. I realize elk are not whitetails. Same with black bear. Bust the shoulders and wait on the death moan. I'll let you know why I end up with. Thanks once again.

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for a flatter shooting load. I appreciate the comments recommending bullet weights, I have considered the Barnes. I appreciate the info on the 250gr. Nosler expansion issues you have experienced. I'm trying to get help from people that hunt elk every year. My elk hunting goes years between hunts. After nearly 40 plus whitetail kills I've changed to a shoulder shots. I realize elk are not whitetails. Same with black bear. Bust the shoulders and wait on the death moan. I'll let you know why I end up with. Thanks once again.
Really? Shoulder shots? There’s no bullet choice that can help you.

Out of the four dozen or so elk I have taken, at least a dozen bulls were by using the 210 Nosler and I can't remember ever recovering a spent bullet. It can be loaded to be a couple hundred fps faster than their excellent 250, and it is a tough bullet.

I have had good luck with the 225 Barnes and the 250 Nosler on bigger game (eland, etc.), but they would also be good choices for elk. I doubt that your 250 Nosler failed to expand.

I have yet to meet an elk, or animal for that matter that took any trauma to lungs and didn’t die in short order. I have met several animals that met hunters with calibers they had no business shooting, and walked away with bullets in places they shouldn’t have been.

Most of those hunters swore up and down that the bullet was in a location other then the place it actually was.

With my Ruger .338 win I've killed many elk with 225 Speer bullets and 200 & 225 Nosler Accubonds. Shot thru the ribs, behind the shoulder and in the lower 2/3rds of the chest, they all die quickly. No matter what the caliber, the higher the lung shot the less the blood trail. Shoulder shots not needed unless you want to drive through heavy bone on quartering to shots. I've done it, but don't prefer to. A 225 will drive completely through a shoulder arm, heart/lungs and still after that kind of blow an elk will stand on their feet till they fall over in place. It numbs them, but makes a mess. You can drive the 200 around 3000 fps, maybe more, and the 225's a little over 2900 with the right loads if your rifle likes them. My recommendation is don't shoot too hard a bullet at slow velocities. If Barnes, try the 210 and drive it as fast as you can but it may be only as fast or slower than a 210 partition. Partitions have one of the softer front noses and expand reliably. When most bullets were simple, softer, and lighter constructed back in the day, the 338 win ruled the elk woods because that big chunk of lead penetrated so well. For that matter and the moderate velocities the 338 win produces, softer bullets will give you more of a 'terminal effect' when you place the bullet in the lower half of the chest. After my accubonds are shot up, I have a few boxes of Sierra 225 Pro Hunters waiting that should work just great also. Just keep in mind, around 400 yards, a 180 out of a 300 win mag will carry more energy and speed than most 338 win mag loads and bonded or monolithic bullets may not be the best choice beyond that. My 2 cents.

With my Ruger .338 win I've killed many elk with 225 Speer bullets and 200 & 225 Nosler Accubonds. Shot thru the ribs, behind the shoulder and in the lower 2/3rds of the chest, they all die quickly. No matter what the caliber, the higher the lung shot the less the blood trail. Shoulder shots not needed unless you want to drive through heavy bone on quartering to shots. I've done it, but don't prefer to. A 225 will drive completely through a shoulder arm, heart/lungs and still after that kind of blow an elk will stand on their feet till they fall over in place. It numbs them, but makes a mess. You can drive the 200 around 3000 fps, maybe more, and the 225's a little over 2900 with the right loads if your rifle likes them. My recommendation is don't shoot too hard a bullet at slow velocities. If Barnes, try the 210 and drive it as fast as you can but it may be only as fast or slower than a 210 partition. Partitions have one of the softer front noses and expand reliably. When most bullets were simple, softer, and lighter constructed back in the day, the 338 win ruled the elk woods because that big chunk of lead penetrated so well. For that matter and the moderate velocities the 338 win produces, softer bullets will give you more of a 'terminal effect' when you place the bullet in the lower half of the chest. After my accubonds are shot up, I have a few boxes of Sierra 225 Pro Hunters waiting that should work just great also. Just keep in mind, around 400 yards, a 180 out of a 300 win mag will carry more energy and speed than most 338 win mag loads and bonded or monolithic bullets may not be the best choice beyond that. My 2 cents.
TY outstanding information.

One thing I like about the .338 WM for elk is you just don’t have to worry about the bullet/load.

ANY reasonable bullet, pushed at ANY reasonable velocity, placed in the boiler room will kill elk.

Any factory load will get you pass trough's and dead animals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom