34 Muzzle Elk

Riggo

I was wondering if anyone had specific thoughts in regards to rut activity for the muzzle season? G/F has moved this season back farther into the month over the last few years {Oct 15-19} and of course I'm hopeful that my partner and i can enjoy some of that vocal trash and hopefully some non call shy bulls. Also, realistic expectations on size of bulls beings theres been quite a shortage on moisture and some fires--would that affect horn growth dramaticly? It sounds like the monsoons are happening and the tanks are becoming full again so thats great news. Is sitting water a key component that time of the year or the spot/stalk in those tough to get spots the key strategy?? Thanks in advance for any posts in advance. Good luck to all!
Riggo

This hunt is nothing like it used to be. It used to be the best in the unit IMO, but, now I do not even apply for it.
Unit 34 is not what it was 5 years ago either. It used to be a safe bet that if you hunted hard in any of the bull seasons you would get a opportunity at least a 300"+ bull and the potential for a 350"+ bull.

Also, it used to be that any "real" herd bull would be well over 300" Not the case. In the last few years I have seen several 270" bulls with 5-10 cows in the peak of the rut.

If you hunt hard you still should get into a decent bull. There will be some bugling that late, but, much less. By the time you hunt there will have been a lot of hunts that have already happened and lots of people in the field. There are still a few real good bulls in the unit, but, a lot less.

I do not think sitting water is a good option for a 5 day hunt unless you find a really good wallow that is getting pounded.

Spent last weekend looking for bulls in this unit. My cousin drew his first tag ever. He has the youth hunt in Oct. I spent all day in the mountains. Saw lots of cows 250+ 9 bulls that were all spikes, and four bigger bulls in the low country. The biggest bull I saw was a 5x6 barely. Here is the best pic I could get. Not looking like a good year down there this year

8948aug_20110008.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom