36 bull and found rangefinder

shoot

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-13 AT 09:33AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-13 AT 08:10?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-13 AT 08:04?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-13 AT 08:00?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-13 AT 07:17?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-13 AT 07:09?PM (MST)

First off, I found a range finder in unit 36 if you lost it or know somebody that did, pm me and I will get it back to you.I will be in Ruidoso till the end of the first rifle deer hunt. After that I can mail it.

I've had good luck drawing NR tags in New Mexico, but I have never drawn a bull tag.I've taken my share of cows but this would be my first bull. So going home empty handed was not an option.

On the first day I was in 2 & half miles from the truck and only seen 1 spike and 1 rag horn together. 2 hours later I busted them out of their beds in the next draw 70 yards out. They jumped up I hit a couple notes on a cow call and stop them.
A couple more notes and they started to circle in. I kept it up whenever they stopped until they were 10 yards out. We had a stare off for what seemed like 5 minutes. Until they decided something wasn't right and slowly walked off. That made my day right there. After that I didn't see anything the rest of the day. Where I'm hunting I have to leave by 4:30 to make it out at dark.

Day 2
I went to the same area and right off I see the same spike alone in the same spot as where I called them in. I hiked in a little further this day and spotted a bull in front of me about 80 yards out. The trees were just too thick to get a good look at his head gear. He stay put for some time, I was down wind but he knew something was up. He moved out and I never got a good look at him other than his hind quarter and nose. The area had good sign all over but I felt I just could not get in early enough or stay late enough to take advantage of it.

Day 3
I went to another area I've seen lots of bulls. I hiked in before light and spotted a couple nice bucks at sunrise but no elk sign at all not even on the ground. I hiked to some other spots in the area and it was the same thing zip.

So I beelined it back to the truck and went to a spot I glass up A nice 6x6 three weeks ago. I set out through the junipers and in 45 minutes I spot this bull bedded.
I didn't give myself time to think twice about it and dropped down prone and took the shot. His head fell and it was over.
I can't tell you how happy I was and that I had one on the ground clean if you know what I'm saying. No tracking, worries, ect.

This was at 3:00 pm I got him skinned and quartered went back to the truck and got my frame pack. I picked up the head and pissed a circle around the meat, prayed the Coyotes would not get to it. I made it back to the truck after nightfall. The next day I got all the meat out untouched by the dogs. It took 5 hours nonstop work. This was my easiest elk pack out ever.
The shot was 165 yards with a 338 rum 210 gr partition to the neck.

Wish me luck on the deer hunt.
Congratulations to all you successful hunters and good luck to all of you who are still out there.
John
141420131028_145322.jpg

That's great you are trying to give the range finder back to it's owner ! I can't see the pic but it sounds like a great hunt. Congrats !! 36 can wear a man out just hiking around in it let alone hauling 1/4's out of it.

Sounds like a great hunt.

there are 2 ways to post pics. Use a service (free) like photo bucket and then cut and paste the url.

Or go right above where you post and in the red print it says go here to post pics.

Click, browse and find your pick, upload it, then cut and paste the URL that MM posts up.

Good luck on finding those bucks again.

Nice bull! You got me excited when I saw lost range finder but I lost my Leopold RX 1000 in 34 bummer.

Nice bull congrats! You got me excited when I saw lost rangefinder but I lost my Leopold RX 1000 in 34 bummer.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom