36a-4 Idaho Mountain goat....Germania Creek...Help!

broomd

Looking for info for this unit 36a-4...I was lucky to draw.
Germania Creek, Washington Basin area north of Ketchum.

Any help appreciated!

Hey Broomd, I met you and your wife on your Cali Bighorn hunt, my sister inlaw had the tag too. One of my friends drew this hunt in 05', he took a 9 1/4" billy early in the season. Havent been back in the area since then but I can point you in the right direction.

Excellent, Elrod, I was hoping you lurked on this forum!
I remember you telling me you used an old mule trail to get to the goats??...

I'll pm you with some contact info, do the same if you would...

208J, I'll use horses, a dirk bike, a wheeler, whatever I need to kill a good billy. Pass any info you might have.
Very appreciative, guys!

I've spent a fair amount of time on the ridge that seperates Germania and the eastfork of the salmon. There are usually some goats at the top of Alta Cr and the 2 creeks to the north. Unfortunatly that ridge is the border of your area, and the animals go back and forth on that ridge.
I have used a Dirt bike in the past because you can ride up the eastfork and glass that whole side of the ridge, then you can go back down Germania and glass the other side. The germania trail is pretty low in the canyon, so you'll need to hike up the other side of Germania just to get enough elevation to see the top of this ridge. It might be worth a look.

JB

Thanks for the intel, 208. I'm downloading some good maps and I'll research that ridgeline.

I'll be scouting the area for a week in July...

Spent a week down there scouting a couple of weeks ago.
Saw 24-25 goats spread out over a large area, but they are there.
Still looking for Mr. Big Billy, but it was nice to lay eyes on goats.

Did some fishing at Washington Lake too...gorgeous country.

DSCN3653-1.jpg

DSCN3660.jpg

5 years ago you could find mountain goats at will while glassing the ridge lines. Not so much the last few years. I was up in that country this past week and watched some of the places that we have seen goats in the past. Sorry to report, I didn't find a single goat. Hopefully they have just moved farther up Germania, where I couldn't see them. Wish you luck on the hunt. That country is good for the soul, enjoy the journey...

Thanks for the insights, Tank.
I agree with you, there aren't goats behind every rock down there.
They can be tough to find.
Ironically, it's pretty easy to find postings over the last decade from guys who have seen lots of goats down there, but my experience tells me that they are in specific spots and in small numbers, especially billies.
Wife drew 36a-1 in '09 and finding goats was very tough.

I've seen them in my 36a-4 unit in decent numbers so I'm encouraged...but a good billy could be a challenge. Time will tell.

Well, the first of my two Mountain goat tags came to a close.
I took a nice Alaskan billy...
DSCN3725_2.jpg

IMAG0047_2.jpg

Idaho billy hopefully to come next month!

Awesome congrats! Two questions...

Whats up with the green stuff on his lips?
And....
Is that the C4E element jacket? Do you like it? I have mine but haven't really gotten to try it out yet but from what I see its an awesome piece of gear!

Mike

He had a mouthful of scrub he was chewing on when I threw lead at him.

Core4element clothing is fantastic. I'm not a gear whore, never been one and when I decided to buy this $125 coat it was with trepidation.
I'm extremely pleased. I wore it most of the week in drizzle and only put on the Marmot precip raingear when it downpoured.
The C4E jacket is almost exactly the same as the sitka 90% and it's half the price when you nail it at Camofire...

Thats awesome! I also picked up the element pants n jacket at camofire and can't wait to get out and use it more this fall...

Mike

One more week! Wife and I are stoked and ready to hit the high country.
It will be nice to hunt Idaho rather than Alaska with the many grizzly bears we had to deal with (19!)

Best of luck to all hitting the high country this Fall!

Just got back from a week elk hunt in the general area. Saw lots of goat and wasn't really looking for them. You are still in bear territory. Talked to a guy on Tuesday who had a bear come in on him while he was quartering a bull. Had to give him a taste of bear spray. Good luck to you, that is beautiful country. Enjoy your hunt!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-11 AT 11:15PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-11 AT 11:12?PM (MST)

Had a great hunt with many memories.
Fishing was fabulous--caught many cutthroat and even a 16" arctic grayling!
Two billies in one year... A goat hunting year of a lifetime!

DSCN3772.jpg

DSCN3750_2-1.jpg

DSCN3768.jpg

DSCN3777.jpg

>Thanks for the help everybody, PM
>me if you draw this
>tag...I'll help.

thanks for the pic's and congrats to you!! I had that tag 14 years ago when it was an archery hunt only and really enjoyed that country, truly awesome country!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom