39-2 late archery

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
Put in for 39-2 late archery today. The dates just work as im committed for blacktail and elk. This will be my first time hunting Idaho. Who has hunted this unit and has something to say? Appreciate it.

Tough hunt, the deer have been chased for 4 months. Granted 39 has one of the largest deer migration in the country this hunt can be very weather dependent. Good luck!

Looking at the map there is quite of bit of national forest around 6-7kfeet. Are most of the resident bucks higher than that prior to snowfall? When it snows hard how low do they come right down to to the outskirts of town?

If you get the weather the bucks can come down to the outskirts. You will see a ton of deer and if the weather is right you can see some crankers. The area you get to hunt is very limited and most people access this hunt in the same few areas. You need to really do your research and find those pockets that are not getting pounded by every other hunter that can glass the bucks from the roads. Practice those long shots!!

We are in bucks each day we hunt up there, lots of people do not hunt the pockets well. The only gay thing is people group hunt up there and 10 guys corner the same buck, only 2 of the guys have tags too.

Go as high as you can, the higher you go the more bucks you will see. Most of the other hunters stay in the same area. It snowed last year and I didn't see an other foot prints in the snow for a week.

Most people also go later in the hunt, I actual see more bucks the first half of the hunt up top.

For sure practice out to about 55-60 yards

>The area around Atlanta is in
>the hunt area correct? Is
>this a good place to
>start?

Your close about 65 miles down river....

Is this that bull$hit "triangle" hunt?

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

First time I've heard it referred to as that but yes, the unit looks like a triangle. I take you it you had a bad experience.

Last year on last week of the hunt there was snow up there, but everyone with a tag was by the road hunting or within eye sight of the road. Nobody goes far back. We walk in 6 mile in the dark to a draw we like to hunt. We might even ditch a tent and camping gear up there before they close the gates.

If you want a doe you will have shots all day long at them but the later in the hunt they get skidish. If you want a 4x4+ we get chances each year at them. Locate them in their bed and plan out a stalk.

This is no easy hunt but rewarding.

One thing to consider is you have to take a special archery class just to hunt it. Dont know if anyone already mentioned that or not but its a requirement. Also, make sure you pay attention to the map they give you and hunt ethical. The only way to continue that hint is to keep it clean. Like another guy stated, party hunters, trespassers, and people not obeying the road closures outs a sour taste in peoples mouths. Iv hunted that hunt and had tons of fun! I was hiking in around 5 miles each day to areas i liked and saw a log of decent bucks even though the year i hunted had the warmest winter in the last 20 years! With good weather you will love it! The bucks are always on the move and does are all over so stalking requires a little more patience. And that other guy is right. Start practicing your long shots. My shot was 60yds a couple years ago and last year at 59. Had a few around the 80 mark but decided to pass on that shot

Looks like i didn't get that tag this year. I am willing to help someone out this year if they want a free guide lol

log onto the idaho fish and game site and go to purchase a license online, input your info and if it gives you an option to purchase a CH( controled hunt tag) then your in.

I would be happy to help you out. good workout for me

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom