39 early buck....big bulls n bears

M

miker2

Saw a couple huge bulls Wed. bugling like crazy and breeding cows. Saw a couple smallish bears....still no bucks.

Any body scouting 39 been seeing bucks anywhere? We have hunting N (Goat) of the fires and W (Steel) and S (Lava) of the fires. Seen a few dink bucks and does...deer few and far between.

Haven't seen anything up high....thinking the hot summer shriveled dried up most of the feed up high. Sure looks like it. All the deer we have seen have been lower.

Message me if you have any deer intel....I will trade info on where we saw the bulls for deer info.

Thanks

Mike, I have not had the time to do any scouting this year in 39. Am going to try and make it up there next Saturday. If I see anything will let you know

Chuck in Boise
KC7PWO

The Bucks I have been seeing in the last few weeks have been as high as possible. Try glassing the steep rugged south/easterly slopes in the mornings on the taller mountains or at the end of the canyons in your area. It will sometimes take all morning to catch a glimpse but they are there. I usually find more mature Bucks higher on the mountain and/or further up the canyon then the Does this time of year.

With the way the fire burnt the area in 39 that I hunt when i have this tag I'd try hunting the area West of prarie I was up there yesterday its really not as bad as I heard but a fire is a fire wildlife will move try hunting some of the canyon areas I have seen some decent bucks in previous years

Yeah we have been hunting up high and seeing nothing not even tracks. I imagine when we do find a basin with some bucks there will a nice group of them.
We hunted W of Prairie last weekend up on top of Lava, no deer on top that we could find. We went all the way in to the lakes. We guessed the deer would have been pushed up there by the fire...apparently not. Going to try the Trinities and S of Atlanta next weekend.
We are going to do a day hunt to Lava again this afternoon...maybe we will have better luck this time.

Supposed to snow 6" Thursday night in the mountains...this could get interesting.

Amazing that country seems game-less at times, then when the snow hits, you get trampled by 5000+ deer. That early hunt is a rough one but you can get real LUCKY....

Exactly that...I heard someone shot a 215 up there this early season...very cool. I looked to see if any pics had been posted but didn't find any. I think I will hit the n end of Lava friday after the snow...maybe some will have moved in there.

Yeah I was up yesterday. Saw a bunch of elk n does n fawns and a couple bears. Not a single buck. Saw lots of tracks up in 8 inches of snow. Then on the way out saw rivers of tracks coming off the back side of Steele Mtn.
I wonder if they migrated all the way down to Arrowrock. I talked to a guy who said Anderson Ranch had deer everywhere.

I am going back out Sun Mon. Just hard to decide where to go when I have the entire deer migration practically to myself ;).

So how did it go Miker??? went up around thorn creek lookout yesterday, saw lots of elk hunters, only saw a couple deer.
My season does not start til the 10th. Have not come up with a plan yet.

Chuck in Boise

It could have gone better. If I had been in the right place the day after it snowed would have been good. Then the last two days it rained and mud slides.
Quite a few roads were closed due to logging and mud slides.
Fires and mud slides and logging oh my...haha.

Still it was fun and my son and I got to spend a lot of time together without a zillion other hunters being around....so all in all...it was a fun hunt.

So this last weekend we hunted antelope in 40-1. We looked all day and the very last place we spotted a group of 20 with one small buck through the binos from a couple miles away.....they were VERY spooky. We got within 200 yards on our stalk but the wind was swirling and gave us away before we could get to where we could see them....we watched them run for 3 miles and off over a hill. It was a fun stalk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom