4.5-14 vs. 6.5-20

maxxbob1

I plan to get a new scope for a 7mm Rem Mag. I'm leaning toward the Zeiss Conquest scope with target turrets. It will be used in fairly open country for elk to 500 or 600 yards. I have a 4-12x40 on my antelope gun, and I think I would like at least a 4.5-14x44 scope on my elk rifle, but I've considered the 6.5-20x50. I know many guys on here have experience hunting with the higher powers, so I would like to get your opinions & advice.
Thanks,
Bob

I'm in the same boat but i'm looking at Vortex. Is a 4-14 power going to be enough for the long range? I think it will but I would like to hear a few peoples opinion on this.

I prefer 6-20x scopes or higher on my varmint guns. My favorite big game scope is the 4-16 range. I have a few of the 5.5-16x Nikons, 4.5-14x Leupys, and 4.5-14x Zeiss Conquests. This allows reducing the magnification to a slightly lower level compared to a 6-20x which is nice if you enter dark timber and the shot distance is reduced. Cranking the magnification up allows for more than adequate shot placement and last second target identification at 14-16x.

In my opinion go w/the 4.5 X 14. Elk are a hell of a lot bigger than varmints. Jack O'Connor said it was a waste of time to use any big game scope above 8X. I know times have changed a lot in 30 years, but Wayne VanZwoll says that any big game hunting scope above 16X is not practical becuase of the difficulties of holding the reticle steady in hunting positions. Go w/ the 14X. That way you could still have a good chance to make a 50 yd offhand shot in the timber at 4.5X if you happen to run into the one you want in the scrum.

--DHE

Sounds like you would be better off with the 14X. Like stated above, deer and elk are large enough that aiming with a 14X would be no problem at your max distances. Having said that, I put 6.5 x 20's on my guns cause I like having a little more magnification to see details my bino's may have missed if I don't have a spotter.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-09 AT 05:47PM (MST)[p]I hunted with a 3x9 for years in alot of thick timber and never took it below 6 power. I would go with the 6.5x20. That Conquest 6.5x20 with turrets is one awesome scope. Once you get it, work up your loads and get a custom turret from Kenton Industries.
I have been looking at the Leupold Mark II 6x18 with mil dot for my old '06. Good luck on your decision

6.5X is too much if you suprise something close. 4x16 is great but even better is the Swaro 4x24 Z6. Pricey though.

Another thing to consider is the length and diameter of the scope. I considered the two scopes you are looking at and went with the 4.5-14 because it is more compact and imo is plenty of magnification for big game.

I have the scope you are talking about on a Sako 7mm and I really like it. It is the clearest scope, and you can dial and shoot with the target knobs. I hope to use this gun for shots up to 800 yards as I get proficient enough with it and the scope will be handy at really long distance, like it is on the bench. Having said that, you certainly don't need more that 10x for any elk, let alone 20x, and it is HEAVY.

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom