40 3rd vs 44 2nd.

Broomer

I want to put in for one of these units this year 2014. I can draw either one. Looking for a sweet trophy, 190 type buck. I'll hunt hard but by mid hunt I'd kill a 180 as soon as I see one. That is my hope/expectation so I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. I'm coming from Utah. Thanks

Ps: I know 40 has lots of privet but I'd navigate it. I'm leaning toward 44 only because it he dates interfere less with other obligations.

Big boys in both. Success in 40 is 70%, in 44 is 50%. However, that takes into account all the private land hunters, so it may be skewed in 40.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

40 would be your best option for a "sweet trophy" with your expectations/hopes and points. That is if you're willing to pay tresspass fews, book with an outfitter, have ties with some land owners.... 44 is a great unit but 2nd is a tough hunt. I know guys that have killed some good bucks in it during the second season, but its due to having a very intimate knowledge of the unit. Showing up saying your goals a 190 and you'll settle for a 180 mid week is a very lofty goal for a second season hunt. Alot of the pigs in 44 don't show up unit heavy snow or the rut drives them to the winter range, they are basically ghosts during the month of october from my experience. Not saying taking a large buck in second season can't be done in 44. But it is no walk in the park as say 3rd season with a good amount of snow or a 4th season can be at times..

Colorado

Give Mike Brownlee a call regarding the second season and the monster he shot a couple years ago. That could be rumor , but COBOY may know about it.

44 is a tough hunt if the weather doesn't concentrate the big boys down low. I have not hunted 2nd season, but have been there during 4th several times for elk. The years where there was little snow and nice weather you don't see much. I am assuming they are in the aspen jungle.

Oilcan is on the money for the most part. Varies from seller to seller from what I've seen. The ones I've seen listed have been in the 4,000 to 6000 mark.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom