Gudari

I drew the controlled deer tag, and spent all of my time scouting the border area with high hopes of lots of snow in Nevada and rutting bucks all over the place. It seems that isn't the case this year. I have seen some deer, nothing mature that I wanted to shoot, and LOTS of elk. I also checked out the Crab Creek basin area, but it was fogged in and visibility was limited. If anyone has any other suggestions on areas I could check out, or places with better numbers of resident deer, I would sure appreciate a pm.

Thanks

my buddy hunted SE of Riddle a few miles with this tag and saw some nice bucks but couldn't get on them.

This is second hand info but I talked to a farmer in bruneau a couple years ago who said to hunt as close to cultivated fields as possible.

my grandpa and his buddy shot 2 the beginning of last week. 1*246gross and the other 232 gross. both next to water and agriculture. both bucks were reall swollen and with does. the bigger neck was about as big around as a large steering wheel they said. i only saw pics since there at the taxidermist. this was the lowlands north eastern part of unit down low closest to mountain home still trying to get pics of pics since they are 35mm. ill post when i can take better pics of them. good luck

I want pictures. I am in this unit about 70+ days a year. I am WAY over that number this year. I can tell you for a fact the kind of deer your talking about are just as probable as a unicorn. If you would have said 30" 3x4 or 4x4 with crab claws I would have said ya those kind are there. I don't believe a 246 and a 232 came out of that area. Ron

Ron,

I thought the same thing when I saw the post about 2 monster bucks in 41, I want pictures too! I have spent a lot of time in 41 over the last 15 years, I have never seen or heard of bucks of that caliber out there. Take care guys and happy hunting!

-Ed

ill try to get them up this weekend. i drive 5days a week so its hard to cram everything in. our great uncle is a licensed scorer and was running over how to do it with them on the phone so there could be a minor airer or two but i believe the gross scores. the taxxidermist in mountain home said they were the biggest ones he had come in in a long time. not to worry though there should be one more coming this weekend that they have there eyes on. great uncle also got drawn for the party permit so he'll be out after him tomorrow and this weekend. good luck!

I saw a unicorn in unit 43 it was standing next to the 210 inch buck I saw killed on Oct 30th. But that couldn't happen because all the deer leave 43 in that early migration, right?

All of us have ideas about units and the deer in them. They can be disproved at anytime.

Let's cut this guy some slack until we see the pics.

Being a chukar hunter that has a lot of time and knowledge of the area and the animals in it I am going to have to say even with pictures I am going to be UN convinced. The size of animals that are being talked about here are just not there. Sorry to be a skeptic but I do know the area. Ron

Ron,

I don't spend 70 days in the area. But I spend a good 20-25 days in unit 41 and 42 chukar hunting and archery antelope hunting. I agree with you with the exception that I've seen a real monster near Bruneau when I was headed out to go duck hunting.

idahoron...that's ok i understand cause if you were there you would believe. are you fairly familiar with the top corner on highway 51? i'll meet you half way in theory. the unit does get migrant deer and being on the corner of the unit i would assume they were. also we know some guys who were 2point hunting in there a few weeks before and didn't see a single deer. ill try to post them this weekend. also idaho ron do you want some chuckar locations? im not a wing shooter so im not quite sure how hunters work there areas. found an excellent spot right out side of town by canyon creek.

k keep your eyes open a little bit later today im having problems now getting them off my phone on to here. mm isn't recognizing my phone so ill stop off at a truck stop and get laptop out and post them. oh and just now got word that my great uncle just shot big boy #3 supposedly as big if not bigger but won't have those pics till a later time. i knew i should have put in for the hunt with them and now kicking myself for it .sigh.

im sorry guys for all the delay! i hope the wait is worth it. for you at home pic scores you cannot judge off of regular ear length, the wider buck had 28" ear width tip to tip, and the other had 26" ear width tip to tip. bigger buck was 29" wide and other is 28".
7127grandpa_deer1.jpg

167grandpa_deer2.jpg

27grandpa_deer3.jpg

1747jim_deer1.jpg

also the 3rd buck shot i had miss understood he was 25" and was a 1x4 i believe, he would have been a perfectly semetrical 4 point but i guess he took a head dive into the rocks and broke off a bunch of points. he was disapointed when he found him that way but was glad to get his buck. no pictures were taken of that buck, sorry.

those are a couple nice deer, but your scores are way, way off. i see a couple mid to low 180 class bucks. shooters for sure, but not what you think they are (score wise). thanks for posting them though.

WoW, 170 and 160 type bucks. Where's the rest of the 70 to 80 inches of bone. Nice bucks, but someone needs to learn how to read a tape measure! Sorry just get a little bent when scores get muffed so badly.

ridgeline outdoors

The first 12" of the tape measure is gone. Buck #3 and #4 look good.
Ok I might believe the first two pics were unit 41 but no way to tell. Most of the typical bucks I see there have crab claws and I have NEVER seen a deep fork buck but I am going to give you some room here. The fact is like the other guys have said the first two pics are 180 top! Through the fog of the other pic I am not seeing mid 200 bucks ghosting out. Ron

This is a typical unit 41 buck. I have seen a few larger in spread but no deep forks that are needed to go above 170. I am sure that I have not seen the very best the unit has to offer but I am also sure that from the Nevada border to the town of bruneau there are no bucks in the 230 range. Sorry I don't buy it. Ron

owyheebrute15.jpg

owyheebrute25.jpg

owyheebrute35.jpg

i really suck at the whole pic scoring and i have not seen them in person, at least not for another 10 months. grandpa had mentioned he may have hit the x instead of + on accident or could not have done the correct math for them to begin with. i will agree that resident bucks of this unit are odd balls and given the time of year these are more than likely migration bucks but can assure you they were from this unit. the deep forks and Antler coloration indicate possibly pine tree bucks from the mountains?. scores aside they are both happy with them and i guess thats what counts when you get down to it.

definately a couple bucks to be happy with. again, thanks for posting. they arent monster bucks, score wise, but they are great deer. i'd shoot either one without hesitation.

I agree, who really cares about score. a 170 buck and a 190 buck are both great deer . I like using this system, nice buck , big buck , monster buck ,and the all out toad. so good job on the monster bucks , and there is no given rule that says a unit cant grow a big buck , there out there . just not many. so good job on those 41 bucks, awesome.

Thanks for sharing. Both shooter bucks and would be at the taxidermist if they were mine. Congrtas to the hunters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom