.410 turkey pistol is DONE!

3TOE

Very Active Member
I got my barrel back from Shultz Precision about a week ago. He straight rifled the 45/410 barrel & made 2 custom chokes for it.
I also purchased 2 other chokes custom made by Indian Creek.
I picked up my frame today from a local shop that I had cerakote it. I couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out. I plan to send some TSS down range this Sunday to check POI & find the best patterning choke.
IMG_1127.jpeg

I got my barrel back from Shultz Precision about a week ago. He straight rifled the 45/410 barrel & made 2 custom chokes for it.
I picked up my frame today from a local shop that I had cerakote it. I couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out. I plan to send some TSS down range this Sunday to check POI & find the best patterning choke.
View attachment 139791

That’s awesome. Please report back on how it patterns!

View attachment 139791
That’s awesome! Will be interested to hear what kind of range/ patterns you will get out of it.

25/30 yards seems reasonable with some 3 inch #9 TSS if it patterns right
That’s all I’m hoping for. I have 4 choke tubes with constrictions ranging from .385”-.408” & 3 different shot sizes to try, straight 9’s, straight 9.5’s & 9x10’s. All are 3” shells with 1 oz of shot.

It’s going to be an expensive range day. Lol

No sir! Like Mallard said, since I had it straight rifled it would be considered a pistol in the eyes of the ATF allowing me to essentially have a shotgun with a sub 18” barrel. She’s totally legal as is without registering as an SBS.
Does that go for other gauges as well or is that just because .410 is a caliber vs a gauge? I kinda want one of these now

Not sure how 3toe had his assembled? But I saw a company pushing something similar for 1200 bucks… I am all for it but 1200 is a bit hard to swallow for a 1 trick pony for me at the moment… will probably tote around a Stevens 301 .410 which is a fun Turkey shooter that I nabbed for 160 bucks

Does that go for other gauges as well or is that just because .410 is a caliber vs a gauge? I kinda want one of these now
Yes the law as it’s stated says that a “shotgun” should have a minimum length barrel of 18”.
My barrel was initially bored for .45 cal, but it also capable of shooting the .410 shotgun shells. Unless your plan is just to shoot a snake at 5 yards, the original rifled barrel would work fine.
Unfortunately the rifling does the same thing to the wad as it does a bullet… makes it spin. The rifling in the stock barrel with cause the shot column of the shot shell bb’s to spin creating a donut shaped pattern. I had the rifling reamed out & shallow strait rifling machined in, 1. to keep it legal & 2 to improve the pattern density.
The barrel is essentially over bored & that technically isn’t ideal. Mossberg came out with an over bored barrel years ago & it never caught traction in the industry.
I’m hoping that if I find a good shell / choke combination it will be just fine.
It’s a novelty item really, it was just something I have wanted to do for awhile & I think it will be a fun little gun to hunt with.

Not sure how 3toe had his assembled? But I saw a company pushing something similar for 1200 bucks… I am all for it but 1200 is a bit hard to swallow for a 1 trick pony for me at the moment… will probably tote around a Stevens 301 .410 which is a fun Turkey shooter that I nabbed for 160 bucks
All said & done for the components, machining & Cerakote, I’m in the 2K range on this one. Lol

Thanks, I’m pretty happy with it. Everyone that I’ve shown it to just smiles really big & says “I want to shoot it!” lol
Yes sir it is.

So today was a wasted day other than learning something new.
I got up at 5AM, drank coffee, woke up, loaded the truck & was on my way out to Cold Creek at 6AM where I go to shoot (45 min drive).

Unload the truck, set up my targets for patterning, load the pistol for the first shot with bird shot, just in case there are any surprises for the first shot. **** the hammer, pull the trigger… click! No boom. I pulled the shell to check the primer & no marks on the primer. I load it & try again with the same result. Check the firing pin selector & it’s set for center fire. Try a different shell… still no boom. After inspection, it appeared that the hammer wasn’t contacting the firing pin at all & stopped roughly 0.050” short of striking the pin.
I drove the 45 minutes home aggravated as hell & immediately get on the internet. After less than 10 minutes I learned that my locking lug on the barrel was probably the issue. What did we do before the internet?LOL I removed the locking lug from the barrel, gave it a good polish with some Flitz polishing compound on a dremel buffing wheel. Cleaned her up, dabbed some oil on it & put her back together. Success… the hammer drops all the way & hits the firing pin. My assumption is that by having my frame Cerakoted, the thickness of the Cerakote prevented the locking lug from fully engaging. Lesson learned… I might try to go back out tomorrow & try again.
For now, I’m going to go pick up a giant piece of tri-tip & salvage the rest of the day while I lick my wounds.

So today was a wasted day other than learning something new.
I got up at 5AM, drank coffee, woke up, loaded the truck & was on my way out to Cold Creek at 6AM where I go to shoot (45 min drive).

Unload the truck, set up my targets for patterning, load the pistol for the first shot with bird shot, just in case there are any surprises for the first shot. **** the hammer, pull the trigger… click! No boom. I pulled the shell to check the primer & no marks on the primer. I load it & try again with the same result. Check the firing pin selector & it’s set for center fire. Try a different shell… still no boom. After inspection, it appeared that the hammer wasn’t contacting the firing pin at all & stopped roughly 0.050” short of striking the pin.
I drove the 45 minutes home aggravated as hell & immediately get on the internet. After less than 10 minutes I learned that my locking lug on the barrel was probably the issue. What did we do before the internet?LOL I removed the locking lug from the barrel, gave it a good polish with some Flitz polishing compound on a dremel buffing wheel. Cleaned her up, dabbed some oil on it & put her back together. Success… the hammer drops all the way & hits the firing pin. My assumption is that by having my frame Cerakoted, the thickness of the Cerakote prevented the locking lug from fully engaging. Lesson learned… I might try to go back out tomorrow & try again.
For now, I’m going to go pick up a giant piece of tri-tip & salvage the rest of the day while I lick my wounds.
Well damnit 3TOE, at least it was an easy fix…

Been looking forward to haw it patterns. What choke you trying first .390, .385?
Me too! I’m going to start with the tightest choke I have at .385. I also have a .390 & both are Indian Creek chokes.
My Shultz chokes are .402 & .408

I was looking for a .410 barrel for my Encore a few months ago. Nobody had any in stock. And they were not cheap and anything under $600 was sold out. Heck, the only 45 cal. Muzzy barrels I found were very expensive also.
Just going to have to keep checking every week is so. Really would like to have a 22” .410 barrel. Even though it will cost more than buying a CVA .410.
Might just buy a CVA to hold me over.

I was looking for a .410 barrel for my Encore a few months ago. Nobody had any in stock. And they were not cheap and anything under $600 was sold out. Heck, the only 45 cal. Muzzy barrels I found were very expensive also.
Just going to have to keep checking every week is so. Really would like to have a 22” .410 barrel. Even though it will cost more than buying a CVA .410.
Might just buy a CVA to hold me over.
I was able to find my barrels & receivers on Gunbroker. You are right though, none of it is cheap.
I side get a really good deal on an SSK-50 stainless receiver though. I swear it’s brand new & I have $350 for it.

Love it, I could see a folding 1913 brace in your future
I have an SSK folding stock that matches the forend & I put an Otisworks butt on it.
I ordered a 6mm ARC barrel for that set up with the intention of building it for my grandsons to whitetail hunt with.

I have an SSK folding stock that matches the forend & I put an Otisworks butt on it.
I ordered a 6mm ARC barrel for that set up with the intention of building it for my grandsons to whitetail hunt with.
That will be an awesome little whitetail set up!

I shot FRANK4TEN today & couldn’t be happier with the performance. Here’s a target at 25 yards With a .385 Indian Creek choke & 1 oz Foxtrot Legend straight 9.5’s TSS. I shot 2 other shells & 2 other chokes & this set up patterned best. I wouldn’t be hesitant at all to shoot out to 35 yards.
IMG_1286.jpeg

Patterns great. Looks like you are ready for turkey season. Did you try a .390 choke?
Thanks! Yeah I tried the .390 & the .402.
Both of them opened the pattern up a good bit.
The .390 liked the Apex straight 9’s at 20 yards but the pattern opened up more than I would be comfortable with at 30 yards.

After this turkey season, I might see if Indian Creek would make a .380 just to try it out. Either way, a 14” barrel patterning well out to 35 yards is honestly better than I expected.

I ended up tagging out in MS with the .410 pistol. I have 2 other guns that I’m really partial to turkey hunting with, but I expect that little pistol will see a good amount of time in the turkey woods before I hang up my turkey vest for the last time. A lot of fun & it puts a little extra challenge into the hunt.

That's awesome, congrats! I am also impressed because I shot a little 410/45 with the 16" rifled barrel and that 410 seemed almost hopeless at killing anything! The patterns were horrible and wouldn't break a clay pigeon on the ground at more than about 10 feet, so I am happy that yours is better!

That's awesome, congrats! I am also impressed because I shot a little 410/45 with the 16" rifled barrel and that 410 seemed almost hopeless at killing anything! The patterns were horrible and wouldn't break a clay pigeon on the ground at more than about 10 feet, so I am happy that yours is better!
The barrel work that I had done makes all the difference in the world how the pattern performed. The straight 9.5 TSS with the high pellet count helps too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom