42 cali sheep advice

kicker

Buddy drew a tag and is struggling to find sheep. I know how valuable this info is so i'm not expecting gps coordinates but a push in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Dont know 42 but the wife drew 46 a while back. We had the same problem, not alot of critters to choose from. When we did find rams they were on the upper 1/3 of the rims of the canyons. She scored on a legal ram after 13 days of hunting. Glassing is key. Hope he has quality binoes. Tough hunt, good luck.

sorry dont know anything about this unit but my dad drew a tag in washington last year and killed a beatiful ram, we were having troubles finding rams at first until we talked to the bio for the area and he pointed us in the right direction, that being said ive heard that idfg bios arent always as helpful with info as wdfws bios are, but it might be worth a shot to call and ask, either way man besides that little piece of advice just wanted to wish your buddy(and you since im sure youll be taggin along) the best of luck and i hope you guys are able to find a good ram or 2 for him to take

Well it all came together and my buddy got his ram Sunday. Thanks to all that helped. He ended up getting permission to cross a couple of ranches and that made the difference. 7 year old ram about average size. I will post pics soon............

Kicker

Here is a pic of the ram my buddy killed sunday on the opener. First shot at a big game animal ever and he downs a cali ram. Average ram aged at 7 years. Congrats Bob good shooting!!!

BobsSheep.jpg

Wasnt able to go on the hunt but I will tell you what I know. Scouted preseason but couldnt find decent access into area he was looking for. Couple days before the opener he gets ahold of a couple ranchers who gave him the green light to cross their land. Drove in Friday night in the dark. Saturday walked into the area and spotted 6 rams right off. Sat on them all day then headed back to camp. Next morning got up at four and headed in to find them again. Ended up in between two bands of sheep and spooked this one and two others. They continued on trying to find the other three from the day before to no avail. Headed back into the area where they spooked the sheep early and thanks to good glass they spotted them again. This time they left a spotter behind and two moved in for the shot. Crawled within 400 and change yards but Bob (the hunter) didn't feel comfortable at that range and so they made another attempt. Got within 250ish, settle in for the shot and one shot later he had his ram. Dressed, caped and quartered him up started the death march back. Guess the skull is insane heavy. Got all the meat back to the truck after 9 pm and packed up camp because one of the guys had to be at work at 6am the next morning. Rolled into Boise at 2am. As of last night the ram was checked by f&g, butchered and the cape is at the taxi. 26 years old, just finished hunters ed. in time to put in for sheep, drew it and makes a great harsh uphill shot!

For all you that hate him for making it sound so easy.....i'm with you. I am one of those who hasn't drawn a tag in 15 years here in my native Idaho. But what are ya' gonna do right????

Congrats! Tell me the adrenaline didn't shoot through your veins like a near death experience. How the heart just races and pounds like a jack hammer! Way cool! I am partaking in a sheep hunt with my friend who drew a tag in the Big Jacks creek unit...We did a stalk on 22 sheep with two rams too look at and they was just shy of being takers. Fun stalk though...
Can you post any more pictures of your ram with different angles so we can get more of an idea on the size. Beautiful ram, nice job and welcome too hunting and the outdoors!

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom