4200 vs. 6500 for 5 Day Hunt

FullCurlHunter

Anybody have any input on size of a pack needed for a 5 day highcountry early season Muley hunt?

Will 4200 be enough or do I need more. Specifically looking at the Mystery Ranch Wolf Alpha (4200 ci) and the Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 (6500 ci).

I can't seem to find any material stating a general rule of thumb for length of trips and pack size.

Thanks for the thoughts in advance.

It all depends on how big and heavy your gear is. If I were you and I thought I needed a big pack id get the Badlands 4500 backpack.

I don't see any advantages of getting a pack any larger. If you think you need to carry more gear get a horse.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

4200 should do it if you have lightweight and packable gear. You can usually tie stuff to the outside too if it really comes down to that.

Im in the opposite school, I like bigger packs because you don't have to fill them up, but sometimes you might need to do so, also if your in a hurry to get packed up, its easier to stuff and go with a bigger pack . The disadvantages are the cost of a bigger pack, and the weight in usually a little more. All modern packs compress to smaller sizes pretty well.

+1 piper I like bigger and then I shrink down as applicable. For 5 days I recommend 5400+ or 85L+

If you are big time in to the new trend of mega light weight packing; smaller will work.

Like mentioned above a 4200 will work. If you want to get the whole buck and camp out at once you better have ultralight gear for it to fit in the 4200.

For what it is worth, my Dall sheep outfitter says we need at least 6000inches for a 10 day hunt, so I am guessing a 4500 would work for half that time.

I did 9 days out of my 4500 quite easily. That's with every thing inside, nothing strapped on (45lbs). The point of a backpack hunt is not to see how big a pack, or how much weight you can carry. The point is to be as mobile as possible. Go lighter, go smaller and you'll go longer.

I assume you want to come out with a boned out muley and big antlers lashed to your pack. If that is the case, the MR 6500 is sweet pack.It distributes weight better than any pack you'll ever own and will cover you for 5-12 day hunts.

Excellent. Thanks for the thoughts. I like the flexibility of the Wolf Alpha sytem. It is the Wolf Alpha pack and the Wolf Pup removable Sleeping System Department that can go on the bottom of the pack if you need the storage. THis way it can be a 3 day pack to a 10 day hunt pack.

I still may go with the 6500 since I have read so many good things about this pack. I cannot find much on the Wolf Alpha as i think it is rather new.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom