44/444 Rifle Bear!

monstermuleyman

I’ve got some good advice from close friends but thought I’d throw it out and see if anyone else has bear tactics, tips, etc. since it is spot and stalk during their hyperphagia stage! Personal thoughts on total bear numbers in the units? Hit it the beginning of Sep or the last? Good luck to all who drew a tag!

Fall bear hunting is tough... however some of the best bear hunting I’ve personally had have been on drought years. Best advice is find drainages that hold the food (berries) and water. Typically on hot/ dry summers like this bears will be pack into areas that have these things. Spend as much time behind the glass as you can. Blind hiking for bears seldom works out out.

Coloradoboy

Coloradoboy!
I tried sending you a text a while back but I guess you have changed your number? Also, looks like you have your PMs disabled. Would love to talk to you more if you are inclined!
Thanks

From my understanding, the USFS closure map has most if not all of 444 open and part of 44 closed. The closure map reflects the primary concern appears to lay north of I70. The biggest issue doesn’t seem to be the fire itself but the road closures restricting access. If they allowed for limited access up cottonwood pass (ie- no wide loads, or semi trucks), I think hunting those units would remain largely unscathed. Hopefully some good weather will help out the firefighters.

Assume you have an archery bear tag? I've hunted 444 a lot for elk but not this year since they made it Limited Entry. I'd have to say that each year, we've seen more and more bear sign and many hunters we talk to verify they've seen lots of bears. I do find it odd that from most reports and stories I've read on the elk/deer decline, most of the blame goes to recreationalist and barely mentions predators.

If you run across some big bucks I would like to hear about that as I have a second season deer tag this year in 44.. Good luck on your hunt and hope they get these fires knocked down soon..

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom