44/45

R

RafterH

Hello. I am new to this site. I feel I will spend hours here. I drew 44/45 this year. i am looking in several areas. SOuth of Tres Ritos, West of San pablo and North of North San Ysidro. THis will be my first NM hunt and I was wondering if anyone had any comments on these areas. Not trying to find your favorite spot, just looking for advice. Thanks.

Welcome to the site. It's addictive here so be careful. Sorry.... no advice on that area from me but I'm sure someone in here can and will help you out!

What kind of advice are you looking for Rafter. Are you huntin mulies, elk, bear....? In general, the area is pretty steep and thick. Lots of doulas fir and aspen. Access is pretty tough because of the terrain. There are a few outfitters in the area so there will be other hunters there.
-Raptor

Raptor,
Primarily Mulies. I will have a bear tag also. I am going up there this weekend and was going to look at both ends of the unit. I have spent a lot of time on google earth and it seems the Southern end is not as steep. I would guess there would not be as many bears there?

I drew for the last week of October. Can I expect a lot of snow? This is my first hunt in NM and I realize I have a lot to learn.

Are you hunting bow, muzz, rifle, spear, etc .... ? which hunt? dates?

Ill be there in september for the bow deer hunt, idk much about the unit either but ill primarily be on the north western side since its closest to home and i wont be loaded with cash for gas money. Ill let you know what i come across, maybe i can help you out .... just remember to ask! otherwise i will forget! I have heard that there are bears all over that unit!

Rifle, Oct 25-29. I hear you on the gas money. I live in Amarillo and can only make one more scouting trip. Good luck with the bow hunt.

If you're hunting mulies then the southern or eastern part of the unit near the Pecos/Rowe area are better in my opinion than up by Tres Ritos. You can find a really big buck up by TR but there are just not alot of deer. I'd look into some state, blm or pvt land near Pecos or even up by Las Vegas. If you're mind is made up about the Tres Ritos area, then you might want to consider horses and head up into the wilderness and hunt near timberline. Its possible though that you may experience some really heavy snows. The first snow fall usually happens up there sometime in september and more often than not, you'll get one big dump of snow (say 18+ inches) before halloween. Its not easy country to hunt. Anyway, good luck to ya.
-Raptor

Raptor,

Thanks for the info. One of the places I planned on looking was in the Southern part of the unit. Since I don't have much scouting time, I will spend it there. Again thanks for the help.

RafterH

Spent all Labor Day Weekend in South end of unit per your advice. Thanks for the help. I located several areas that look promising. Saw several deer and my first bears (Sow and 2 large cubs).

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-08 AT 01:57PM (MST)[p]My good friend Jose Aragon shot a big heavy 5x5 on Tuesday evening.. There was a couple guys over the hill watching it all unfold. Jose belley crawled to get into postion and pin wheeled this buck at 50 yards.Archery guys who shoot in 3-D here in NM know of Jose and how awesome a shot he is , so 50 yards is nothing but a cake shot for him. They waited a while and decided to go get a lantern as they wanted to take care of the buck that evening yet give him time. When they returned they picked up the blood trail , even blood bubbles and thick type lung tissue. They found where the buck died and also found the tire tracks of a 4x4 that pulled right up and loaded him. Jose is so upset and sick, he is just so bummed out . It's hard to believe fellow "SPORTSMEN" would back door another and steal his deer! It's absolutely sickening! It was a couple locals from there in Pecos.Jose has an idea of them but it will be hard to prove anything now. Im telling you this , I hate nothing more than a thief and a lier! Damnedd counterfiet two bit piece of trash thieves!

I feel so bad for Jose. He is such a great man, husband and dad and will give the shirt off his back to help out another.You all know the kind of man I speak of, just a great guy. I had my first buck(antlers and cape) stolen out the back of our truck as we were gasing up and I can tell you I have a serious anger type hatred to the people who did it, now a good friend has to go through this as well....

That is disgusting. I have never experienced that or someone arguing over an animal shot. I am pretty sure I would take the high road and let the POS take the animal.

What you describe just sounds like stealing. These dirtbags reap what they sow.

Sorry that happened to your friend. Maybe he can put some info out on those guys watching and can get enough for the GFD.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom