45” wide monster buck killed yesterday

This thread reminds me of why I deleted my account on here years ago. The things people will say just for a pic ?

The hunter is my father. I was on the hunt and I measured it myself at 45 inches. Wasn’t easy locating the buck or getting him once located. My father is the hardest working guy I know, and deserves everything he gets. The week before his hunt he spent a week with my brother hiking about 10 miles a day out in the heat trying to help him get a buck. He bought the tag because he loves hunting and big muleys, just like the rest of us. He didn't do it for recognition or to become famous.

He has shared pics and details with friends and family but he doesn't hardly use social media and is old school so to him throwing yourself on the internet is still strange and he wasn’t exactly eager to put it everywhere. But of course some people can’t help themselves. Anyway, he deserves all the accolades.
Buck of a hundred lifetimes, congrats to him on his hard work, dedication and for helping conservation.
Well done ?

This thread reminds me of why I deleted my account on here years ago. The things people will say just for a pic ?

The hunter is my father. I was on the hunt and I measured it myself at 45 inches. Wasn’t easy locating the buck or getting him once located. My father is the hardest working guy I know, and deserves everything he gets. The week before his hunt he spent a week with my brother hiking about 10 miles a day out in the heat trying to help him get a buck. He bought the tag because he loves hunting and big muleys, just like the rest of us. He didn't do it for recognition or to become famous.

He has shared pics and details with friends and family but he doesn't hardly use social media and is old school so to him throwing yourself on the internet is still strange and he wasn’t exactly eager to put it everywhere. But of course some people can’t help themselves. Anyway, he deserves all the accolades.
Congrats to your dad.

Last edited:
Check your PM TrophyTracker!

Celebrating the shady poster instead of the hunter? Real classy there pauns. Balls enough to go bush league and purposefully knowingly go against the hunters wishes?

Last edited:
AZ4life….settle down man. It’s just the internet!

The pic was going to come out anyway. No reason to slap that giant logo that is the size of the deer on the middle of the pic if they weren’t planning on it getting around. It was coming out.

Quite frankly, I’m with pauns08 in that someone finally posted it so people could admire a great buck and give a shout out to the lucky hunter if they chose to. Tough to do either if everyone keeps saying “I know something you don’t know!”

Again, it’s just the internet. Relax.

Celebrating the shady poster instead of the hunter? Real classy there pauns. Balls enough to go bush league and purposefully knowingly go against the hunters wishes? Having such morals are not something to be celebrated.
Chill out man everyone just wanted to see and admire this buck and congratulate the hunter. I can respect the hunter not being huge into the social media fame and actually admire it. Like vanilla said it was just getting irritating hearing "I know something you don't know" everyone knew the picture was coming out especially with the WLH logo on it I'm just glad someone finally wasn't scared to share it.

But Look At The Bright Side!

If We Got It Posted Before WLH Did That's Gotta Be Worth Something!:D

And TrophyTracker I Say This In All Good Fun!

No Offense!

Man you guys are brutal. Was just excited and wanted to share what I could, but now I wonder why. :LOL:

Ha! I didn’t even realize you were the thread starter until now. Makes your little freak out even better.

If the hunter didn’t want it posted you sure did a great job helping to keep it under wraps! Nicely done.

Heck if a buck. I’d love to hear more details from the hunter’s son if he’s willing to share!

Wow. What a buck. Congrats to your dad. Love to hear all the story.

I’m sure there are a few left somewhere on open land, maybe?
this old fellow is in the 60’s on the OS
IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_0524.png

Last edited:
See Niller!

You Heard Me Say There Wasn't any 40"ERS Left In DRATville!

But I Didn't Say There Wasn't Any 45"ERS Left!:D

Fake news! No big bucks or bulls due to pissss poor management!

You willing to give credit when these big boys show up? Or are you contributing that to other causes?

Based on the previous post from this thread I'm sure people will respond negatively to anything said positively about WLH. But we are from AZ and before this hunt I had never even heard of WLH. I have nothing to go off of but this hunt, and we wouldn't have got this buck without them. My Dad is a super crazy straight arrow and we never had an issue. My Dad is also super picky, annoyingly so, but our WLH guy didn't give up trying to find us a buck my Dad liked. It was actually way different than most people probably think. Wasn't like they watched the buck all summer just waiting for the day of the hunt to pop him. To be honest I thought that is how it would be. Instead our WLH guy was scouring the country in all kinds of random units looking for a buck up until right before the hunt when finally found this buck. We then had to relocate the buck during the actual hunt and get him on the ground, again couldn't have done it without them. It feels like no matter what is said people are going to be skeptical and negative. Wish I could just share details of a great hunt without it turning negative but doesn't seem like that is possible. I am actually avoiding telling my dad about this thread because he would be super sad what the hunting community has turned into. We have enough people coming after hunters, shouldn't come after each other. I do know there are a few unbiased guys on here though, thus why I say anything. I have said everything I will on this topic for now. I wish everyone good luck this year!

Based on the previous post from this thread I'm sure people will respond negatively to anything said positively about WLH. But we are from AZ and before this hunt I had never even heard of WLH. I have nothing to go off of but this hunt, and we wouldn't have got this buck without them. My Dad is a super crazy straight arrow and we never had an issue. My Dad is also super picky, annoyingly so, but our WLH guy didn't give up trying to find us a buck my Dad liked. It was actually way different than most people probably think. Wasn't like they watched the buck all summer just waiting for the day of the hunt to pop him. To be honest I thought that is how it would be. Instead our WLH guy was scouring the country in all kinds of random units looking for a buck up until right before the hunt when finally found this buck. We then had to relocate the buck during the actual hunt and get him on the ground, again couldn't have done it without them. It feels like no matter what is said people are going to be skeptical and negative. Wish I could just share details of a great hunt without it turning negative but doesn't seem like that is possible. I am actually avoiding telling my dad about this thread because he would be super sad what the hunting community has turned into. We have enough people coming after hunters, shouldn't come after each other. I do know there are a few unbiased guys on here though, thus why I say anything. I have said everything I will on this topic for now. I wish everyone good luck this year!
Great buck and congrats to your dad for taking it we all wish we had the money to buy tags like that and hunt animals like this, there have been true stories about WLH that were pretty shady in the past and I'm glad your experience with them was good but why act all "babyish" about it and just tell the story of how this giant buck was taken? I just feel like your kind of crying about the entire thing?

Don’t be so sensitive. Great buck. We all truly wish we had the opportunity to hunt deer like this. I am sure your Dad can handle the publicity. If he can’t, donate the tag to me next time!

There are patterns developing in this thread. Both in pics and posts. Seems there is a level of sensitivity here that is unwarranted. I’m assuming at this point that the OP and hunter’s son that have posted here in the thread are brothers. Maybe I’m wrong, but that is how it appears. Relatives of some sort at a minimum.

So weird that the OP would start this thread and then complain that posting a pic “goes against the hunter’s wishes.” Also weird to have someone crying about people wanting more details. This is a hunting forum…is it a shocker that people like reading details about hunts and seeing pictures from hunts?

You guys appear to kill some awesome animals. This buck is another example. It’s just the internet, ya’ll need to take a chill pill. The internet is an open forum. You take the good with the bad, or you don’t go on the internet. But either way, don’t be so sensitive.

If someone says WLH is shady and has done illegal stuff, that isn’t criticizing other hunters. That is stating facts about an outfit with a track record. Public records and court documents support the claim. Even pictures posted (and subsequently removed) on this website support that! I’m not standing with those people in defense of hunting. They are a bigger threat to me than anti-hunters are.

But great buck. Congrats! 99% of us will never see a buck like that on the hoof. It’s an example of awesome management strategies in Utah! (For you, Bessy!!!!)

There are patterns developing in this thread. Both in pics and posts. Seems there is a level of sensitivity here that is unwarranted. I’m assuming at this point that the OP and hunter’s son that have posted here in the thread are brothers. Maybe I’m wrong, but that is how it appears. Relatives of some sort at a minimum.

So weird that the OP would start this thread and then complain that posting a pic “goes against the hunter’s wishes.” Also weird to have someone crying about people wanting more details. This is a hunting forum…is it a shocker that people like reading details about hunts and seeing pictures from hunts?

You guys appear to kill some awesome animals. This buck is another example. It’s just the internet, ya’ll need to take a chill pill. The internet is an open forum. You take the good with the bad, or you don’t go on the internet. But either way, don’t be so sensitive.

If someone says WLH is shady and has done illegal stuff, that isn’t criticizing other hunters. That is stating facts about an outfit with a track record. Public records and court documents support the claim. Even pictures posted (and subsequently removed) on this website support that! I’m not standing with those people in defense of hunting. They are a bigger threat to me than anti-hunters are.

But great buck. Congrats! 99% of us will never see a buck like that on the hoof. It’s an example of awesome management strategies in Utah! (For you, Bessy!!!!)
Awesome Management Niller?

Notta!

One Got Away & Lived Long Enough To Reach Potential!

It Doesn't Happen Much In This State Anymore!

But I've Told You Time & Time Again:

This State Will Grow BIG Bucks & Bulls Just About anywhere On Any Unit when Managed Properly!

And Yes:

Drought Has Been One Of The Issues But NOT The Only Issue!

Nice Job To The Hunter,Family Members & The Guide!

I’m just curious about the deer, like how many points, did you tape it? Gotta be one of the best to ever come out of this state. Just jaw dropping on so many levels.

Sorry for the wording of my question! My inquiry wasn't meant to target WHL! I was just asking about any guiding service that was involved in a hunt that appeared to be a DIY hunt. And considering all the work your father (and family) has apparently done with hunts over the years, I wondered how they were involved. Now I/we know! Thanks for clearing that up! It certainly looks like you did the right thing with that special out-of-state tag! Congratulations to your dad and family and WHL!

Last edited:
Congratulations to your Dad LuckyTag and all those involved. That is an incredible buck and I'm sure he earned it. All you have to do is read this thread to know why he would not want to post pictures, but I for one say well done!
That's not fair to the poster's here......The OP asked for it....

I think the OP is smarter than given credit for.

I believe he wanted this to be exposed for whatever reason and he knew this platform would get it done.

Right or wrong, it's a bonfire underneath the smoke.
Slammy opens the door ? someone post the Elmo on fire gif and get the popcorn cause here we go

I Have Heard Of It 40-50 Years Ago!

Does Anybody Have Pics Of This Buck When He Was JUST A PISSCUTTER 35"ER?

Does Anybody Have Pics Of This Buck When He Was JUST A PISSCUTTER 40"ER?

It’s for real. True giant. Ever heard of a 45” free range Muley being killed in any state?

I think the OP is smarter than given credit for.

I believe he wanted this to be exposed for whatever reason and he knew this platform would get it done.

Right or wrong, it's a bonfire underneath the smoke.
It’s all starting to make sense now. ?

The OP couldn’t be a guy who was hunting the buck and saw the 9 trucks parked at the camp spot or possibly some alleged helicopter that burned thru $100k in fuel over the summer.

I imagine that nobody got any of that on video, nor did he hear about certain guides that have tags for the unit that gave up a chance for a 280” deer out of the goodness of their hearts so that the all important gov tag guy could go in without any help and shoot the deer on his own. Of course no money would have changed hands because the new guide and spotter laws don’t allow for that.

Not saying any of this is true, I have no 1st hand knowledge and want to be clear that this is just some pretty wild rumor floating around obviously not started by guys who were invested in that area.

I mean there’s no way that it’s possible both gov tag animals could be seized in the same year right? No way an outfitter could possibly be that egregious in their conduct right?

Glad to see you made a new account. Welcome

The OP couldn’t be a guy who was hunting the buck and saw the 9 trucks parked at the camp spot or possibly some alleged helicopter that burned thru $100k in fuel over the summer.

I imagine that nobody got any of that on video, nor did he hear about certain guides that have tags for the unit that gave up a chance for a 280” deer out of the goodness of their hearts so that the all important gov tag guy could go in without any help and shoot the deer on his own. Of course no money would have changed hands because the new guide and spotter laws don’t allow for that.

Not saying any of this is true, I have no 1st hand knowledge and want to be clear that this is just some pretty wild rumor floating around obviously not started by guys who were invested in that area.

I mean there’s no way that it’s possible both gov tag animals could be seized in the same year right? No way an outfitter could possibly be that egregious in their conduct right?
Word is both will be seized by the end of the month

Word is both will be seized by the end of the month
I have heard enough to believe that. If, big if this has merit and winds up coming to fruition, I sure hope both hunters file civil suits against said outfitter on the grounds of negligence and gross negligence which usually isn’t contractually covered in a standard release that hunters/customers sign.

They sue for damages, and would effectively bury WLH better than the state ever could. Set that precedent and you’ll see change across the industry.

I have heard enough to believe that. If, big if this has merit and winds up coming to fruition, I sure hope both hunters file civil suits against said outfitter on the grounds of negligence and gross negligence which usually isn’t contractually covered in a standard release that hunters/customers sign.

They sue for damages, and would effectively bury WLH better than the state ever could. Set that precedent and you’ll see change across the industry.
Boom.......this!!!?

Few years back, I started tracking down a biologist that didn't know a unit was closed. As I talked to people, it was made extremely clear that they were well aware of bs that WLH has pulled, and was pulling. But none of them were in SLC.

Been a few years, I'd imagine some of them are now in SLC, which is assume is why lately the protection seems to have
disappeared.

I’m gonna get on the soap box for minute because this has been sticking in my craw.

The thing that grinds my gears the worst about this and the previous WLH snafu’s is the blatant double standard that the state enables.

Last year I put myself and a conservation permit holder in a really poor position. We had literal charges filed against us for a crime that not only could the state not prove we committed but one that I was able to demonstrably show we hadn’t. It put my standing with DOPL at risk and did significant damage to reputation to both of us.

WLH posted pictures of a sheep literally killed on a closed unit, there’s audio of wade arranging an illegal lion shoot, they’ve been kicked off AI, a bear chased off bait with Don Jr., now presumptively a helicopter used on video to illegally aid in the harvest of the governor’s tag elk, and the possibility of numerous guide, spotter, and flight violations for the deer.

The state jumped at the chance to investigate and charge a guy with a lowly Wasatch cons tag that in hindsight is what I can only describe as a railroad job prayer based on the assumption we’d plea it away quietly. Then from where I stand bends over and says give it to me again with the highest profile tags and hunters.

Hunters should be calling the director of the DWR, the head of LE Wyatt buback, and the San Juan county DA demanding action. Hell DOPL’s door should be beat down until they reconvene the outfitter and guide board.

The fact is, in this state, the dollar speaks. We don’t have enough oversight or funding allocated to oversight to be effective when that dollar yells too loud. The burden of ethics, morals, and integrity is squarely on the shoulders of guys like me, and unless I choose to operate accordingly the reality is I can operate with a significant level of impunity. You get an outfit like WLH with high pressure winner take all stakes and all bets are off.

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom