45-70 Barnes

C

Cowboy

Anybody have any experience with this bullet in 300 gr? I am thinking about using it in a Marlin as a timber elk gun. Powder and accuracy would be of interest.

Cowboy;

I have not used the Barnes bullet, but if it is the original style with the heavy jacket, it should be fine for elk. I have used the 350 grain Hornaday interlock FP in several 45-70's and it will hold up for tought game like elk. I used it for buffalo and three of us took 3 buffalo with single shots.
I used 55 grains of H4895 and the velocity is around 1900 fps. It was a very accurate load and most of all, it will not kick the living crap out of you, but is similar in felt recoil to a stiff 300 mag load with 180 gr. bullets.

RELH

Thank you RELH. I cant wait to get started on a new gun/load combo. I think it will be ideal for some of the timber hunting I do for elk, as well as whitetail hunting. I am going to mount a Leupold intermediate eye relief scope on it.

Cowboy, great question that I know you can find the answer to at marlinowners dot com

I am a lever action guy myself and should soon be getting another big bore in 45-70.

Merry Christmas

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Cowboy, are you going with the scout scope setup? The Leupold scout scope has nine inches of eye relief and is a great scope for the lever actions utilizing a scout setup. (scope not directly on top of the reciever)

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Chef,

I will put the Leupold 2.5X Fixed Power IER scope on it. I dont know if it is called a "scout" or not. A friend of mine had one on a bolt rifle and I was extremely impressed at how fast and faultless target acquisition is with this scope. My friend said there is a mount that is partly on the rear sight dovetail base and part on the front of the reciever that works on the Marlin. Thats my plan.

I checked out your reference on the marlinowners website and learned a few things. Thanks for that.

This gun system reflects a focus on a hunting style that I have been refining for years. I very seldom even have an opportunity at long range elk any more, or deer for that matter. I would say my average shot is well under 100 yards. I have used a 300 win mag bolt rifle to death, and I love that rifle, but I am ready to make a switch.

Cowboy;

those 350 grain Hornadys we talked about would be great for just about anything from elk-moose-pig down to deer. But if you want a very pleasent shooting deer load, that will not leave your shoulder sore, use Sierra or Remington 300 grain hollow points. These two bullets are great for lung shots on deer size game. Just do not shoot the deer in the shoulder, you will lose alot of meat because the 300 gr. HP expands very fast. I use 41 grains of IMR-4198 with the HP bullet for about 1800 FPS and I have dropped deer in their tracks with a lung shot. The big plus with the Remington bullet is that once and awhile you can find 250 bullet packs for around $25 bucks on sale. I have used both of these bullets and they are very accurate in my sharps and my son's Marlin guide rifle. just do not use them on game bigger then deer-antelope.
I have a box of 500 300 grain hard cast flat point bullets that I intend to load for the Marlin. If I get good accuracy in the Marlin, this would be a great bullet to use for deer and elk and other big critters. They were not that accurate in my Sharps, possibly due to the rifle twist rate, but I have heard that most hard cast lead bullets do just fine in the Marlins.

RELH
I

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom