45 Elk

jjhunter

I drew 45 elk this year and just curious if anyone has any experience on the rfle hunt?. Have buddies who have hunted the archery season, but I drew a rifle tag.

I have pretty much narrowed down my areas to scout, but wondering about the habits of those elk....

My biggest concern is those elk heading to private once the shooting starts. Are my concerns justifiable or will those elk continue to move from private to public and public to private throughout the season?

Plan on scouting for a few days and hunting the opener. Will be back down for my deer tag for the last 11 days as well.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

JJ

It really depends on what private property your talking about. Some landowners let people hunt and that will drive them back and forth. Some landowners dont allow hunting and they can stay around those properties longer. Most of the big landowners either hunt the land they own or sell their tags and those people are usually hunting that land. Once a herd has been pushed they tend to travel alot and can run across the highway back into 44 or to the bottom end of the unit( Gooding to Glenns Ferry) or just into the next canyon. This usually only happens when multiple hunters are pressuring them (cow muzzy hunt).With 100 plus tags you should have alot of other hunters out there with you so good luck I hope you shoot a nice one. Dont rule out 52 theres always elk over there.

Appreciate the info, guys. I am NOT an accomplished elk hunter. Been chasing mule deer my whole life and although I have killed a few bulls, I would consider them "targets of opportunity" and not actual elk hunts.

JJ

Congrats on a fun tag. Ive had the tag twice and got a nice bull each time. I have permission from most land owners in the unit. Including McCullem. Baker and Riggs. Plenty of elk on public ground. Pm me if you want more info. Would be glad to help.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom