.451 260 grain Partition Sabot vs. Cow Elk?

Fire_Hawk

Hey guys!

I am going on a late season antlerless elk hunt with my Muzzleloader. I was just curious what you think of the above bullet in a .54 TC firehawk.

I took a nice fat 4 point Muley this fall with the above bullet (.45 caliber 260 grainer) and the bullet left a large hole all the way through and out the other side. Do you think this bullet would be okay for a cow elk?

I can't seem to get the heavier Sabot slugs to shoot well out of my rifle. I do have an excellent load with a 535 grain No Excuses conical that shoots extremely accurately. The problem is that the bullet fits too loosely in my barrel when it is clean. I am not sold on the idea of "fouling" my barrel before I hunt in the snow all day either. (Yea I know, SNOW...what SNOW, maybe we will have some by November 29th)

Any other ideas? My brother shot a two point buck with a 348 grain lead Power belt with his TC Firehawk this fall, we found that bullet and I was surprised to see how little of it was left. It didn't even fully penetrate the small two point's body. Anyways, I don't think I was impressed enough with that bullet to try it on elk.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

FH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom