46B Ram, great times, great hunt, great friends

betterlucky

well I drew a desert sheep tag this past year and had the pleasure of having my Dad come out for my hunt from Vermont, also had some good friends in tow, Frank the Tank and Mark...hunting hard and found a good sheep I couldn't pass on day 4 of the hunt, he went 153 but the score didn't matter it was the whole hunt that made it worth the work, We were 12 miles from camp where we shot and had a great time pack him out, thanks for everyone who helped and gave a hand, this is a hunt I will never forget
1638downsized95picture0005.jpg

4498image002.jpg

Congrats on a pretty red horned ram. Sounds like you really earned that nice Desert. Not many people get that far from a road in AZ, ever. Thx for sharing. JM

That's a beautifual ram, congratulations! I'd be interested in reading more about the hunt, as that sounds like a fascinating desert sheep hunt from the little I've read about that unit over the years.

this hunt was by far the hardest hunt I have ever been on, for starters the access is the main issue, the mountains are miles away from any road you can drive, plus the heat!!! It was super hot all fall and make it hard to scout. The first day we started at 330am and got back to camp around 1030pm, there were 6 of us the hunted into one of the ranges and logged about 20 miles, the next we stayed closer to camp in a area I had seen a few sheep and logged only about 8 miles in the malapie fields, "taking a easy day" if there such a thing, day 3 we glassed from the road and loaded up for a big pack in, we had two leaving camp at noon so we loaded our packs and had them drop us about 20 miles from camp the other side of a range to the south. The first afternoon we packed in about 6 miles and set up in a wash with just tarps and sleeping bags, MRE and water is about the only other things we hauled. Day 2 we woke and glasse up a small ram with 8 ewes, after the morning hunt we loaded and moved deeper in the canyons, we found another good wash for a camp around 230pm, we set up and climbed a small hill to glass, I picked up sheep about 1 1/2 miles away so the race was on, 2 stayed and glassed from there and 2 of us made the 2 mile stock...we got to 600 yards and set up without the shhep knowing we were there but the winds were too much and we had to cross the canyon and show ourselves hoping the sheep would stay put, as we set up acroos the canyon we couldn't find the sheep, we got busted, the ewes were topping out and running..the ram however stopped and gave me a quick shot at just over 400 yards, I missed high!! dang,n he only moved 10 feet or so and came back out to see what we were, bad move, I slammed him in the shoulder and he raced back across the face of the mountain like he wasn't hit,but we could see the blood racing out of him, he was almost topped out and going out of sight but he stopped again and looked back...440 yards hit him in the other shoulder and down he went..it was 420 pm and we had a sheep down, headed back to get backs and everyone to walk up together, got to him just before dark, took some quick pictures and then skinned and quartered him and got back to spike camp in the wash about 945pm...after I quick night of sleep we were up and hiking out at 6 and cover ed the lasted 10 miles or so by 1020am...out of water and beat we pulled into camp...what a hunt..my Dad is 68 and spent the whole hunt with me and showed what he was made of

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom