48" Oryx. Anyone seen the picture??

NMPaul

I heard there was a 48" cow Oryx that was either shot or just running around out in a badge hunt area. Has anyone seen a picture of it yet. Would love to see what a 48" Oryx looks like.
I heard it was taken or a picture taken of her in the Thorougood Canyon area, between Salinas Peak and Rhoades.

Who was the lucky hunter?

I heard the same thing from one of th WSMR Fish Cops and am waiting for him to send me a email with the pics. If I get a hold of them I'll put them on here. When I talked to him about 2 weeks ago no one had shot her yet.

Jordan

I saw a pic and write up of a 48" "Oryx" a few weeks ago. Dam thing was white and brown. Got to checking and it was shot off a game farm.
That's the only 48" I have heard of.

Hopefully yours is legit.

I hear she is still very much so alive and well, but how in the heck did you guys find out about her???? I predict you guys will see her pics in october when a certain badge hunter goes after her. A certain someone has the ability to watch her from the sky. Kinda sucks if you ask me. I know the normal guys don't get those kinda perks.

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

Wow! 48"'s is unreal! I would like to see her also. However, maybe the hunter does not want the pictures on the internet? I dont think it is up to the WSMR Fish Cops to decide whether or not they are on MM? JMO.

Patrico, she looks old. Cool looking oryx. What is going on with the left side? Did you shoot her recently?

Ktc, I am still under the impression that she is alive and the pics the WSMR Fish Cop has are of her on the hoof. If she is dead I agree its not up to anyone but the shooter to put the pics here on mm.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-09 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]No, she is still alive. Not to be a party pooper but I've seen lots of big cows and I seriously doubt that one is anywhere near 48". The bases are way to small to start with and the horns don't have the length. Here is a picture of the current all time world record which is a 49" cow. If your saying the oryx above is #3 in the world and is only an inch and change off of this toad your smokin weed.

4a6484931fd60b56.jpg

Notice how the rings go well past the half way point and how she has tons of mass at the base and how her rings are all piled together. Granted tight rings only show age, but you have to have rings go well past the half way point of the horns in order to even be considered 40 inches much less 48".

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

balz,

I did not say that right. It came out kind of harsh. I agree with you.

If she is alive and well I hope some lucky regular joe gets a crack at her. That last photo is one big oryx! Wow!

Come on stinky! Who are you tryin' to kid! You wouldn't know a 40" Oryx if it was laying down dead right in front of you! Weed smokin' know-it-all!;-)

Sorry it took so long to respond! I been toking on the bong for far too long. Shoot, I don't think I'd know a 40" oryx if you shot one and put it in front of me. lol

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

Well after doing some research my source tells me that the pictures he has are of a cow they think will be in the 41-42 inch class. Not 48" like was reported earlier. Funny with in a couple of guys an animal can grow from real nice to potential world record. HAHAHA it never ceases to amaze me. Glad I didn't hold my breath

Too bad maybe we will see Oryx that big on WSMR someday!! Just figured I had better tie up the lose ends on this post.

Jordan

Looking forward to it Rich. Sorry about the mix up I guess StinkStomper has better infomation than I do.

Better info??? I know everything, don't you pay attention????? good lord balz, need I take your pm, photoshop it and repost it? Didn't I get you pissed last time??? Maybe it was someone else. Anyone know balz's wifes name? I can get him with somethin like that..... I'm accepting any ideas. Usually a guy gets goin with an e-call out. That's pretty serious stuff balz. Gonna go back through my pm's and see who I got all ticked cuz your zero fun!

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

I think he is just an angry person with a bad attitude.Look at every post no matter what the topic

Here are the FACTS everyone, so we can lay this one down to rest! There is NO picture of a 48" cow on WSMR on top Thurogood Canyon, nor is there a picture of a 48" cow anywhere. It is highly unlikely WSMR has a 48 inch oryx anywhere on range. There was a picture taken by a WSMR Game Warden that was taken over a month ago of a large cow, which I have personally seen with my own eyes and it is not a 48" cow. It appears someone has exaggerated this animal and has provided Stinkystomper with some over exaggerated information. The cow is a trophy with out a doubt but she is not 48" which would be a world record animal. I estimate the oryx to be approximately 42" to 43". I think it's important to mention the aerial surveys are NOT done every weekend, they are done once a year for each hunt unit. In addition it wasn't Thurogood canyon that she was observed. Plus, the animal wasn't even in a badge unit at the time so a badge hunter wouldn't even have an opportunity to harvest that animal. There are a couple of other statements made that are false or exaggerated but I don't believe the pot needs to be stired up anymore then it has been. It's possible some of you might take this in the wrong light, but my intentions are not to embrass anyone or call anyone out. My purpose is to let everyone know the truth and undeniable facts about this mythical picture of a 48" cow oryx. My hope is my comments kill this topic and starts up future discussion about great hunts and friends.

Keeping it honest!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom