4th Season Muleys in GMU 29

HntHrdr

Very Active Member
With few options to hunt muley bucks this year I went ahead and jumped at a 4th rifle tag. I know that I'm hunting in hippie central. What I am wondering is if anyone has hunted this unit in 4th season before? Does the massive amount of urban interface change their behavior or will they be rutting like most other bucks this time of year? Also weather can be tricky like anywhere else in Co, but any advice on elevation? Should I try to hunt as high as I can? (Snow permitting) or do you tend to focus at a certain elevation range for the 4th season?

Well gents would love to hear some feedback if you have some insight or experience.

RLTW
Mark

I'll humor you, It came down for opportunity to hunt the rut. I was able to hunt muleys a couple years ago (2017), I didn't get a chance to chase them last year and was looking like it would be the same this year with uncertain work schedules and a new job. I live about 40 min away from most of the public land in 29 and that will give me a chance to hunt 2 to 3 of the 4 day season which is a win for me (and preseason scout with ease). Also I figure by 4th we will have some nasty weather,Lord willing, and the hippies will hang up the hiking sandals and go drink tea or something.

Does that answer your question?

Sounds like you have a general idea what your up against. Would of been a peculiar unit to throw a dart at the board and hunt blind with the challenges it comes with compared to the rest of the West per say. There?s some big boys there no doubt. Getting one on a piece of ground you? can legally kill him by the people?s republic of Boulder?s law might be a different story.

Coloradoboy

No doubt, I guess I did neglect to mention I will be hunting with a couple of Boulder Country Parks Rangers, so I do have that going for me.

I guess I was hoping to find someone who might have had experience with what bucks do in urban interface during the rut, wondering if they stay put or still get out and stretch their legs looking for does. I'm sure hoping it is the later.

I'm by no means a muley expert, in fact far from it. Hunted 67 last year during 4th, you can see my post. Everyone told me to hunt the lower elevation, that's where all the deer will be after snow pushes them out of high country. Was true saw tons of bucks lower, just nothing worth shooting after 18 yrs of waiting. So I went high to the snow went from seeing literally 100's of deer to nothing! I mean hours of looking and seeing nothing. Then I found a small group of does and here's the result. My thinking was if I can find a buck up high still he was going to be a big one. But what do I know, just got lucky. He was at about 10.5 ft elevation opening day.
76068201811161145411543345943850001.jpg

They wander lookin for doe as all bucks do. They usually have an area they cycle around... If they are near people in urban or suburban spot b4 rut, they are prob still in the area in rut.
There are public spots, find a chunk of land and hunt it! If u are hunting with Boulder county parks/open space peeps you shouldnt need our help. If you all plan on hugging the borders then im sure they can put u on bucks... Not how i like to hunt but effective in this area.

Thank you I will concentrate on some early season scouting. I am 100% with you. I would prefer to be hunting miles from civilization, but this year it was basically this tag or don't hunt muleys for another year so I opted for it. If anything it will be more lessons learned from the field. I appreciate the insight. Having my park ranger buddies will be great, but I probably have the most muley hunting experience between all of us and I am still a rookie by a long shot, but they will be good to get us in spots with deer and know all the sheriff and LEO if crazies call. I think there is enough big chunks of Public to avoid that though.

What a stud! Thanks for the tip, looks like only a couple inches of snow, but I will keep that in mind especially if I can get eyes on some deer up there a couple days before the season starts.

Heard from longtime resident that deer are getting inbred up here in suburban areas of 29. Not as big as they used to be, not enough getting taken out of herd... Heres a mature private land buc from last yr. Saw 3 bigger but they werent ALL THAT . There are big uns but i havent seen any beasts in a couple yrs... Sorry for grisly image, only pic of rack. After caping to trade with taxi...

Good luck to you.

9474920181129212534.jpg

Thanks for the info, I would be thrilled with a buck like that! I'm not expecting any beasts, would just love the chance at some good meat and maybe a nice rack to go with it.

Also what is the jackrabbit call for? coyotes?

We just finished 3rd season and it was a hard hunt. We didn't see much but got 2 bucks on 3 tags. We passed up 3 small bucks and shot a 4x4 and 3x3. Saw lots of hikers, elk, and moose.
7928220191108235515.jpg

3949520191106120006.jpg

Make it 14 posts ;) good work on the bucks. I was up scouting last Wednesday and saw a couple little bucks. Found a couple good glassing knobs, and will be back scouting the day before season. Hoping that the Rut is in full swing. Since I didn't harvest an elk this year I'm looking to fill the freezer. Did have someone?s dog follow me around the NF for a while, it is an interesting unit that is for sure.

Yes sir,
Been using it for a few years, the only reason I even attempted this was on x, lots of weird little patches of private

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom