4th season unit 52

snowman22250

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-08 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]I have a 4th season 52 tag. Never stepped foot in this unit. I can offer a trade...Info-for-Info. my season is Nov 12-16. I have been told by some people to hold out for 190+ bucks. Any comments on whether this info is solid. Unit 52, 521, and I think 411.

I know these units very well.
CO-21
CO-1
UT-Diamond mtn
UT-3 corners
UT-Wasatch Mtn
UT-Vernon
UT-Wastach Front late archery
ID-SW corner
NV-081
NV-111-113
AZ-10
NM-06C

ROb

Its a unit that normally does not take a ton of points to draw and they issue quite a few tags. Probably like alot of units get away from the roads babysit some does and should see some good deer. Holding out for 190+ is a tall order in my mind. Thats a big deer. Good luck on your hunt you should have fun.

Coyote chaser,
Thanks for the input, it seams not too many people want to share info about this unit.
Let's hope I can find something worthy.
snowman

A 190 buck is a tall order in any unit including this one. It is a unit that gets a lot of local pressure. Don't want to dissapoint you but you may have been given some bad info.

Just interested in knowing how many points you used to draw this tag - if my info is correct, there were 403 applications and only 15 tags issued. 9 resident, 4 non resident and 2 landowner vouchers. Good luck

wildsage

Snowman, Looks like this posting faded into the sunset, I personally used a voucher to try and draw this unit for the 4th season. Ended up with a preference point, for someone that didn't know the unit, you were fortunate to draw. Best of luck

Wildsage

Have seen some nice bucks in 52 this year. 190 is a big buck but not out of the question. I have seen a 250 inch deer killed in 52 this year and have seen another buck in the 210 range. Obviously there isn't a 190 buck around every tree but if you hunt hard you stand a good chance.

I have hunted 52 several times. You will see a lot of bucks. If you get snow try and get into the transition zones. Last time we hunted it we saw a lot of bucks down on all the private ground that lines the highway. I did see a buck that I thought would go 190+ but he was a long way away and no way to get on him. We went in on him the next morning and couldn't find him. Don't overlook 521. There are some great bucks off the burn just outside of Hotchkiss. Like I said, get them before they get to the private ground to winter. Good luck. I wouldn't be passing up any 170 class bucks with that tag though.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Best of luck. Never hunted the unit myself, but would like to hear how you do and how you rate the unit. Hopefully they will be rutting for you.

For all those that helped, thank you very much.

I am glad I had 3 days to scout, because I only found 12 deer in 2.5 days of scouting. Nothing better than 160. All bucks not in the rut yet. Areas I scouted that you would normally see 200 deer a day, I saw 12 in 2.5 days total. I searched high and low. Nothing to be found. I'm leaning toward last years winter kill was worse than what the fish and game led us to believe.

Most the bucks were still alone. A little sniffing here and there. After 3 days of scouting, I decided to pass on this hunt.

Any suggestion on what unit to go for next year. Nonresident with 5 points??
Thanks guys.
Rob
snowman

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom