54 deer how are the deer looking?

ZR1

I have a 3rd season Rifle and was just wondering what the deer are looking like in 54 so far this year as far as age class and numbers go? Trying to figure were to set my standard?

I don't know man, I just spent 12 days in the high country of unit 66, and really didn't see any deer other than a few does & yearlings. They were there last year but not this year... sorta like the elk!

I did draw the 3rd season rifle hunt in 54 in '07. I hunted hard and waited on a good front to move the deer down, but it never came during my season. I did manage to take a very nice buck late in the hunt. We all know what happened then... A very late coming weather system that devestated the deer herd. It will take a long time to completely recover.

Good luck on your hunt. I am sure that someone can tell you where a pocket exists that holds a good buck. There aren't many, but there are some good 'uns!

I scouted the unit for elk, saw a fair amount of does and few young bucks but never went over 11000 feet.

Spent the last 10 days of elk archery north of Castles and never saw a deer, period. Bears and some elk, yes. Deer no. The drop camp outfitter I went with wont even guide for deer anymore, at least not until there is a comeback.

Crappy... Guided a muzzy hunter, found one nice buck over the course of a 5 day hunt. Long story short he shot under him. Seeing a fair amount of does but nothing to write home about. We arent even doing late season deer hunts this year.

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters
tenderfoot-outfitters.com

>Spent the last 10 days of
>elk archery north of Castles
> and never saw a
>deer, period. Bears and
>some elk, yes. Deer
>no. The drop camp
>outfitter I went with wont
>even guide for deer anymore,
>at least not until there
>is a comeback.

Bill i think you were hunting with our outfit

Hey Cole,

That was me. Good times for sure, beautiful country. I told Fred that when he starts his rifle deer again to give me a call. I know that muzzy deer hunt used to be something. It'll come back if game and fish would kill all the deer tags for 2 or 3 years. Shame.

Bill

Might be a while yet Bill. Fred and myself are heading out to Eastern Colorado this coming week to look at getting a lease out there. If it goes through, we will be obtaining a 33,000 plus acre ranch that has hardly been hunted and never outfitted on for the last 35-40 years. I will bet my bottom dollar we will be harvesting some book animals off this place in the years to come. (antelope, mulies, whitetails)

Cole Ullom
Tenderfoot Outfitters
tenderfoot-outfitters.com

Any snow up high to speak of? I have 2nd season deer tag and my kid and dad and brother also and would like to see a bunch of snow high but know it probably won't happen. LOL

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom