54 or 55

HUNTINFORLIFE

Im lookin for a unit i can hunt that might give me the best chance to find a 190 class buck. Im a NR I dont know much about Colorado just from what ive read 54 and 55 seem to produce some good bucks each year. Ill be putting in for the 3rd season tag and was wondering if anyone that knows a little about these two units, might give me a little insight about them. I am willing to go home with tag soup if i cant find something over 185.
Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-11 AT 07:42PM (MST)[p]Dont do it. The deer numbers are to the point we have stopped guiding deer hunts. If I had to do it is go 55. But a 190 is a real tall order in the basin right now. I'd take my points else where.

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot outfitters

Hey, I will take a tenderloin over a tenderfoot any day!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

> I am willing
>to go home with tag
>soup if i cant find
>something over 185.
>Thanks

Unless you get real lucky you will go home with tag soup right now with a 55 or 54 tag.

This winter is not too bad yet but with the '08 winter followed by the winter they had over there last year (most snow on record up at Irwin and around CB) it is going to be a few years.

If it were me I would be looking into one of the units in SW colorado muzzy or archery..

I was there in second and killed the only nice buck we saw and my group ate 3.tags. Pics in mule deer section. We saw does and smalll bucks but not much else.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

I hunted 55 archery in 2010. Hunted two areas that have held some real giants in the past, but never did see a buck over 150". Great country, fun hunt, but the deer are down.

Huntinforlife,
How many points do you have? Depending on your points on I have some better suggestions on where to spend them.

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters

I have 3 points. Im not necessarily looking to draw a tag this year but i would like to in the next 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for your help Coloradoboy

If you're wanting to hunt the Gunnison basin I'd recommend giving it those 2 to 3 years. There are actually quite a few does and younger bucks running around on the winter range right now but the lack of mature deer is clearly noticeable. I guide in 54 from muzzy to 2nd rifle season and am currently working in Gunnison at the moment and can tell you through the whole time I was guiding I can count on one hand the amount of bucks I saw.

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters

Well it takes 5-6 points in unit 54 and 7-8 in 55 for a 3rd season tag so it looks like yuo will have to wait awhile regardless if you want to hunt these units.

I also have 3 points and will be looking at other units.

all these folks are right. me,my dad,and brother in law were in gunnison in 08 and 2010 and i can tell you the biggest bucks in the area live in the city limits. so yes its going to be a while.they just havent bounced back yet.so far looks like a mild winter.(but that could change)

I had a 3rd season tag in 54, and it was no where near what I expected. I knew the numbers were down but not that bad. I even did better than most but it needs alot of time to recover. I saw an average of 50 deer a day and about 5 bucks a day. but most were one or two year olds. The only good buck I saw was on private, and usually one of the bucks each day was 130-150. I ended up with a mid 150's buck at noon on the last day, far from what I was hoping for. With a few young bucks around some time between 3 and 5 years it could be ok again if all the conditions are right. But I wouldnt even consider it for at least 3 years.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom