.54cal loads?

H

Hellscanyon

I tried shooting some 200gr xtp's out of my knight wolverine
and found that the bullets tumble and are very innaccurate. I was wondering what size of xtp I will have to move up to get good accuracy. I would appreciate any help i'm pretty new to muzzleloading.

Hellscanyon: Welcome to the board. Give me more information about your setup. What powder are you using, and what powder loads are you trying to shoot? What sabot are you using and what color is it? Why are you sticking with the XTP?

Get back to me with this info, and we'll get you squared away, no sweat.

THANKS FOR RESPONDING BLUELK, I'M USING SOME HORNADY SABOTS THAT ARE WHITE, AND .44 CAL 200 GR. XTP'S. I USED 60GR. PYRODOX PELLETS AND 120 GR. OF PELLETS. I WAS TRYING THESE BULLETS AND WAD COMBINATION THINKING I COULD SHOOT THESE FOR FUN AND ALSO HUNT DEER WITH THE SAME LOAD AND NOT BE VERY EXPENSIVE TO SHOOT.

Hellscanyon: That's what I'm here for my man. I would recommend to go to a purple MMP sabot (www.mmp.com), use the same bullet, convert from pellets to loose powder. Start your sighting in process at 80 grains of powder (recommend 777), and shoot a 3 shot group. Clean your barrel with a spit (wet) patch and a dry patch. Increase your powder charge to 90 grains. Shoot a 3 shot group. Clean your barrel with a spit (wet) patch and a dry patch. Increase you powder charge to 100 grains, and repeat the entire procedure. Increase your powder charge to 100 grains, and repeat the entire procedure. Increase your powder charge to 110 grains, and repeat the entire procedure. Increase your powder charge to 120 grains, and repeat the entire procedure. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR SIGHTS DURING THIS ENTIRE PROCESS.

Now, which powder charge gave you the tightest group? Clean your barrel with a spit (wet) patch and a dry patch. Load in the number of grains that gave you the tightest group. Fire a 3 shot group. Move your sights to move the group to dead on bullseye at 100 yards. Keep fine tuning until you're right on the money.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I WILL TRY TO GET SOME OF THE PURPLE MMP
SABOTS. JUST CURIOUS THOUGH THE PURPLE ARE FOR A .50 BULLET &
THE BULLETS I HAVE ARE .44, WON'T THE SABOT COMBINATION BE LOOSER
IN THE BARREL? THANKS

Hellscanyon: When you access the site go to the page where Del shows the various combinations. You will see that he shows the purple sabot for the .54.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom