A ghost story

Tristate

Long Time Member
This is the continuation of the other muley thread.

Weeks went by and it was time for the rifle season opener. I was pumped. I had convinced myself that the buck was still alive but we were close to rut now and who knows where he might have moved to.

One thing weighed heavy in my mind. This whole thing was feeling like deja vu. The truth is three years ago almost the same story had occurred. In this exact area in archery season I found a big buck. I tried a couple times to get in on him but it just didn't come together. Hell, I never really got close. I told myself I would get him in gun season. 6 days into gun season he was shot. Just not by me. It happens. I struck out on deer that year. Just the hard reality of the game we love to play.

As I crawled into the truck I was already second guessing our plan we had formulated the night before. When in doubt have fun and hunt. That's what we did. For four days we tore that country apart. We found every buck we had seen in archery season but not the buck we were after. Was he roaming far and wide looking for girls, was he just really smart and hiding right under our noses.

What was really twisting my thoughts was I know this country really well. Every low spot and shade tree that would hide an old book was known by us. But we just couldn't turn him up

It was Tuesday morning and we were all discussing where we should move to. In the dark we rolled up to our south lookout.not much was moving as the sun rose. It was going to be windy and I think the deer knew it and were digging in. Above the red bluffs a deer stood like bucephalus. He was far and the mirage was bad but I could make out some really big antlers just no details. I was trying to talk my brothers into his location when he started marching stiff legged down the backside of the bluffs and out of sight. We needed to move fast.

We threw all the gear in the buggy and started north to our north lookout. We rolled up and broke out the glass. In a mater of seconds we all located two bucks deep in a ravine. It was a face off between two big bucks. One buck rose up out of the ravine and the sun hit his antlers. It was him. We had finally found him and he was within 300 yards of where we had last seen him in archery season. Had he always been right there and we just weren't seeing him? Had he just returned from a walk about? I'll never really know but it was time to get down to business.

We started to formulate the best plan we could. They were far away and their blood was up. They could have taken off at any second. They kept turning circles around each other and posturing for a fight.

We left one brother there on the big glass and headed back south. We swung east to get the wind right and headed west northwest on foot. We had gone probably 400 yards when I looked right and realized a mule deer buck was marching right past me going south southeast. We dropped to our knees and came back up slowly. It was the two bucks and they were marching out of the country. I started following. They were so mad neither noticed I was following them. Finally the big buck turn to the left and opened up his left side enough for a shot. I won't lie. It wasn't my best shooting and I emptied the trusty ol wichester. He went a long way and finally tipped over.

Slowly I approached the downed deer. It quickly became apparent I had never seen a typical deer like this one. The beams were long and tines enormous. Everything a typical mule deer should be. The end of his left beam was broken. Probably that morning from the fight.

20231121_103734.jpg

Even my brothers were in shock. We had all missed the mark on what we had been predicting he would be. We've seen, shot, and handled lots of big ones but this was a new education for all three of us.

After a good bit of struggling we managed to get him into the buggy.

20231121_110427.jpg

I texted my friend who was still searching for the wounded archery buck and he met us on the main road. He too was in complete disbelief, but confirmed this was not the wounded deer. On a side note I sure hope they find that buck next season and even the score.

Time has passed and there's been some rumors in the public about this deer. I wanted to keep a lot of things quiet because I dislike rumors and fake stories that often are generated on the internet. I finally took him to a B&C scorer and had him officially measured. I submitted the scores to TBGA and it looks like he will be recognized as the highest netting typical mule deer ever killed in Texas.

I am certainly blessed in many ways. I am very thankful for having family that gets along and loves hunting together. There is a lot of family and friends that are gone that I wish would have been around to take part in this. One of my clients asked "What now?"

Hunting. Like I always did and hopefully always will.

Hunt to teach a kid more than he can learn in school. Hunt to let an old man know his wisdom is still needed at the campfire. Hunt to be honest with my soul. Hunt to know nothing ends at the skinning pole.

IMG_20231121_132553.jpg

Thanks to Monster Muleys for years of entertainment and education.

Awesome write up and thanks for sharing, those big guys don't normally come without a lot of skill and hard work. Hats off

Weeks went by and it was time for the rifle season opener. I was pumped. I had convinced myself that the buck was still alive but we were close to rut now and who knows where he might have moved to.

One thing weighed heavy in my mind. This whole thing was feeling like deja vu. The truth is three years ago almost the same story had occurred. In this exact area in archery season I found a big buck. I tried a couple times to get in on him but it just didn't come together. Hell, I never really got close. I told myself I would get him in gun season. 6 days into gun season he was shot. Just not by me. It happens. I struck out on deer that year. Just the hard reality of the game we love to play.

As I crawled into the truck I was already second guessing our plan we had formulated the night before. When in doubt have fun and hunt. That's what we did. For four days we tore that country apart. We found every buck we had seen in archery season but not the buck we were after. Was he roaming far and wide looking for girls, was he just really smart and hiding right under our noses.

What was really twisting my thoughts was I know this country really well. Every low spot and shade tree that would hide an old book was known by us. But we just couldn't turn him up

It was Tuesday morning and we were all discussing where we should move to. In the dark we rolled up to our south lookout.not much was moving as the sun rose. It was going to be windy and I think the deer knew it and were digging in. Above the red bluffs a deer stood like bucephalus. He was far and the mirage was bad but I could make out some really big antlers just no details. I was trying to talk my brothers into his location when he started marching stiff legged down the backside of the bluffs and out of sight. We needed to move fast.

We threw all the gear in the buggy and started north to our north lookout. We rolled up and broke out the glass. In a mater of seconds we all located two bucks deep in a ravine. It was a face off between two big bucks. One buck rose up out of the ravine and the sun hit his antlers. It was him. We had finally found him and he was within 300 yards of where we had last seen him in archery season. Had he always been right there and we just weren't seeing him? Had he just returned from a walk about? I'll never really know but it was time to get down to business.

We started to formulate the best plan we could. They were far away and their blood was up. They could have taken off at any second. They kept turning circles around each other and posturing for a fight.

We left one brother there on the big glass and headed back south. We swung east to get the wind right and headed west northwest on foot. We had gone probably 400 yards when I looked right and realized a mule deer buck was marching right past me going south southeast. We dropped to our knees and came back up slowly. It was the two bucks and they were marching out of the country. I started following. They were so mad neither noticed I was following them. Finally the big buck turn to the left and opened up his left side enough for a shot. I won't lie. It wasn't my best shooting and I emptied the trusty ol wichester. He went a long way and finally tipped over.

Slowly I approached the downed deer. It quickly became apparent I had never seen a typical deer like this one. The beams were long and tines enormous. Everything a typical mule deer should be. The end of his left beam was broken. Probably that morning from the fight.

View attachment 144549

Even my brothers were in shock. We had all missed the mark on what we had been predicting he would be. We've seen, shot, and handled lots of big ones but this was a new education for all three of us.

View attachment 144550

I texted my friend who was still searching for the wounded archery buck and he met us on the main road. He too was in complete disbelief, but confirmed this was not the wounded deer. On a side note I sure hope they find that buck next season and even the score.

Time has passed and there's been some rumors in the public about this deer. I wanted to keep a lot of things quiet because I dislike rumors and fake stories that often are generated on the internet. I finally took him to a B&C scorer and had him officially measured. I submitted the scores to TBGA and it looks like he will be recognized as the highest netting typical mule deer ever killed in Texas.

I am certainly blessed in many ways. I am very thankful for having family that gets along and loves hunting together. There is a lot of family and friends that are gone that I wish would have been around to take part in this. One of my clients asked "What now?"

Hunt to teach a kid more than he can learn in school. Hunt to let an old man know his wisdom is still needed at the campfire. Hunt to be honest with my soul. Hunt to know nothing ends at the skinning pole.

View attachment 144622

Once again I had no idea there were Mule deer of that size in Texas, Great job and a great write up as well

Texas state record typical wow what a buck!

Congrats Tristate and thanks for sharing your story and photos!

Horniac

Hard earned and well worth the effort. Congratulations TriState, on taking home a rare one.

Be sure and post up the mount when you get it back from the taxidermist.

Hard earned and well worth the effort. Congratulations TriState, on taking home a rare one.

Be sure and post up the mount when you get it back from the taxidermist.
LoL...I think he'll be the first to know when its done..he won't even have to wait for a phone call

Great story and a world-class buck. Big congrats. That's magazine worthy stuff and thanks for sharing it here on MM. Well written.

Is it possible you shot off the main beam?

I bet you do a full body mount on him. He has a great body and that'd be a great mount.

Thanks for the great story. This is a slow time of year and you got me fired up to get out and scout for a big one this summer.

Great story and a world-class buck. Big congrats. That's magazine worthy stuff and thanks for sharing it here on MM. Well written.

Is it possible you shot off the main beam?

I bet you do a full body mount on him. He has a great body and that'd be a great mount.

Thanks for the great story. This is a slow time of year and you got me fired up to get out and scout for a big one this summer.
I thought it was possible that I had shot the main beam. But as time has passed I have thought more likely a fight. Usually when a bullet takes off an antler a green coloration will develope in the brake from oxidation of tiny pieces of copper deposited by the bullet impact.

This one never got the green coloration.

View attachment 144549

View attachment 144550

View attachment 144622

Hell of a buck I love the tine length and eye guards the most but what’s not to love on that buck.👏🏻

We think if he wasn't broke he would have netted 204 and some change.
I say say you should fix the broken tine to match the other side as best you can. Measure him again and give him credit for what he grew.
As you know you won’t be able to officially enter him in a record book and get credit for the repair but at least the buck will be recognized with the rack that he grew. And look a lot better in my opinion.

I say say you should fix the broken tine to match the other side as best you can. Measure him again and give him credit for what he grew.
As you know you won’t be able to officially enter him in a record book and get credit for the repair but at least the buck will be recognized with the rack that he grew. And look a lot better in my opinion.
I might.

I have never repaired any of the broken antlers on any deer I have mounted for myself. For some reason this one is tempting me. Maybe because it's such a pretty rack.

+1

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom