55 Elk - any good?

B

berad

I got drawn for elk in unit 55 A, Colin Neblett, during the mid October hunt. Anyone hunted this area before?

What am I in for? Hunting in the pines or will I be using glass across valleys? Is mid October after the rut, or should I try bugeling?

Is this a backpack hunt, or is it fairly accessible?

Does it mean I can only hunt in the Colin Neblett area?

I am not looking for GPS coordinates, just some general help from anyone whose been in this region or has hunted this hunt before. Thanks in advance.

You drew a good hunt! We drew the same dates but in the valle vidal (55 also) I believe you can only hunt the colin Neblett area probably refer to the proc. I have never hunted there but from what I understand from close friends that have it's alot of walking unless you have horses. There are alot of elk in there. Like anything it depends alot on the weather for calling. The peak rut is a couple weeks earlier but the competition is high in there so they still may be whistling away!! Lets keep our fingers crossed! I figure your best bet is to sit high, glass, locate and stalk. Good luck!

Pretty good unit. Yep , you better have your walking boots broke in. The hunt area is a bit of a trek from the road. Can't drive into the area , so it's all by foot or hoove.
As for the hunting , I do believe it's a pretty good unit with plenty of elk...

which part? North or South? u only stay in C.N..

no fairly accessible...like everyone said..by foot or hooves..Long way to get in better hunting area...very steep in some area..

backpack will work for you so u don't have walk all way back to truck after hard huntin..stay there and camp there..LOTS of DEER!

good luck

vinihunt

if you dont have snow get as high and as far back as you can. if you have snow you can hunt lower and still get into some good bulls, rough country in the higher areas. the bulls should still be making noise. it will make them easier to locate. but they probably wont come in. I would try to find some horses!

So it sounds like I will be in for a rough time without horses...Or is it possible to hike in everyday?

How would I go about finding someone with horses to take us in? Any ideas?

I know of a guy from Questa that guides and may be able to hire . Not sure what his schedule is like as he stays busy in 53 but will try and contact his brother and see if I can get a number to help you out.

Great, Thanks.

Anyone else know of anyone that could take us by horseback into the hunt area each morning? Or, how about setting up a drop camp for us further in?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom