.58 cal RB / moose?

mainer

I've got a hunter this year who's hunting moose with a Hawken style percussion rifle, .58 cal, round ball, BP, but I don't know how many grains. Any 1st hand experience out there with such a combination on a bull? Range will likely be 75 yards or less. Thanks, Guy

.58 caliber roundballs are 279 grains of lead. At the range of 75 yards yup, it would do quite a number on a moose. You wont get pass through penetration but you will have a nearly 5/8" hole going in.

Another option is for him to see if Ball-ets will shoot out of his 58 (depends on barrel twist). But if so he can use a tad more powder without worrying about striping. Man a .58 cal 310 to 470grn bullet shot into a moose would be damn fun to watch. THAT would knock it on its ass in nothing flat.

I love smokepoles :)

-DallanC

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-06 AT 10:25PM (MST)[p]Any reason why you failed to mention the rifle manufacturer?

Some allow more powder than others... as much as 120 grains.

If you want real facts, call the manufacturer for verification. Have you serial number handy by the phone.

I use a Green Mountain 58 and 90 grains is sufficient with that 280ish grain roundball at 75 yards for moose.

All the fella told me was that it's an old rifle he's had for many years. I'm thinking that it'll take at least 90 grains of BP, which sounds sufficient. He's used it alot, so I'm not too worried about that. I didn't want to pester heck out of the guy about his rifle/caliber/bullet choice unless there was a consensus that what he's using is inadequate. I'm just curious about experiences you guys have had with a similar set up on a similar beast. Sounds to me like effectively killing a good bull is something that gun will do. I appreciate your responses. Thanks, Guy

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-06 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]>Any reason why you failed to
>mention the rifle manufacturer?
>
>Some allow more powder than others...
>as much as 120 grains.

The problem with roundballs is it is very easy to "strip" the ball over the riflings due to the surface area of the ball that touches the barrel rifling is so small. A conical or ball-et offers more surface area to "bite" into the rifling allowing for greater powder charges.

90ish grains is about the max I've been able to get away with before stripping becomes a problem.

Back to the orginal question, aye a .58 would be fun to take a moose with.

-DallanC

I used a T/C Big Boar in .58 cal for several years. It liked a 525gr Great Plains bullet pushed by 110gr of Pyrodex. I killed a couple deer and a cow elk with this combo and it worked great. I don't think a .58 round ball at 75 yards would be no problem on a moose.

Mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom