6.5 prc or 6.5X284

freebird63

Have decided to retire the 300 RUM, its a great gun, just too heavy for me to pack around the hills.
Who here has experience with both??
I suppose I should have done this before hunting season, but am hoping someone will want a turn key package when I get her all sexied up

Chuck in Boise

Chuck
You might also post this in the classified section I think you will have an easier time selling it there

Good Luck

Of you are building a custom rifle on a long action, I'd go with the 6.4-284. if you want a true short action, the PRC will be a better choice. Lots a nice factory rifles available in the PRC now, Christensen, Browning, etc. Only drawback is limited choices in factory ammo.

2a0fcsk.gif

i own both and favor the 6.5x284 norma, Both are great rounds, as a reloader I favor the 6.5x284 norma primarily because I can run lapua brass and push the heaviest 6.5mm bullets slightly faster. If a short action is your fancy and you are a reloader I would take a look at the 6.5saum over the 6.5prc

Coloradoboy

Ya I'm leaning towards the 6.5X84 I am a reloader......Have you ever tried N570 in your 6.5X284.

Chuck in Boise

For someone that reloads I think the 6.5x284 is a great choice, especially with Lapua brass available. Retumbo was the best in mine, N570 is probably going to fill the case before reaching good velocity.

The PRC is a good choice if you're going with factory ammo but the brass is poor for reloading from a durability standpoint.

That's my other option, if it doesn't sell then will have smith cut down barrel to 26" and shoot it til its done and then re-barrel with carbon barrel.

Chuck in Boise

The one knock on the 6.5-284 is the rebated rim. My next 6.5 will be either a 6.5-06 or a 6.5-06 ackley. I have kicked around the idea of a 6.5prc though. The PRC is everything the 6.5 needmore wishes it was.

The 6.5 prc is an impressive cartridge. I really enjoy mine but I like the 6.5saum better for the short action magnum (.532) bolt face options. The 6.5cm is a different dynamic than the prc. Honestly a 6.5 creed that can drive a 140ish grain high BC bullet in the low 2800 FPS is bad medicine on antelope, deer, bears and elk with good shot placement. I chose to carry my 6.5x47 lapua in the elk hunt woods this year and so far it has two bulls in two shots to its credit running a 140 Berger EOL at 2812 FPS.
Coloradoboy

>The 6.5 prc is an impressive
>cartridge. I really enjoy mine
>but I like the 6.5saum
>better for the short action
>magnum (.532) bolt face options.
>The 6.5cm is a different
>dynamic than the prc. Honestly
>a 6.5 creed that can
>drive a 140ish grain high
>BC bullet in the low
>2800 FPS is bad medicine
>on antelope, deer, bears and
>elk with good shot placement.
>I chose to carry my
>6.5x47 lapua in the elk
>hunt woods this year and
>so far it has two
>bulls in two shots to
>its credit running a 140
>Berger EOL at 2812 FPS.
>
>Coloradoboy

Most 6.5 creedmores are closer to 2,700-2,750fps with a 140 unless you have a longer or exceptionally fast barrel. It is a great cartridge for little girls or guys with tender shoulders ;-)

You must run 22 inch barrels with factory ammo. The ones I've messed with have been 24 and 26 tubes 1:8 twists. Lapua small primer brass and H4350

Coloradoboy

I'm thinking of retiring my heavy 7mm mag. for a lighter weight 6.5prc that has close to the same ballistics but a lot less recoil.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom