6.5x55 Shooters?

W

WAredneck

Hi, Any 6.5x55 shooters out there? I just got one and could use some info on reloads and what kinda game you use them for. How close to the .260 are they? Thanks. Willy

Don't own one but I'm interested for my daughter. The 260 Rem and 6.5x55 are very similar. They are within 100 to 200 fps on most loads according to the Nosler reloading guide. The 260 barely edges out the 6.5. Not sure about factory loads but I'm sure the ballistics reflect the reloading book.
I think it looks like a great deer, antelope, or even varmint/coyote rig. The only thing that would turn me in one direction or another would be the rifle it's chambered in.
A hunting nut friend of mine had a 6.5 and loved it. He offered to let me use it when I was young but I never did. Everything I've ever read says it's a great chambering for deer sized game too.
I listed the FPS For the fastest loads in each bullet weight hope it helps.
100 grn. Ballistic tip or partition = 3188 fps
120 grn. Ballistic Tip = 3002 fps
125 grn. Partition = 2990 fps
140 grn. Partition = 2790 fps

I think I'd go with the 125 partition. Why'd you go and post this question? Now I want to go shopping again!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-03 AT 10:44PM (MST)[p]have a 96 swedish mauser in that chambering.love it.dont know much about modern sporters chambered in it.id recomend a ruger 77(or mkII).
hicountry

I have a .260 and really like it too. There isn't much diffrence between the two. Both have hard to find factory ammo, both are really good shooters, both don't kick much, and both will put a hurtn' on anything to reasonable ranges...

I shot a nice buck with my .260 last year. He was walking at about 250 yards quartering away. I sent a 140gr siera through his shoulder and out his neck. Dropped like a bag of spuds...

The reserch that a did before I had mine built showed that the 6.5mm family really performs well. They just never caught on in the US like they did in Europe and beyond. A lot of long range compititors use 6.5 due to the fact that they offer great balistic coeficents.

The best peforming bullets will be in the 115-130 gr. range, due to the fact that most non mag 6.5mm don't have a barrel with fast enough twist to stablelize the bullets.

Good luck

Ivan

the swede is a great cartridge and the ol' model 96 is a great rifle. only thing about them that a guy might be aware of is that they are military rifles and have an odd twist in the barrel, to stabilize the long bullets that the military used then. might have some trouble with lighter bullets, like the cartridge is really best suited for. and they have that dang military trigger that you have to pull about a foot before it will fire. try some 129's in it. it should shoot them ok i would think. that seems to be a real good bullet in the .264 diameter.

I shot the little Swede last night and boy is it a shooter. Unfortunitly it only has an 18" barrel which will really hurt the speed and trajectory but, I turned in a couple of 1/2 inch groups with it. I was shooting 140 grain Federal factory loads so I am really looking forward to hitting the loading bench and see what happens. If you have any good loads please feel free to share, I hate to re-invent the wheel. As RLH says I think I'll have to stick with the longer bullets due to the twist of that short barrel.

I have a swede with the 18'' barrel to and have been shooting 120 gr with great results 2 deer 1 shot each clean kills . just bought some 100gr hornady to try so far they shoot good on paper will see about deer this fall also a timmney trigger is a must on the swede best little gun I own hope you enjoy yours

Hey Idaho, Where you from? I was raised in SE Idaho and love it there. Unfortunatly there are not many jobs there. Still hav a lot of family in the Pocatello area.

I live in Cour'Dalene now but grew up in central Oregon been hunting an shooting mostly shooting not the luckyest hunter for 35years now love shooting speedgoats you must know some hotspots being from the south may call on you next fall where are you now being WAREDNECK sounds like it must be Washington let me know pete

Yup, I live in western Washington now. After I retired from the Navy I found a good job here and stayed. Western Washington is OK but, it's not like SE Idaho. I still have several good high school friends that live there. Give me a holler if your going down there and I'll hook you up with one of my buddies down there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom