6.5x55

All good!! Similar to the 260 or 7mm-08 range of cartridges, a great low recoiling round most suited for deer sized game but could be used for other bigger bodied game like Elk at modest ranges.

This was my hunting Pards first hunting cartridge. When he shot it at game, $hit died!

Joey

It's actually a great cartridge. It was designed in the early 1890's and is popular in Europe. It has been successfully used for various sized critters from varmints to moose. It was a military round for many years and can be found in surplus small ring Mausers. The original loading data is very mild but when it's built on a commercial action, ammo that is loaded to modern pressures will perform well enough to take any deer in North America.

The long 6.5mm bullets have a high sectional density and penetrate very well as well as have a high ballistic coefficient. A 140 gr VLD bullet will out perform a .308 Win with 168 gr Match bullets at 1000 yards.

In 1997 Remington standardized the .260 Remington which is a .243 Win necked up or a .308 Win/7-08 Rem necked down to 6.5mm. Ballistically it is close enough to the 6.5x55 to call them equal. The .260 Rem has a large following in High Power Silhouette matches. It offers low recoil, ample power, and can be extremely accurate.

thanks for replys i won a kimber in this caliber a few years ago and never took it out of my safe. Maybe I will hold on to it.

Most guys build the 6.5-55 on long actions. Its damn near the same length as a 284win.....You wont be able to run the long boolits and use the cartrige to its max potential unless its built with a fast twist barrel and on a long action. My vote would be the 260rem....but I prefer short actions.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom