600 Year Old Luna

eelgrass

Long Time Member
We had Luna the whale.(RIP)

Here in California we have Luna the Redwood tree. Just a few miles from my house. In 1997 a young girl(Julia Butterfly Hill) trespassed onto private property, climbed up in the tree and stayed there for over 2 years without comming down! She named the tree "Luna". Her Earth First friends kept her in supplies.

The Pacific Lumber Co. who owned the land finally caved in and agreed to never cut it down. (It was never earmarked to be fell anyway since it was passed over before as unmarketable). It also has a 250' buffer zone around it.

I asked an official of Pacific Lumber Co.(and a friend of mine) if I could put up a tree stand on their property for hunting? He said I would be arrested. Go figure!

44177bc224a223af.jpg

http://www.peaceheroes.com/JuliaButterflyHill/luna.htm

What is she wiping her butt with for those 2 years? And wouldn't that area below the tree be a biological hazard? Or are her hippie friends packing out the waste?

Steve, for those that don't know, maybe you can tell us as to what became of ms. juliabutterfly. Thanks

Steve I thought it still got cut down or something like
I heard.....maybe a repair job after some vandals tried
to saw it down!
jack

She had a whole bunch of Earth Firsters camped with her. I was never there (it's private property, you know). I did hear that the smell was pretty ripe though.

She never was an Earth Firster herself. She just used them. She completely disassociated herself from them when she came down. They were not happy about it either. After she left some "vandals" did some cutting on Luna with chainsaws, but failed to get the job done.

Those were pretty tense times around here. Lots of long haired hippies in dreadlocks all over town. Four were arrested one time and their heads were shaved because they had head lice. They sued the County and were awarded $25,000 each. Almost caused a riot from us timber workers. I had a bumper sticker that said THE ONLY GOOD TREE IS A STUMP (hey, you had to be here, LOL!)

One Earth Firster was killed by a falling Redwood when he decided to harass some tree fallers.(if you keep sticking a lion with a pin eventually you're going to get swatted!) After an investigation, it was ruled an "accident".

She wrote a book and had speaking tours. Later she went to Ecuador to protest an oil pipeline, but she was arrested and deported.

What's she doing now? I did a search......

http://www.circleoflifefoundation.org/

Check it out for yourself. I personally don't get it!

Steve

Hey Steve didnt she get "knocked up" when she was in the tree too?
Also after the hippy was killed by the falling tree someone painted "DEAD HIPPY RIDGE" on the gate to the logging road where it happend. Just about wet myself when I drove by LOL.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

I checked it out and read a couple of her blogs. Circle of Life sounds like a drug induced, search my innermost fears, green peace, find another drug induced hippy, make me feel good, can't we all just get along, love me love you love all,.......

I couldn't take much more, I left and am now contempilating what feel good drug to use so I can actually come down to there level of "can't we all just get along" feeling.

Maybe a redwood fire and a 12 guage bunny hunt ...........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom