61 archery

GJHUNTER

First off I hope everyone has a safe hunting season and good luck to everyone. I will be camped off of 407 in 61 towards Franks bench at the corral. I will be hunting deer, if any hunters want to swing be and chat you are more then welcome. If I see any elk I am willing to share I have no reason not too.

Andy

That's a very nice offer GJHUNTER. That is one of the areas that I'll be scouting for bulls. If I see your camp maybe I'll swing in and say hi. I hope you find a whopper buck!

Gadjet

GJ, where is location from the Columbine Camp on the Divide road? Our camp is close to being in the middle of the unit close to Divide. Are you north of south of us?

I believe your camp is close to columbine pass, we would be north of you, way north. about two miles north of Uncompahgre Butte(radio towers)is where we will be camped

The corral is 28 miles north of Columbine Pass, it can seem real long driving a big camper rig.

GJ, you Dog, you're in my spot! Actually I'm going to be looking over a spot a little north of there this weekend.

Haha, I didnt pick it a buddy from works says he always camps there and the cowboys watch his stuff. He will be there as well. Well stop by and say hi. Let me know of you need any help

Thank you Bean Man for the directions. We will be near Columbine Camp ground on the 11th with three cow tags in our pockets....hope to smell me some black powder come early morning Sept. 13.

GJ,

How did you like the rain Friday night and Saturday? Cow hitting a flat rock. I'll bet the road into the corral was a hoot. We waited it out (really glad to have a hard sided camper) and then got caught in a nasty downpour on the snowshoe trail.

Cowtag,

Hopefully you will get some shots for your group. My Wife just retired and her 50th BDay party is on the 20th so I am roasting a hog for it. That will cut down on my Unc time during Blackpowder season.

Didnt take the trailer up this weekend, not sure if the other guys did. Saturday morning at first light wasn't too bad down low, checked out a few spots but the deer were bedded and hard to find. Headed up past the corral and it got cold and rainy. Did run into some elk one decent one. It was 42 degrees when we were up there. Hopefully opening weekend works out and I can get an OTC elk tag.

GJ,
I will be around starting on the 12th,hope to
Stop by and shoot the S*.t. If we locate any
Monsters I will definitely make it a point to pass
Along the info.
John

Tough hunt this year. Didnt see many huge bucks. Saw lots of elk. Was able to get this guy last night

2825image.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-14 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]Hopefully I will get the story up shortly. I did see and hears tons of bulls. Oh and 8 bears opening weekend. Nothing big on bulls 300-320, not too bad for not looking for them. I think the elk were really concentrated. How did everyone else do that was looking for elk

Finally the story.........so since June I had been on a narrow high 4x4. Two weeks before season cows moved on and moved the bucks I had spent all summer on. Didnt have any other spots scouted at all. Decided to hunt in the oak brush pine mix on opening morning. Well the first day I saw more bears then bucks. 5 bears four bucks. One 3x3 that was about 28 inches wide. Couldn't get a clear shot. Decided to get on the high point that evening. Saw four more bucks nothing special the biggest was 140-145. Sunday morning decided to hint the same spot as Saturday morning, for got to mention I saw the starts of a nice non-typical in June and would from the week before season that there was a 190 non-typical in there. Anyway.... Only a couple deer on Sunday morning. Late morning decided to get into the aspen and slowly work my way through. 40 elk and two small bucks. Early afternoon more aspen and the elk were screaming.... 2pm on 4x3 maybe 145-150 decide to pass. Evening hunt low, nothing. Monday morning decided I head down to the tongue area. It was a little windy, only a couple of fork horns. Late morning decided to hit another aspen patch. 4x4 160 at 40 yard bedded to clear shot. Waited a few minutes... Drew again decided to whistle. Buck looks right at and starts to run before he even stands up. Couldn't hunt the second weekend. Third weekend only one day to hunt. Pretty excited. Spoke to a guy , that told me where a 170 buck was..... Sweet. Get up there before light. Pull off to the side of the road and wait....start to go just before light. And I have a flat tire. No breaker bar, spare is flat, but I have an air pump and some other tools. Start messing around with airing up the flat getting jack set and look behind me. Four bucks largest was a 170-175 buck. They are gone!!!!! Get the tire changed and go to the spot where the other hunter told me to go. Simeon camped right it the same spot. So a wasted day. Second Wednesday before the end I decide that I am going to shoot a buck, whatever I see and at least get some meat. Afternoon hunt only. Do a short loop find a pond not on the map, decided to hang out for about 30 mins. Nothing. Decide to call it about 30 mins from sunset, thinking I might see something on the way down. About 500 yards from the jeep I spot a deer, it's about 60 yards away can tell its a buck not sure how big. It doesn't matter if I get a clear shot he's dead. Decoded to act like I didnt see him, ( the trail I was in would get me closer but it wasn't directly at him). Looking at him through the side of my eyes with my head down I stop when his head is right behind a tree and I have a foot wide opening right at his vitals. 36 yards and the rest is history. Sorry about the run on sentences, crappy spelling but there's the story. Good luck to everyone and shoot straight. Big weekend up coming!!!!!!good nihht

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom