61 bull

r270

When I first drew a 61 archery tag all I could think about was killing a giant bull.......boy did I miss the boat on this one this hunt was not about that giant bull but the journey, all the summer scouting trips, checking trail cams, more scouting. this hunt was about taking my son with me and him using his hoochie mama to call in a bull to 20 yards,my daughter being sooo excited for me every time I went out,it was about being in bugling bulls for 4 straight hours everymorning!!I did finally end up taking a great bull last Sunday morning I couldnt tell you how far away he was or which pin I used.... it was a perfect shot with him in mid bugle and dead in 40 yards!!! 61 is an amazing unit but I hope everybody applies for 76 so I will get another chance in there. enjoy the pictures

1013103_0687.jpg

3850103_0688.jpg

1517103_0689.jpg

4012103_0694.jpg

8274103_0701.jpg

Congrats man thats a nice bull. Thats what we all need to remember is its not about score but memories. I am eagerly anticipating my first rifle hunt in a few weeks. Sure a big one would be nice but its not all about that. Ive heard of a few big ones being chased that Im gonna try to find in the next few weeks but if not Im just going to enjoy a hunt with not alot of hunting pressure. Too bad he broke off that 4th, looks like it was fairly fresh too, they must be getting fired up up there. I will be up there this weekend scouting.

hey muleycrazy23 if you need any info on where i have been seeing bulls just let me know. have seen some good ones just far off.The bulls are going crazy...

hey r270, my name is dale, i drew 61 1st rifle. great pics,nice to have the kids along. i will be taking my grandboy with me. he,s 10. i have never been in 61 befor, hunted montrose in the 80,s. i have google earth the area everyday and know alot about the area. have talked to a few members also.i just wish i lived closer too 61 to scout it out. if you could help out, it would be great. dale / elkmeat

Congratulations on taking a good bull on your terms. My son and I will be in the Montrose area for the 2nd OTC season.

I'll be sending in (again) next year with 16PP's for 1st rifle.

Before you die.....Take time to live

magicman be prepared for the best hunt ever when you draw 61 It will be amazing , what unit will you be hunting second season??

congrats on a great bull.
It's more about the company than anything else.
See any bears?

Thanks for all the great comments it was a great hunt....my daughter should draw in only 8 more years !!!!!

Man I wish I would have known you had drawn that tag we could of hunted together. Congrats on a warrior bull. Man that hunt is one of a kind!!

Hey Clint yes it was a great hunt!!looks like you had a good one also, too bad it take soooo long to draw.

Fine job on a great bull!

r270 - I am sitting on 16 points for elk. What does it take to draw an archery,muzzy,or rifle tag in this unit? Would the rifle or muzzy hunts be as good in your opinion. Is this the (can't spell) uncompadre National Forest? I'd like to plan a hunt for next year and would welcome any advice.

Scott

lagriz are you a resident? That will make a big difference when it comes to PP. I had 10 points and drew a res.archery tag. Last year a friend of mine drew a first season rifle tag with 10 res points. Muzzleloading is up around 14-16 res points. All of these hunts are great ones.One thing that I can say whichever one you choose it will far exceed anything you can imagine, the elk action is amazing.Let me know if I can help you out with anything else .If you draw next year I can help with scouting or even show you around I spend alot of time up there ,my son and I are going out this weekend to call and video some bulls

Lagriz I did some checking according to the MM draw odds if you are a non resident you would draw a archery tag with 16 points ,you could draw any rifle tag with 16 points 1st-4th season,muzzleloading it will take 18 points to draw ...only 7 tags were given out this year.If you are a resident you can draw any of the tags with 16 points ..hope this helps

Congrats agian on your hunt of a life time. Sounds like you had a great time and even more than you expected. Way to hunt and get the job done on your own terms. Hope your daughter draws sooner, but it sound like it will be worth the wait.

I have been putting in and hope to draw within the next three or four years. I've hunted it once for deer - 3rd season and had a ball. Hope to hunt it several more times for deer and hopefully elk also. MI have been putting my wife, and three boys in for deer and elk for several years and hope to give them a great hunt at least once.

I have 15 points non residence and keep dreaming of the hunt when I can draw.

Best of luck with your remaining hunts this year!!!

gcox98 I did not get your pm ,I sent you an email with a email address that will work! Sorry for the mess up

Just throwing this out guys... if you are going to wait 16 plus years to hunt 61 you're wasting your time. If you are going wait that long for a tag go to unit 2 or 10. Larger bulls hands down and you can hunt with a rifle october 1st...

Why is hunting 61 a waste? Most people that hunt this unit will get a chance at a good bull maybe not a 400 inch but a good one .Can you even draw a tag in 2 or 10 with 16 points ?? I have hunted 61 3 times and it was great!! I have never hunted 2 or 10 so I cant say anything about them but 61 a waste.... dont think so .

I have a buddy that hunted 201 this year, which is supposed to have the biggest and most bulls in the state. He saw 3 bulls he thought might go 350 and that was it. He did kill one that was around 340, and locals said that as big as they get in any unit up there. Took 19yrs to draw for ML. He wishes he would have hunted 61, could have hunted it twice and still have a chance at a 350 class bull.

Don't get me wrong 61 is a great hunt and unit. But IMO if you are going to wait 10 plus years to kill an elk in colorado 2 10 or 201 are the place to go. Ive helped multiple people fill there tags in 2 and 10 and the smallest bull has been 337 the largest being 370. Seems to me the average bull in 61 is 280 to 300. I personally have found out of state alternatives... I can pull a type 1 tag in wyoming every 3 to 5 years as a NS and chase big bulls with my bow and rifle on the same tag

Unit 2 & 10 are units that would take twenty plus year if a non residence could ever draw. They don't issue enough tags to even use half of the highest prefrence points each year meaning non residence are not getting closer but farther out and may never draw these units. Believe me I was putting in foe these units until they made it where a non residence could not put in foe the private land owner tags, which put us all into a few good units instead of several dozen units.

I guess that it all comes down to how long do you want to wait to hunt elk ,most guys are trying to get the best hunt in the least amount of time which points you to 61 there are many good bulls above the 300 mark in 61, there was a 350+ killed this year during muzzy season ,alot of people are not worried what there bull scores as long as they have a good hunt I know my bull would not score well but I would not trade the hunt for anything!!.They are also in 2,10 and 201 just takes longer to draw.The problem I have is saying you are wasting your time to hunt 61!!

Haha as a local boy I figured you'd like me shooting down 61 to get less people to apply for it and give you better odds! But to each his own as far as unit preference goes. At my young age there is no possible way I will EVER see a unit 2 10 or 201 tag in my pocket unless I pull one of the lottery tags given which with my luck will never happen. Colorado's PP creep is a tough one to catch up from what ive seen. 61 will most likely become like the northwest corner areas are and everything is going to be 16 to god only knows to draw. 76 is heading that way too sadly..

you have that one right rocketman pumped 76 up and there are a lot of unhappy hunters they think if you can take pictures of them they will be easy to kill,I will probally not get to hunt 61 again with all the point creep just dont want others to miss the fun that I had during my archery hunt ....good luck with your wyoming hunts

first off, i would like to thank all the fellow members for all the help on my gmu 61 hunt.it truly was a hunt of a life time. i went there a week early,and scouted all the areas that were givin to me.they all had bulls in them. I saw a totol 39 6 pt bulls,biggest being 325". in one honey hole there were 13 bulls in a 5 acre area, all bulging there heads off. the second rut was in full swing.you could call them in with one cow call.i had a 320" bull come in within 6'. just looked at me wearing all orange and my butt was puckered tight to the aspen tree. talked to a guide and he said this 1st season hunt was the most unusual hunt he has ever seen. bulging none stop all day. one night i went out to turn off the generater and there was a bull standing in the lite from my camper.i averaged 15 miles a day scouting,most all of the major draws,and canyons.never saw one hunter walking very far from the roads or trails.all you had to do was go 1/4 of a mile.some of the camps i talked to with kidded me about tying one up.I killed my bull at 7;05 saterday morning.not the biggest 318",but most enjoyable.elkmeat

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom