61 cow muzzy

gburk

My 14 year old drew a unit 61 muzzleloader cow tag in the regular draw after trying for a couple years.
The problem is that mom says he can’t miss a week of school so I’m hoping to do a long weekend “smash n grab” as Jason Carter would say. I might be setting us up for stress and disappointment but I’ve seen the future with my other older boys and the schedule doesn’t get any better- so I’d like to give it a try.
Anyone have some tips to share to make it a success? He’ll be practiced out to 100yds with a peep sighted cva.

We also have a rifle bear tag that runs concurrent but that’s just for targets of opportunity.

Thanks in advance.

You could probably chase bugles in the morning and maybe sit water in the afternoons. There’s piles of Elk in there, nearly everywhere. Drop off the top just a bit, and there will be Elk in every drainage most likely. The Bears will mostly be much lower elevation.

How long is your drive to 61? Can you do 2 weekends? It should be a high success rate hunt. But, with limited time you need to consider how far you go in and have to pack out. It is easy to stay close to a road and find elk. Do like El Gringo said!

good stuff. Hadn’t thought of sitting water since I’d expect Colorado in sept to have plenty but maybe not up around the plateau?
Unfortunately it is a long drive, google maps says 17 hours to nucla from central Texas. Two weekends in a row would be enough to kill a man. It’ll be a long weekend, say he’ll miss school Friday and Monday.
I don’t mind a brutal pack out in a hurry after a kill but it’s the time crunch before the kill I’m worried about. Would like to have a solid progression of plans in place.

make an executive decision and tell mom its a week long hunt:rolleyes::rolleyes:
How’d you make out in the divorce? :D

But yeah I miss 2020 when no one seemed to care. Of course the kids are two years dumber than they should be, there is that downside…

For my part I just want to see straight As, I’m not seeing them from this kid, and I don’t want to contribute to it so I’d like to keep it short if possible. Actually this whole trip should be contingent on his grades, the problem of course is that it’s right when school starts and there won’t be any report cards out yet.

But I digress

How’d you make out in the divorce? :D

But yeah I miss 2020 when no one seemed to care. Of course the kids are two years dumber than they should be, there is that downside…

For my part I just want to see straight As, I’m not seeing them from this kid, and I don’t want to contribute to it so I’d like to keep it short if possible. Actually this whole trip should be contingent on his grades, the problem of course is that it’s right when school starts and there won’t be any report cards out yet.

But I digress

Fair enough! clearly I am single with no children, just givin you a hard time!? hope it all works out for you and the kid!!

I took all my boys on hunting trips to Wyoming while they were in school of one type or another and no grades suffered. :cool:

good stuff. Hadn’t thought of sitting water since I’d expect Colorado in sept to have plenty but maybe not up around the plateau?
Unfortunately it is a long drive, google maps says 17 hours to nucla from central Texas. Two weekends in a row would be enough to kill a man. It’ll be a long weekend, say he’ll miss school Friday and Monday.
I don’t mind a brutal pack out in a hurry after a kill but it’s the time crunch before the kill I’m worried about. Would like to have a solid progression of plans in place.
PM me your number, and I’ll give you some input. I’d take you guys out and kill one if I was still close to there.

My son was in the same boat 3 years ago with a 61-1st season cow tag. He could not miss ANY school and we had a weekend to hunt. I scouted 2 weeks prior to season. We drove up on friday evening. By 11am opening day we were packing out his cow. Home by 3pm sunday.

Last edited:
Burk if ya got the cajones send this to your wife.
Good luck!

-6705781145580406029.jpg

Just got back home today after an exciting and exhausting weekend.
We left Texas 7am Friday and set camp about midnight Friday night after about 18 hours on the road. After 4-5 hours of sleep we were hunting on opening day with bugles in the air!
8552AE46-50D1-49F9-8C3B-229AA9677E9E.jpeg

We headed downhill towards two or three bugling bulls but with bad wind we couldn’t maneuver around in time to cut them off before they quieted down and disappeared.

The plan had been to sit water up high in the afternoon and wait for a cow to show up. However upon inspecting a few tanks we didn’t see any fresh sign of elk frequenting the water sources. It seems they were mostly staying down lower where the cover was better. We proceeded to spend the afternoon of opening day hiking around to some different vantage points, issuing an occasional bugle, and seeing if we could locate anything.

FC1EA736-2507-46CD-91EB-40B1856A19AF.jpeg
We felt like we had a solid plan to cut off the herd the following morning but for the afternoon we felt like our best approach was to make it back to camp and catch up on sleep to be ready for the next morning. The only strategic alternative would have been a long blind hike downhill attempting to locate quiet elk- it just didn’t seem like a good prospect especially given the time of day and our general state of fatigue.
As we worked our way back towards camp about 2 miles away, my son said he wanted to stop and rest a minute and retie a boot. We hadn’t been sitting on a downed aspen log for more than a minute when all of the sudden we hear a thundering herd of elk running straight at us from on top of the plateau. It was all cows and a young 2x2. Might have been 15-30 cows total (first hand accounts vary on this point…)
We immediately rolled off the log and got behind it and I handed him the muzzleloader and told him to pick one out. I tried making some cow sounds without a reed and fortunately they slowed to a trot and then to a walk only 20-30yds away!
A pause. then..
BLAMM!
The herd looked around more confused than ever and gradually picked up speed away from us. Son said she went down! I said, reload! As I reloaded the cow apparently got back on its feet and took off downhill.

We followed on foot and pretty quickly lost sight of her. Son went looking that way while I examined the hit site. Absolutely nothing visible but I was a little uncertain about whether I was looking at the right place or what conclusion to draw. But if you told me it was a clean miss I’d have had to reluctantly agree.

Now, a few tears. It had been a long day and the apparent miss on an easy shot was too much to take.

My son was upset too :p

We were a couple hundred yards from the shot with only a general idea of which way the target cow went. No blood trail.

Here’s the magical part. While at the low point of our trip, my son says from behind his binos, “no it can’t be..” and proceeds to point out that perched up on a little ledge fortunately still in view, is our cow, bedded up and very much alive! But clearly hurt since she’s not running away. I’m not sure I’d have spotted her if he didn’t. It was amazing how small she made herself look

An insurance shot later, the cow coughed, kicked and expired. Success! Well fed cow in prime condition.
1204C026-F57A-49BD-B148-E97AC4CF3D5D.jpeg

We ended up splitting the packout into two trips and was impressed that my son took a hind quarter himself. (Nice job dad- no pics of that)

A37A4F53-54DD-4960-BF90-B37120427092.jpeg

Broke camp around noon Sunday, so we were there less than 36 hours total- less time than we spent driving there and back. I really missed my older sons who can drive. But we got what we came for. And minimal class time was missed.

C51C4D25-8C63-4F8B-A962-EEF5C564EB5D.jpeg

Probably missing tons of interesting details but wanted to share a great experience and offer thanks to those who reached out with some pointers about the area.

Congrats to you both!
Wondering if you could share where the first shot impacted?
An elk that has been running just a bit before getting shot can sometimes make it quite a ways away in a short amount of time.
There are a lot of elk in that place and it is a fun area to hunt and camp in.

Congrats to you both!
Wondering if you could share where the first shot impacted?
An elk that has been running just a bit before getting shot can sometimes make it quite a ways away in a short amount of time.
There are a lot of elk in that place and it is a fun area to hunt and camp in.
Thanks!
I was considering an addendum to that effect.. 245 grain powerbelt hit right front shoulder and was ultimately fatal, but did not exit (which is fairly apparent above). I didn't go into the cavity looking for it and haven't yet butchered the quarters.
He was only shooting 85 grains (measured by volume) of BH209 since I favored a lighter load so that he would actually practice with the peep sight rather than getting flinchy, and we wouldn't go over 100 yards. Next time we'll bump that up in hopes of getting an exit wound and a bloodtrail. In no time he'll be taller than me so some extra powder won't hurt then :)

Congratulations for you and your son. Great story and results. A 14 yr old packing a hind quarter is something to be proud of also. You were on a mission, fast and furious, hopefully you’ll have more time to relax on your next family hunt.

This isn’t to take anything away from your choices or hunt. You guys did great in all aspects! But you mentioned your load, so I will give my opinion there. The 85 gr of BH 209 was fine. Plenty of power to kill an elk out to 100 yards and beyond. But I consider a 300 gr a minimum for elk. And there are better bullets out there than powerbelts. More on that later

Last edited:
Some other choices.

Thors have to be sized to your gun but are awesome bullets.

These are great bullets too but a little big for him maybe.

Again nothing under 400 gr

This is my personal favorite when you can find them. Killed a bull last fall with them

For bigger bullets you could reduce BH powder to 80 gr and still be plenty of power out to 150 yards. Remember that BH 209 is about 15% more powerful than black powder. So 80 gr = 92 gr black powder. The 45/70 killed lots of big critters. (45 cal, 70 gr black powder)

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback, at 30yds i'd like to see more of an involuntary response from the elk than we did... and I'm open to other ideas. Will look into some of those options.

Congrats on a job well done! I agree with Tx 85grains is plenty. I to hunt Colorado every other year and shoot No Excuse 460 grain bullet. Good medicine for either deer or elk. Again Congrats

Thors are one of the best, for sure, but the 350 gr federal bor lock (lead alloy) and the 460 gr No excuse will knock the snot out of anything you shoot them at.

Some other choices.

Thors have to be sized to your gun but are awesome bullets.

These are great bullets too but a little big for him maybe.

Again nothing under 400 gr

This is my personal favorite when you can find them. Killed a bull last fall with them

For bigger bullets you could reduce BH powder to 80 gr and still be plenty of power out to 150 yards. Remember that BH 209 is about 15% more powerful than black powder. So 80 gr = 92 gr black powder. The 45/70 killed lots of big critters. (45 cal, 70 gr black powder)
Thanks for the info TX . I was needing some other choices as well. My accura V2 likes the powerbelts but I was curious on others as well

Powerbelts sell great because they are generally accurate. And if I was in a shooting competition, I might try them. But I have not shot an animal with them in 15 years.

Or if I was shooting an omega. Their plastic rear bell acts like a sabot and keeps the gasses trapped behind the bullet until it exits. Some omegas won’t shoot a flat based bullet.

Great job for you and your son.

I have killed a couple elk that have been run hard prior to me shooting them. When they are amped up they just don't react to a fatal hit like a calm elk will.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom