66 controlled deer

muleyhunter413

Hello guys and gals. I am looking for any information you could and would share with me on this unit. My 11 year old daughter drew this permit and it is her first big game tag! We are no residents and don't know the unit. I would love to be able to show her some deer and hopefully find a buck that would go 20? ish as her siblings have both killed that size for their firsts. I'm sure she won't be too picky but is this a goal that is going to be attainable without much hiking? Any help is very appreciated.

It will be a tough but possible goal. Every 11 year old is different. Some don't like the cold, others don't like hiking off trail, some have a hard time finding an animal in the scope and some kids have more energy and enthusiasm than their dads. If you have the either sex tag it will be tough if she isn't willing to put the work and time in. Remember this unit Is OTC for any buck for 2 weeks in October and OTC archery for any deer in September. It is also OTC for bull and cow elk rifle and archery hunts. If she got lucky and picked up the tag that allows her to hunt the last 2 weeks of November it would be consideredably easier to get a 20? buck without as much effort.

She has the 10/05-11/08 tag. I am hoping for some weather to help push em down. We are planning to hunt the last week of the hunt. Thanks for the info.

Best week of the hunt would be first week, before all the other rifle hunts open. Be prepared for ATV?s behind every tree as the general OTC cow elk hunt runs until the 15th of November. There are rules against using them, but no one follows the law when it comes to 4 wheelers.

definitely go the first week. if you can come back end of season if unsuccessful and there has been some good snow storms in Wyoming the end of the season can be really good.

I may differ from what IDBulls said, I have no experience in that unit but being able to hunt that first week of November is a huge advantage, general deer pressure will be off and the bucks will be letting their guard down as they get other things on their mind. I've long said that when it comes to units that are only open from Oct 10-24 the first week would be best but even just hunting the last week in units that are open until the 31st the prerut action really picks up and the bucks become a little more active and lose some sensibility, being able to hunt 8 days past that seems like a no brainer to me

>I may differ from what IDBulls
>said, I have no experience
>in that unit but being
>able to hunt that first
>week of November is a
>huge advantage, general deer pressure
>will be off and the
>bucks will be letting their
>guard down as they get
>other things on their mind.
>I've long said that when
>it comes to units that
>are only open from Oct
>10-24 the first week would
>be best but even just
>hunting the last week in
>units that are open until
>the 31st the prerut action
>really picks up and the
>bucks become a little more
>active and lose some sensibility,
>being able to hunt 8
>days past that seems like
>a no brainer to me
>

Normally I would echo your words about the first week of November, but I am very familiar with this unit. All access roads, trails (illegal or legal) will be over run with ATVs. Literally thousands of cow elk hunters (otc) make November a very crowded time. You can find deer, probably some rut activity, but I would prioritize the fist week, then come back for the last week if I wasn?t successful early.

It has been 3 years since I've hunted 66 but know it well. I have hunted 66 with my dad since the late 1980?s and my dad started hunting in 66 in the 1960?s with his dad. I agree with IDbulls about the hunting pressure from elk hunters. The either sex tag really isn't that great of a tag. It is better than the OTC rifle general tag if this is the only unit you hunt but these deer get a lot of hunting pressure, You can't just drive down the road and consistently kill a 20? buck like you can in other units in the west. The last week has potential to be good if you have favorable weather but you won't be alone because all the OTC cow elk hunters will make it seem more crowded than you might expect. Even though the habitat looks great, the winter range limits the number of deer. Overall 66 doesn't have really high deer densities. Last year success rate for OTC rifle deer in 66 was only 11%. The either sex hunt had higher success at 38% but a majority of the hunters killed antlerless deer. Less than 20% of the either sex hunters killed ANY buck last year. It is beautiful country and there are good genetics for growing big antlers in 66 but it isn't going to be an easy hunt.
Don?t forget to come back and report after your hunt.

Thank you all for the information! I would love to come hunt the first part with my daughter but I have other obligations And that week isn't looking good. I do appreciate that advice though. Any suggestions on which part of that unit to look for deer in the last week? A 20? buck would be great but I don't think she is gonna be very picky. Thank you all for the information it really is appreciated.

I have spent a lot of time on that unit. The deer densities are very low and there is a lot of cover with leaves etc. Very thick. If some snow and weather can knock a lot of the leaves off it will help a ton. Road access is basic but you can pack a camp in on atv trails to hunt farther back. That is what I do.

>Best week of the hunt would
>be first week, before all
>the other rifle hunts open.
>Be prepared for ATV?s behind
>every tree as the general
>OTC cow elk hunt runs
>until the 15th of November.
>There are rules against using
>them, but no one follows
>the law when it comes
>to 4 wheelers.

States should have outlawed 4 wheelers years ago or make it a crime instead of a violation use them off road!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom