6A Archery Bull Elk

Zim

Very Active Member
Want to get some opinions if it’s a decent use of points to list 6A archery elk as a 2nd choice with 8 NR points. Reason being I am highly likely draw nearby Utah Pauns archery deer which ends Sept 15, so a convenient overlap. Thx.

Seems like a lot of tags. Overcrowding could be an issue? Might call in a few hunters......can't imagine sitting water n the evenings.....

It's unlikely you will draw AZ with 8 NR points but 6a has its pros and cons. Lots of elk but lots of hunters. Nearly impossible to get away from hunters especially north of Stoneman lake Rd. I'd say 2/3 of hunters are north of road and the rest are south of it. Very popular unit for RV's, campers and ATV/UTV recreationalist.

6A early archery took 11 points guaranteed draw as a nonresident in 2023. Odds for 8 points were 5.5%, the likelihood of you drawing is very small. IMO there are better units that you have a genuine chance if you do more research, also with bigger bulls.

I am evolving to grampa mode due to multiple health issues. My preference would be for units favorable to tree stand hunting over wallows. I don’t expect to draw, but would like to pick some units with a little better random odds than unit 1 where I’ve been applying. Hunted it twice. Health is running out so trying to use my points somewhere while I have some mobility.

I am evolving to grampa mode due to multiple health issues. My preference would be for units favorable to tree stand hunting over wallows. I don’t expect to draw, but would like to pick some units with a little better random odds than unit 1 where I’ve been applying. Hunted it twice. Health is running out so trying to use my points somewhere while I have some mobility.
6A might be the ticket then. We've had 4 tags in late rifle over the years, and we went 4 for 4. Yep, lots of hunters, but also lots of elk. You can easily hunt it without extreme physical effort.

It's probably not a "premier" bull unit, but there are some nice ones in there regardless.

My hunting buddies do alot of 6a archery hunting. They seem to get tags about every 5 or 6 years . Lots of good bills 6 x6 or better . Water is usually your friend . I was up last year during the muzzleloader hunt helping my dad and his buddy from Texas . The first elk to come in was a 7x7 . There are as mentioned lots of hunters and lots of road hunters also they seem to travel just at day break and again at prime time . We watched the same guy's pass the water hole we set a blind on every day and they only saw 1 spike . We had bulls every day . The bad was they had cow tags . Aaron got his cow on day 5 and my dad got his shot on day 6 from the same spot . The cow ran with the group of 8 and split off at around 300yds . I didn't feel dad could make that shot . He didn't either if I'd have brought my paramount pro it would have been do- able. We watched his elk and thought it was done only to find it wasn't his it was from another hunt and a bear had gotten to it . They ran the same way and from where we were it was a elk down . No other opportunities for dad on the last day .

Applied 6A second choice with 11 points. Killed the bull in my avatar in that unit. It's difficult to avoid other hunters as mentioned earlier but if you hunt hard you will get opportunities.

I would take the worst AZ archery elk unit over just about any other elk tag in the US.
I had a NM Valle Vidal Early October Muzzle Loader OIL tag in 2021. Twenty tags total for hunt and only one tag for a NR without a guide and I drew it. Probably the worst elk hunt I have ever been on other than a Winslow Limited draw tag. Maybe the most Beautiful country I have ever seen but the elk hunting was terrible.
I agree with you. I will take any average AZ unit over any other public land tag in US. Over last 42 years, I've had archery 17a-b, 6a, 6b, 7e, 7w, 5a, 5bn, 5bs, 10, and 27 and all were much better hunts.

Unit 6a would be a good choice. It has maybe the most elk in az. All of the Scottsdale hunters go there when they get drawn with their new rifle they got from Sportsman’s.

Lots of elk in 6A is why it has so many tags. All AZ units have lots of hunters and helpers, campers, recreational people in general. I had a archery hunt with 15 tags once and there were guides and helpers on every tank, ridge, and bugling too. Dont let it discourage you. Good luck!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom