6mm ARC build for the grandsons

3TOE

Very Active Member
After my recent build of the T/C turkey pistol, I had purchased numerous components that I opted to not use on that build. That led me down the road of putting together a small low recoil carbine that my grandsons can use for deer hunting back east.
Overall it’s together, but I just purchased a 6 position AR style butt for it because I believe the LOP on this standard stock might be too long for them right now.
SSK-50 frame
SSK Custom 16.25” 6mmARC barrel 1-7 twist
SSK forend
T/C butt stock with adj. cheek riser
Sig scope & rings 4.5x14

I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_1930.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great 3toe! That is a great gun for a kiddo to grown up on, have you decided on a bullet yet?
Thanks! I picked up some Hornady 103gr ELD X & some 95gr Nosler Ballistic tip.
I’m leaning towards the Nosler, but it depends on which round produces the better accuracy.

Now I’m waiting on a 12” 6ARC barrel from Match Grade Machine to build out a pistol. Lol…
I have a Contender G2 frame that I’m not using that will be perfect for the pistol.

Both sound like a solid choice I am partial to the heavy for caliber bullets, have to go with accuracy over everything of course

Both sound like a solid choice I am partial to the heavy for caliber bullets, have to go with accuracy over everything of course
I’m right there with you on the heavier bullet choices.
I’m a bit weary of the Hornady round due to performance in my nephews .308. I know that there is no comparison between the calibers, but I’ve seen 2 animals that he’s shot with the ELD X round that makes me believe they have a tendency to come apart on impact. Both resulted in a dead animal, but the entry wounds were really unbelievable.

I’m right there with you on the heavier bullet choices.
I’m a bit weary of the Hornady round due to performance in my nephews .308. I know that there is no comparison between the calibers, but I’ve seen 2 animals that he’s shot with the ELD X round that makes me believe they have a tendency to come apart on impact. Both resulted in a dead animal, but the entry wounds were really unbelievable.
Absolutely the eld-X and eld-m are designed to come apart and do so very violently. Which may or may not lead to a pass through. If that’s really important it’s probably not your choice, I have shot several deer with the eldx and little to no tracking was required, my only complaint is I have lost a lot of meat usually most of a front quarter from violence of fragmentation

Absolutely the eld-X and eld-m are designed to come apart and do so very violently. Which may or may not lead to a pass through. If that’s really important it’s probably not your choice, I have shot several deer with the eldx and little to no tracking was required, my only complaint is I have lost a lot of meat usually most of a front quarter from violence of fragmentation

This was my nephews last harvest with an ELD-X. No exit wound. I couldn’t believe the hole it made. Crazy!

IMG_8480.jpeg

I mean it performed as advertised I’d say. I have killed and antelope from 60-500 yards and as long as the velocity is above 1800 fps I get big nasty wound channels, that is impressive though

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom