7 points going into next year

chicken77

I will have 7 points going into next years Wyoming deer draw, and I'm looking for suggestions on which unit to put in for. I was thinkning 102 but I have not been on this unit before. I enjoy the high country so I'm kind of torn. What say you MM......

"I'm just looking for justice, a bit of that tit for tat, and to do it with some style a classic sense of panache"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-14 AT 11:25AM (MST)[p]You're not going to like it, but Region G. No Wyoming limited quota unit is worth 7 points...unless you are after 130-160 deer. Only cavaet is if you have access to primo private land or are a local with vast unit experience then a better deer is a safe bet.

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-14
>AT 11:25?AM (MST)

>
>You're not going to like it,
>but Region G. No
>Wyoming limited quota unit is
>worth 7 points...unless you are
>after 130-160 deer. Only
>cavaet is if you have
>access to primo private land
>or are a local with
>vast unit experience then a
>better deer is a safe
>bet.

What he said!

Well that is not the news I wanted to hear ha ha. Maybe I will keep gathering points until units make a come back. I will look into the Cavaet, thank you

"I'm just looking for justice, a bit of that tit for tat, and to do it with some style a classic sense of panache"

You will be waiting a long time. No significant changes on the horizon. If you like high country why not use your points on G or H? You get to hunt, the hunting is good and you can find a nice buck. What are you waiting for?

Spent 5 days in G this year people dumping 18 inchers 6 miles back in. Haven't seen a good buck yet dead or alive. Lots of little guys this year.

As mentioned above, deer are in recovery mode pretty much everywhere in Wyo. I've only seen a handful of deer in a week of elk hunting in an area that used to have deer everywhere. I don't even think they handed out a nonres special tag in 87 this year? There are still some whopper bucks in G & H.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-14 AT 07:14PM (MST)[p]You might draw 102 as a special! !
I gave up on the point game in Wyoming..
I hunted 102 about 10 times. .hunting fool mag ruined
draw odds here..
pm me if you draw it I will put you on bucks!
Not what the used to be! I believe poaching is an issue.
Jester

I think I will give 102 a shot next year, I hope they have a warm wet winter.

Do you realize that with 7 points, your chances of drawing 102 are basically zero? You could spend at least another decade or two trying to get to the top of the points heap. I could see it if you were going after a tag with world class muleys, but 102 really isn't any better than the general areas in regions G or H.

>Spent 5 days in G this
>year people dumping 18 inchers
>6 miles back in.
>Haven't seen a good buck
>yet dead or alive.
>Lots of little guys this
>year.

This is part of the problem with any unit. Most people would rather shoot a little buck than eat one tag and help the herd. Yes I know tags are expensive and a lot of guys can't justify the price without some result. But image if just half of those 18"s shot this year made it to next year......

py

I agree that your chances of drawing 102 are really low. The max points for 2015 will be 9 and you have 7 and only max points people have been drawing this tag in the special preference point draw.

You could draw in the special random draw. There were 4 tags this year and 167 applicants for a 2.4% success.

Chasing max point units when you don't have max points probably isn't going to work out well for you. It could take decades for you to draw 102.

Most who throw the odds of a draw
try to paint a bad picture of chances of drawing
and created a sense of gloom..
I think they them selves put in for it and hope others don't!
I say put in as special and see what happens.
There are big bucks there..
jester

I have time to build points and keep trying for a better unit. My oldest boy is 6 right now and if I have not drawn a good tag by the time he is 12 we can just share my points and have a chance at a fun hunt.

Chicken77, I am new to forums and to this site. I am kind of in the same boat as you are. I have 9 points (max points) and am looking at applying next year. Does anyone have any suggestions on a unit for Mule Deer in WY? I have been thinking about unit 90 or 87. Does anyone have any experience in these units? I want to hunt DIY public land no matter what.

Or do I just keep buying points??

I'm with you on the DIY,

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom