7 REM MAG velocity

T

Three100mag

7 REM MAG velocity

got a question for the velocities for a 7mm rem mag. i just got done building one, 98 vz-24 brno, schillin 24 inch barrel, bell&carlson stock, timmney trigger.
went and shot it today with various bullet weights and loads through a cronograph. heres what i got
140 gr nosler ballistic tip
Imr 4359 65 gr
=3164-3187 fps

150 gr ballistic tip
Imr 4831 65 gr
= 3034-3116 fps

162 gr hornady btsp
Imr 7828 66 gr
= 2940-2960 fps

Is this velocity average, sub-par? i know alot of guns that dont shoot as good as the reloading books say but the cronograph dont lie. thanks

RE: 7 REM MAG velocity

The 160 gr bullets can be loaded a little hotter is some rifles. I use IMR 4831, 160 gr nosler partition, cci 250 primers for my elk load. I get a honest 3009 fps average in my Rem 700 ADL. My load of IMR 4831 is max for my rifle and may be way to hot in another, you just have to run a pressure series to see what your rifle likes and will tolerate. I don'know about the lighter bullet weights--I don't load light bullets hot.

Phantom Hunter

Three100mag;
You are in the ballpark according to my older reloading manuels, that normally give higher powder weights then some of the new ones. also on the first load, you give 65 gr. of 4359, I think you meant to say "4350" because that is a max load in the books for that bullet and powder and your velocity is correct for a 65 gr. load of IMR 4350 powder. Most guys will B.S. you about what their hot load is doing, but unlike you, they have not crono the loads and if they did, their Ego will be deflated. All three of your loads are very good loads for any deer to elk velocity wise. I would go to a Nosler Partition in the heavier weight for elk due to better terminal ballistics. The rifle combo you built up is a good one, you should get 3 shots under an inch with that Shilen barrel and the right load combo. 4350 and 4831 powder is a good place to start with on a good shooting load.

RELH

You can probably shoot all of those bullets faster. Te big thing is though is where you get your best accuracy. We got the 150 grain lead going between 3200-3300 but if you cant get any accuracy then theres no reason to shoot them. Best load i've found is 72 grains of h-4895 with 150 grain combined technology leads. The thing is the manual only calls for like 69.5 grains. Probably not real smart on my part but they shoot awsome.

I got 3365fps with 73 grains of H4831 and 140 nosler partitions a few years back. Killed one moose with it. Too much pressure though, cut it back to 72grains.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom