$70,000.00 RIPOFF

B

brenthenriksen

Wondering if there is anyone out there who has been ripped off by either Larry Heathington or Jeff Blair. My brother and I paid for a Desert Sheep Hunt for our father. The guide, Larry Heathington, cancelled the hunt because of supposed health reasons (which if true, I wish him a quick recovery). No refund has been delivered, and the trip was planned 6 months ago. Jeff Blair from Blair WorldWide Hunting took his commission as a booking agent and will not pay us back. Anyone have anything like this ever happen to them? $70,000.00 out the window. My dad did not even make it to Mexico to hunt. I heard there were other desert sheep hunts that were cancelled with no payback. Also, I heard there were other deer hunters that were left hanging. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Upon speaking with Jeff Blair about it, his reply was "Welcome to the real world of hunting." What a joke!!!

No, my hunting trip wouldn't be canceled it would just be starting and wouldn't end until I had Larry in my cross hairs!!!!! Unless a contract was signed that stated the fact about no money back if he got sick. Either way it sucks. Good luck.

$70,000...... Y'all are insane..

Hell if someone took me for a couple grand I may find myself waiting for them to walk to their car in the dark..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I'm usually not a violent person but i think i'd have to make an exception on this one.

"Welcome to the real world of hunting." and after that comment he would be the first one i'd look for.

Really is that what the "real world of hunting is"?screwing your clients and not giving a dam.Was there any mention of rebooking?Hope you get some resolution on this thats terrible.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-10 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]One of our local Building Contractors went belly up a number of years ago. Stuck the Building Supply for over 70K.
He stuck one of his sheetrock subs for a lot less. The sub beat him bad enough both eyes were swollen shut and the Building Contractor spent a cpl days in the hospital.

This is to delmag1942. Can u tell me more about what you are referring to on huntinginfo.com. Are you referring to Larry Heathington or Jeff Blair. I checked out huntinginfo.com, but couldnt find any info on the topic. Please help me out.

There was a story last year in the Arizona section about how Larry disappeared for a few days. When he was found he had a story about being mugged. The whole thing didn't make much sense.

Try posting in the Az forum for an update on where Larry is. Someone may be able to point you in the right direction. Bad deal !!! Hope it is just unfortunate circumstances and you get it worked out.

If a Man doesn't live up to his word, what good is he !

Well, this might make Stinkystomper feel better about losing his 15K last fall.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Use Blair in the box. There is only one result. In addition, the other guy mysteriously disappeared for awhile last fall according to another forum. How did he end up with all $70k upfront?

You will have to persue this to whatever extent you wish.

In my financial situation, someone beats me out of $700 dollars, there will be serious payback......as stated, it may actually be more fun than the original hunt.

I cannot imagine $70k....you would have had to steal my house.

There would be nowhere for either of these dirtbags to hide.

Would you consider a recovery fee?

to delmag1942. According to Jeff Blair, all hunts like this require prepayment. No other choices. Typing Blair in what box, do you have to purchase a membership on huntinginfo.com to get at certain info.?

It might be wise to get the proper authorities involved at this point.

$70,000 is A LOT of money and a case like this should be taken seriously, at least one would hope.

Good luck.

www.huntinfo.com. Click on outfittter reviews. Then type blair in the outfitter name area. I would never give more than 50% before getting there. Looking at Blair's website alone, I would have been a little cautious just from that. Sue them both. Hell Heathington maybe has nothing to do with it?

If I were going to go all in on a $70k desert, check out Larry Altimus (Altimus Hunting adventures). I know for a fact the one of my buddies killed a giant a couple of years back with him in Texas. There are also reputable outfitters in Mexico, I believe Alcampo. Skip the booking agents, it just ups the cost.

Yes, if you can locate him, you might get more results trying to go after him through the police for theft. That should be a felony.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You paid for services to be rendered. YOU did not back out of the contract. If Guide A is unable to go on the hunt, then Guide B should be found as an alternative and the service delivered, or a complete refund made. This is total bull$hit. You might trying posting this on Accuratereloading.com as well. I know Blair posts there. Something like this will really kick up a storm over there. Also, The Hunt Report ( www.huntingreport.com or 800-272-5656) is a great site to place outfitter reviews. Something like this is taken very seriously and I believe the owner of the site even contacts the outfitter in question and gives them the opportunity to respond. Best of luck to you.

you and your brother are totally coco.
70,000 bucks
heck you can't even get a good jackalope hunt for that.
you is insane boy.
send me 15,000 and i will get yor 70,000 back in cash.

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER REASON......AND THERE ARE MANY...THAT I TRY NOT TO DO ANYMORE HUNTS WITH OUTFITTERS. IF I DONT HAVE A CHOICE.....MAYBE. WATCHED A TON OF HUNTERS GET BURNED OVER THE YEARS (HAPPENED TO ME IN CANADA LAST YEAR). THERE ARE ALWAYS EXCUSES & CIRCUMSTANCES AS TO WHY THEY TAKE YOUR $$$$, BUT CANT DELIVER THE HUNT YOU PAID FOR.....I WOULD HUNT THESE TURDS DOWN FOR $70,000 BUCKS IN LOSSES/THEFT...........YD.

+1 ELKMASTER............I TOO.... HOPE YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK, & IT ALL TURNS OUT WELL......THEFT REALLY STINKS.......YD.

If I was willing to pay $70K for a sheep, and I DID pay $70K for a sheep, somewhere there is going to be a dead sheep.

I sure hope it works out for you brenthenriksen.

Eel

Really appreciate your info. I was going to huntinginfo.com, not huntinfo.com Will have to write a review there too.

$70,000 seems like a little too much for a sheep hunt. Maybe a sheep hunt with oriental massage, maybe.

+ 10 Eel!!!
Dang! I'm still choking on that swallow of beer that I was working on when I read that reply!!!

Sounds like u need someone to go collect for u. I think for a small fee u could get either your money back or jack them jokers up bad enough that they wouldnt pull that crap again! Get a mean lawyer and go after them both! Poetic justice would still be beating them 1 inch from their lives though!

Lawyer or not, the problem with dealing with a very small business in this economy is that you may never get your money even after a judgment. Businesses can file bankruptcy....and so can a person. Also, businesses can flat go away.

I wouldn't front that kind of money in this economy. I worry if I'll ever see an internet order for $150 these days.

Which state do these guys do business in? You certainly have legal options. Send me a pm is you would like to discuss further.

NickW, now that is funny!

I too remember a post about this Heatherton guy supposedly getting mugged and disappearing for a few days. Maybe he was at the CHICKEN RANCH with your $70K for a few days. HAHA! Lord, I hope not for your sake.

I think the mugging post was by Don Martin in Aug or Sept of 09.

You and your brother are great sons. I am sure you dad was thrilled to be able to go on this hunt. This is a case of fraud and grand theft. I would contact a good attorney asap, and your local authorities.

The sad part is they are driving around in a new truck and eating out with your money.
How did you pay the money was it a bank to bank transfer, a check, a credit card,Postal Money order or what.The way you paid could mean Federal case or State case. Spend a few more dollars and get a good lawyer and go after those pieces of #####.
Hope you get your money back and they still have to give your dad a sheep hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Listen I have some ocean front property here in Az. I can let you have for half of what you paid for that sheep hunt. For an extra 50 bucks I'll throw in a sheep.

I'm sorry you lost your money but really WHAT WERE YOU THINKING !! $70,000.00 for a sheep hunt

Brent- I went onto Larry's site, www.sheepltd.com. It says that Larry is no longer guiding hunts for medical reasons as of February of 2010. The way I read it was that he is retired for good. It also goes onto say that hunts that were committed for 2010 would be completed so one one would lose out on money. So was there no attempt by either the booking agent/guide to keep original dates or move the hunt with an alternative guide. What does your contract say about deposits and commissions. Also, was this a Mexico hunt? Why $70,000 vs. $60,000 like it says on the website(2010 price increase?). Why a full down payment when 50% is required to book? I do not know either the booking agent or the guide. I will tell that having grown up in Az. I have never heard but good things about Larry and his camps. I can only imagine your frustration but I would say that I don't understand why you would go to forums before you would take legal action. I understand court rulings better than forum jousting. I hope either your father gets to hunt sheep or you get your money back. Just trying to understand. Good Luck! CDN

I tend to agree with what was said above. The very first thing I would have done was get a lawyer and file a police report. If that didn't get my hunt back or money back; well I can't tell you what to do but I would hunt those two pieces of chit and ..... You get the picture. That booking agent needs an ass kicking just out of principle. I am really sorry to here this. Good luck to you.

JR

I agree with CDN. Why did you pay him $70K upfront???? Espeically not knowing him. I'm truly sorry you are going through this...it really SUCKS!

Good Luck

muleyman

i work with a guy that got ripped off for $11k for a mexico mule deer hunt with these same people. he still has not got any money back either. i will pm you his email address so yall can get in contact with each other.

I attended the very first Western Expo in SLC a few years back and overheard Gath Carter talking to someone who wanted his opinion about a certain outfitter that was offering Desert Sheep hunts in Mexico. Garth's did not want to answer about the specific outfitter but did reply was that Mexico was a very risky deal and outfitters that had great reputations had fallen by the wayside leaving a trail of lost deposits for deer and sheep hunts.

I want to hunt Coues and Mexico has some dandies but I am staying north of the border for two reasons...personal safety and risk deposit will be lost.

Sorry to hear about this screw job. I would be nervous if I was the outfitter or booking agent since you never know how someone will react to seeing a large chunk of money taken away.

Outdoors is right...if he pisses off the wrong person, there will be blood, no doubt about it. That is just toooo much $$$ to let go and if he is doing the same to others. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when the collector comes to...collect!

muleyman

I don't want to sound like a smart*ss or come off as overly critical, but how in the hell can anyone spend $70,000 on a hunt and NOT do their homework beforehand??? It is not that difficult to figure out who the good guys are, and who the clowns and ripoff artists are, either.

Just a little research would reveal that Blair is about the sleaziest booking agency in existence, and NOT one to do a hunt like this through. That is my opionion, but one that is shared by many who would never book a hunt with that outfit. As for Larry Heathington, there is also a lot of information online about him that should give one pause. I can't believe anyone would go this far into such a hunt and not know what they were getting into with this crowd.

If you're going to drop $70,000 on a sheep hunt, or even a lot less, I don't think you go do better than Larry Altimus. The man's ehtics and honesty are without question. He, his wife Stephanie and assistant guide Bo Morgan have multiple grand slams among them, I think something like 5 grand slams among the three of them. They are sheep hunting fanatics who guide as a way to get to do a lot more bighorn and desert bighorn hunting. Altimus has access to what are probably the very best desert sheep hunts in existence, and you don't even need to leave the USA. Right now, with all the problems in Mexico, I think I'd rather be hunting in Texas if I were chasing desert sheep.

CAelknuts,

I agree (see post 17). One thing to remember with Altimus in Texas, you need to get on his list. I believe it takes awhile for him to get through the people that want to go as he utilizes a limited number of "landowner" tags.

You guys advising hiring lawyers, must be lawyers.

Even if you win in court.....you lose and the lawyer makes money.

It is simple. The guy made a deal with you and you paid him. He can't refund....it is HIS asz now on the line. He is making no effort to work this out.....Now you are supposed to pay a lawyer, on top of the hunt you lost? His medical issues will be just beginning.

I would rather send Bubba than Perry Mason. At least Bubba is going to get some "interest" on my money.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-10 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]With all due respect to those suggesting it...the idea of beating someone's a** over something like this sounds fun and exciting when talking about it over the internet, sure. In reality...not a good idea.

You gotta pay for a lawyer, sure. But I'd rather do that and hope to get back half of my money lost than face criminal charges for violent retaliation.

This isn't the old West...even though I agree that it sometimes seems like that would be a whole lot better. Not to mention more fun. :)

The idea of spending that much money on a hunt is rediculous and to get ripped off is unfortunate, but the chance you take when forking over all the dough upfront.
Nothing will come of this or can be done, and all the talk about kicking butt or worse is just going to get those making the threats possible jail time. Just speaking about it like some have,is grounds for conspiracy to commit.

Stop Global Whining

You guys grew up playing a different game than they played in my neighborhood. Must be nice where can sleep well after screw someone over royally. You would not be sleeping well in my old neighborhood. We had a guy flee to China when that was not a nice play to live but he figured that way he had a chance.

"If you're going to drop $70,000 on a sheep hunt, or even a lot less, I don't think you go do better than Larry Altimus. The man's ehtics and honesty are without question. He, his wife Stephanie and assistant guide Bo Morgan have multiple grand slams among them, I think something like 5 grand slams among the three of them. They are sheep hunting fanatics who guide as a way to get to do a lot more bighorn and desert bighorn hunting. Altimus has access to what are probably the very best desert sheep hunts in existence, and you don't even need to leave the USA. Right now, with all the problems in Mexico, I think I'd rather be hunting in Texas if I were chasing desert sheep"

+1
Larry's good people.

If the gentleman has enough money to buy a sheep hunt he will be able to hire an attorney. He will need one to get through the court system, this is just a fact of life. I am not an attorney. There are other measures that the court allows that will still be in effect if they try to file bankruptcy.

In Arizona the prevailing party to a contract dispute is generally entitled to recover attorneys' fees and costs...

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-10
>AT 01:20?PM (MST)

>
>With all due respect to those
>suggesting it...the idea of beating
>someone's a** over something like
>this sounds fun and exciting
>when talking about it over
>the internet, sure. In
>reality...not a good idea.
>
>You gotta pay for a lawyer,
>sure. But I'd rather
>do that and hope to
>get back half of my
>money lost than face criminal
>charges for violent retaliation.
>
>This isn't the old West...even though
>I agree that it sometimes
>seems like that would be
>a whole lot better.
>Not to mention more fun.
>:)

first, this is the west. Had a sheetrock contractor roll on his guys for pay, moved away one night. To this day he still has to have his parents pick him up and bring him to their house when he comes into town(2 of his guys are Mexicans who have made it clear they will leave him with some holes when they get him). If you have 70k to hunt sheep (GOOD LORD) you can afford a trip to Mexico and a louisville slugger.

Second, at my house there would be a beating, if not a murder in a case like this, pretty sure 70k to hunt anything would mean my wife ending me!!

I'm not sure were getting the whole story here.......smells a little fishy to me.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

>I'm not sure were getting the
>whole story here.......smells a little
>fishy to me.
>
>
>Sit tall in the saddle, hold
>your head up high, keep
>your eyes fixed to where
>the trail meets the sky...
>

+50!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Check out the links below from the Arizona section. Apparantly this guy went missing under some pretty strange circumstances. When I read your post I remembered this bizzare story. Don Martin is a guide out of the Williams/Seligman area. He is the one that posted this story. You could send him an email and see if he could help out or explain the other side of the story. Just a thought. Sorry to hear you got burned.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID33/742.html

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID33/746.html

I am not quite sure about another side of the story. An acquintance of mine was having same problem with the same outfitter! I will send him a link to this site and let him know about it. Apparently he is also not the only one from what I heard at WSF show in Reno and at Grandslam/ovis in Vegas

sound like several people have had troubles with him and their money. All I can think of is that 70 grand could buy a house in a town in the midwest. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom