72/73 3rd season

Foreverwest

Anyone ever hunted this unit in 3rd season? My buddy bought me a tag for a wedding present and we're headed down next week. If you had the tag would you focus on the bedding areas off the private fields or the higher stuff away from the private. Anyone know what Caliber of bucks to expect? Thanks in advance.

I hunted 72/73 3rd in 2007. Warm temperatures plagued us that year. We were looking for a motel with a pool;). We stunk up the place. Didn't see a single buck on public or private over 165". I overheard some locals talking about bucks over 200" on private, but we sure didn't see any. The only spot we found a few deer where we could hunt was West of Cahone. There was some sort of monument out there along a creek drainage. The area had burned in the past and a few deer were running around.

Good Luck

Having killed only one deer over this, I can say for myself that 165 deer are nothing to scoff at!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks guys. Ill make sure to take any mature buck that looks good from what I'm hearing. I hope the weather is cool. Ill definitely post some pics when I get back. If anyone else has any info I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Won't be worth a chit if we don't get some weather. Dry as a bone and windier than heck.

@tx,

I'm not being a snob. My comment was merely that we didn't even see any big bucks on private. I'm sure they exist, but with the warm weather we didn't see any. In other areas I have hunted in Colorado we always get teased with good bucks on private... where we can't hunt.

Sorry it came out that way, was not my intent. Meant to say that for ME, a 165 buck is more than adequate and that if I had seen one this September (had a muzzy tag), he would have gone down!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Had to call it quits and get back home. Great country and lots of does and smaller bucks. Too hot for bringing many mature deer out. Passed some 165's hoping for a better one. Definitively wish we would have had some weather! Would like to hear how anyone else did or how the 4th season goes!

PM sent
Did you find more deer in the lower country? Suppose to get a little weather this week. Hopefully the big boys will come out to play :)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom