75,000 cases, 1080 deaths, 1850 recoveries.

caelkhnter

Very Active Member
Queens New York is already unable to treat the people who require hospitalization. IF people who require hospitalization cannot be treated, the mortality rate will rise. That is why the effort to slow the progression is so important.

If required medical resources were not an issue, this virus would not warrant such efforts. However, because this virus is so contagious, and because so many infected require hospitalization, (last number I read was something like 12% of people infected require hospitalization) this is as serious as it gets.

I am sure many people currently live in areas that have not experienced serious numbers YET. I caution everyone not to let that make you feel your communities are safe. The mandated measures are for the benefit of all. Slowing the rapid progression serves to benefit all of us. At least that is they way I see it.

The majority of those that require hospitalization had other medical issues. 99% of italys deaths had at least 1 other health issue. 50% had 3 or more health issues. If you have respiratory or immunity issues or you're old, lay low till this blows over. Leave the rest of us be. The actions we are taking now are liable to kill more than the virus. At least that is the way I see it.

Last edited:
Judging from what I saw at the grocery store this morning, after this virus runs it's course, doctors are going to be over run with patients suffering stress from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and PTSD.

Based on the New Orleans cases, simply ignoring the severity of the virus can get you good. Who the heck would go party with all those people when THEY KNOW there's a highly contagious virus spreading throughout the world? Maybe the virus is designed to get rid of stupid.
I don't want to sound insensitive, but my heck! Why would they do that?

Those that require hospitalization had other medical issues. 99% of italys deaths had at least 1 other health issue. 50% had 3 or more health issues. If you have respiratory or immunity issues or you're old, lay low till this blows over. Leave the rest of us be. The actions we are taking now are liable to kill more than the virus. At least that is the way I see it.
Not all of those in the hospital had prior or underlying conditions. KUTV did is story last night on a 42 year old who is on life support from this. He had no other issues prior. His wife also tested positive for it and was hospitalized as well but is doing better. They are from Grantsville.

DW, I am not sure your premise is correct. I have read many reports about younger people without other serious underlying issues having to be hospitalized. Now those people normally recover without much issue. Those who are dying are typically older with other health issues. But if the numbers of infected increase, thereby increasing the number of people requiring hospitalization, to the point that we cannot provide the medical care for all who require it, the people who normally would not die, die.

I understand the corresponding and serious economic consequences as well. I am a business owner who is having to pay people who cannot work. This situation is extremely difficult on many levels. As much as I hate to say it, I think the measures required to slow the rapid increase are currently needed. Without them, I believe the death rate would skyrocket because we lack the needed resources to treat those that need the care. So although this is not good on the economic side, at least for the time being, I think it is the lesser of the two evils.

Those that require hospitalization had other medical issues. 99% of italys deaths had at least 1 other health issue. 50% had 3 or more health issues. If you have respiratory or immunity issues or you're old, lay low till this blows over. Leave the rest of us be. The actions we are taking now are liable to kill more than the virus. At least that is the way I see it.

DW,

I responded to this on another thread but have not seen where you replied.
The article you posted there said those other health issues were most commonly heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. Those are also the most common "other health issues" we have in the US. Nearly half of our population (121 million) has heart disease. 31 million have diabetes. What makes our population different than those dying in Italy?

DW,

I responded to this on another thread but have not seen where you replied.
The article you posted there said those other health issues were most commonly heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. Those are also the most common "other health issues" we have in the US. Nearly half of our population (121 million) has heart disease. 31 million have diabetes. What makes our population different than those dying in Italy?

Exactly?

Not all of those in the hospital had prior or underlying conditions. KUTV did is story last night on a 42 year old who is on life support from this. He had no other issues prior. His wife also tested positive for it and was hospitalized as well but is doing better. They are from Grantsville.

Amended my post for ya.

DW, I am not sure your premise is correct. I have read many reports about younger people without other serious underlying issues having to be hospitalized. Now those people normally recover without much issue. Those who are dying are typically older with other health issues. But if the numbers of infected increase, thereby increasing the number of people requiring hospitalization, to the point that we cannot provide the medical care for all who require it, the people who normally would not die, die.

I understand the corresponding and serious economic consequences as well. I am a business owner who is having to pay people who cannot work. This situation is extremely difficult on many levels. As much as I hate to say it, I think the measures required to slow the rapid increase are currently needed. Without them, I believe the death rate would skyrocket because we lack the needed resources to treat those that need the care. So although this is not good on the economic side, at least for the time being, I think it is the lesser of the two evils.

My premise is, if you're unhealthy and older, self quarantine, in the interest of self preservation and the spirit of self reliance. Let the rest of us make our own decisions.

The majority of those that require hospitalization had other medical issues. 99% of italys deaths had at least 1 other health issue. 50% had 3 or more health issues. If you have respiratory or immunity issues or you're old, lay low till this blows over. Leave the rest of us be. The actions we are taking now are liable to kill more than the virus. At least that is the way I see it.

And while 121 million Americans are "laying low" "the rest of us" are out spreading the virus around and bringing it home. We all need to lay low.

And while 121 million Americans are "laying low" "the rest of us" are out spreading the virus around and bringing it home. We all need to lay low.

So we save 10k virus deaths but lose 25k to those dying due to lacking the ability to pay their health insurance, or worse killing themselves because they lost the ability to take care of their family? It's a fine line and we're flirtin with it. Anybody know the number of people worldwide that have recovered from it? Not the CDC number because 80% of people that get it have little to no symptoms. 1 million? 10 million? 100 million? I live alone and I work alone. I'm not having long conversations with coughin strangers in the home depot. Yet here I am, having to wonder if I'm "allowed" to be working? Makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Those who have recovered likely have antibodies. Here is hoping they realize the good they can accomplish.

Nobody knows for certain what the right answers are. But I dont believe that sticking my head in the sand is the right one.

20200318_075033.jpg

The 2019-2020 flu season, charted | Advisory Board Daily Briefing

38 to 54 million Americans have gotten the FLU and 23,000 plus have died.

So we save 10k virus deaths but lose 25k to those dying due to lacking the ability to pay their health insurance, or worse killing themselves because they lost the ability to take care of their family? It's a fine line and we're flirtin with it. Anybody know the number of people worldwide that have recovered from it? Not the CDC number because 80% of people that get it have little to no symptoms. 1 million? 10 million? 100 million? I live alone and I work alone. I'm not having long conversations with coughin strangers in the home depot. Yet here I am, having to wonder if I'm "allowed" to be working? Makes me shake my head in disbelief.

"And I believe in keeping my wits about me, when all those around me are losing theirs."

Do you though? Where'd ya get those numbers? 25k? 80% You sound a little panicky. You and Hoss might need to self quarantine.

There about like those predicting millions of deaths in the US. Pulled from thin air. The 80% is all over the news, even CNN.

Computer models are only as good as the information put into them.

That's why we have the doomsday prediction of CO2 causing the earth to melt down, and even that the earth is the warmest it's ever been, and sea level rise is about to explode. Historical records and data prove otherwise.

That article coincides with predictions like these. Not even close to the millions they were talking about at one point.

20200323_215135.jpg

That article coincides with predictions like these. Not even close to the millions they were talking about at one point.

View attachment 4079
What?!?! This chart says 1400 total deaths! We’ve passed that and not close to the end. That report should be someone’s TP. Give us something to convince us you’re right, cause that didn’t help. I’d like to feel better that we might be within a month of the turning point.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom