76 early or 61 first season

elkin44

Like all of us I have been saving points and just never catch up. What started like 4-5 point unit is now in the mid teens. I am close to either of these hunts now. What would be a better hunt 76 early rifle or 61 first season? I know the quality is not there in 76 but there will not many people in there. I hear 61 first season can be a little crowded with all the cow tags.....

I am non-res. what do you guys think?

personally I would do 61 first season! I know you are a non resident where would you be coming from? How many tags will you have ? I have hunted 61 during both the first rifle and the archery hunt and they are amazing. Dont know anything about 76 ,just spend alot of time in 61 and have seen what you can find.

That is another disadvantage, I am from Michigan, not much scouting time possible. Familiar with couple of areas in colorado though, been hunting there for the past 16 years. there may be 2-3 tags.

Just curious you said there could be 2-3 tags it takes 19 points for 76 Early and i think there are only 6 tags(may have to check this).That may factor in where you apply.

if you get off the two tracks and divide road, you won,t see any hunters. was there for 10 days and never saw one hunter.if you want more help call me. 3035885638

I for got to say I bring my own horse/pack animals. I did not know if unit 61 would be good for this type of hunting. But If you can get off the road that is no issue, just want to use the points and not let the points get to high where I am chasing a good unit. Hunt OTC every year waiting to use the points, like just about everyone.

totally agree with elkmeat! If you need any help with your hunt just ask I am not an outfitter or guide just love to play with elk !

what type of animal are you looking for ? what are you looking for as far as a hunting experience? Dont think you will shoot a 400 class bull but you will see a ton of elk and have the chance to kill a good bull

I am hoping to have a chance at a respectable bull, the BC score to me really does not matter, we usually get 2-3 bulls a year in a few different OTC units that we hunt, but over the years we have only got 2 big bulls the rest are typical colorado 5X5's.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-12 AT 10:48AM (MST)[p]How many points do you have now? These hunts probally take 18 plus PP. If it were me and and i had horses like you said i would take the early 76 tag. Longer season and alot better dates(oct 1st opener). Although 61 has better top end bulls i think the quality of the hunt would be much better in 76 IMHO.

I have 17 points notw. I checked the new stats out.....victom of point creep again, I thought I would start having a chance at one of the hunts. keep chasing the creep I guess

I have hunted 61 several times. Its a blast !!!! Just don't expect 350 inch bulls. I have spent alot of time in 61 and the best bull I have ever seen was a 350 class bull. I hear of bigger bulls being taken but I have never seen any. But 61 is a fun hunt. I don't think you would be disappointed. If I could do it again I would bow hunt it. But thats just me. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom