777 chronograph test

B

bigtom

a friend of mine knows a guy with a chronograph , i have set it up for tomorrow to go shoot some 777 and see what the results will be . here is what im going to do , i will start out with a 150 gr charge and work down to 100gr charge . i will be using the 240gr honady xtp bullet / sabot and a musket cap for ignition. the can says it will shoot 1820fps with a 100gr charge of powder . the gun im using will be a t/c blackdiamond xr .50cal
with a 26" barrel . i have shot the 130 & 140 gr charge and got 1-1/2" groups so am curious of what the speed difference is , the 140gr charge really kicks . i hope this info will help all of you out considering using the 777.

Thanks bigtom,I'll be checking in to se your "Results".I shot some Triple 7 last week for the first time,out of a Knight Rifle and found that 100grns with a 250 grn .45 cal Nosler was MY best selection for group size,also shot Speer 260,and 300 grn Barnes X.Went from 100-130 on powder,and cleaned after each shot,the higher/more powder the "wider" the group.Also,with this "NEW" powder,this was the FIRST time I ever have had a Problem removing the Breech Plug for cleaning,even though I lubed with anti-seeze like always.New powder is "HOT"---

bigtom: It isn't going to help me one bit, because you are going at it backwards. You should start with the smallest charge first and work your way up.

azbiggame: I'm hearing the exact same reactions from some people who I know who know what they are talking about. They say the 3f is REALLY HOT.

here are the results ,musket cap , 240grxtp/sabot & 140gr of ffg triple seven is 2106fps. 130gr = 2063fps 120gr =1999fps why i started at 140gr is because that is where i got the best groups , i put a scope on to find which bullet / powder combo that would shoot the best group and 140 was the one for me . it was 1-1/2" at 100 yds with a five shot group and 3 of the 5 were touching. i am going to shoot 120 and 110 to see how they will shoot i ran out of time and the chronograph wouldnt register because i started this test after work and the there wasnt enough light .so later in the week i will have the rest of the results .

With Clearshot my accuracy falls off at 120grs, and with 777 my accuracy falls off at 100grs. Does that mean that those loads are acheiving similar velocities?

henry i dont know , i have never used clearshot . i just know the 140-130 gr load shoots a 1-1/2 group at 100 yds with my gun. the 150gr load shoots all over the place so i didnt shoot it through the chronograph .i ran the 120 gr load through the ballistic calculator and it has over 1000ft lbs of energy at 200 yds and that is what i wanted to have for my mule deer hunt next week .the 100 gr load only had 800 ft lbs at 200yds .

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-02 AT 04:31PM (MST)[p]Henry: What it means is that the 777 is hotter than the Clear Shot. You should be receiving a velocity quotient that is very similar. It just takes less 777 than Clear Shot to achieve it.

bigtom, I also did the tests with the 777. Did you experience erratic speeds? This is the first time I have used my chrony so I didn't know what to expect, but I had the same load (130 gr)give me speeds of 2185-2063 is this spread normal? Do you take the average of the shots? It didn't seem to affect the accuracy though.

Thanks

well i did get some speed differences , but i shot 3 times and took the average of all 3 . and it didnt seem to affect the accuracy , i did mark where i seated the sabot on the rod so i would be the same each time.i know if i didnt run a wet patch after each shot i would get one that flew off about 2-3" .

Hey guys: I am going to do my testing of 777 tomorrow. I'll let you know what I run into.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom