78 deer

sagehunter

my 12 year old boy drew unit 78 deer. i have not hunted there since u could buy the tags. how is the hunting now that u have to draw? thanks for any help.

I had the tag last year. It winter-killed SO badly two winters ago, it will take years to come back. I never even considered raising my gun on a buck, it was honestly better before they made it Controlled. My favorite place is St. Charles Canyon, right on the face above Bear Lake.

There's a few in there :)

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-12 AT 12:30PM (MST)[p]I've applied in the past for this tag, but never drew it. I've driven the west border and it looks like decent country. BUT the 2011 harvest stats on the Idaho F&G web site show a grim picture - only 14 antlered deer harvested in the unit last year. I know the stats arent always 100% accurate, but it still looks like the winter kill had a huge effect on the mule deer in this unit. I wish you the best of luck sagehunter! Just remember that this area has awesome genetics.

I went last year a day with a friend and saw a couple small bucks up high. I think there are a couple good bucks if you can find one. Good luck.

Huntfishall1 must have looked at the wrong line in the harvest report because what I see for unit 78 says the following:

200 tags (198 actually hunted)
58 bucks
50.9% 4pt or better with 10.5% being 5pt(the 5 pts are included in the 4 pt percentage)

I have never hunted it I just wanted to clear up the harvest statistics for you.

Yep you're right. I was looking at the list with the general units. For some reason they have unit 78 listed with some harvest. The list with controlled hunts has the correct info. I was wondering why the harvest seemed so dismal!

I realize the winter kill experienced a few years ago has caused a significant decline in the number of deer in the area, but this zone has produced some awesome bucks over the years! The genetics are still there!

There must be some big bucks that have survived!

Good luck with your Son's hunt!

When you did hunt the zone (years back), how was the Elk population in there?

Don't be picky on what to shoot. Usually the big ones get shot on opening day or the last few days. When you see a giant, don't freak out. I did, twice. It's just when you don't see anything for days/weeks and a giant one walks out, you s#!t your pants.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom