7mm-08 - which gun ?

martinc

I'm looking for a new rifle, for hunting medium-size game,like mule deer. I'm set on a 7mm-08, I want a light-to-average weight rifle, not a super-light one (say 6.5 to 7.25 lbs gun before the scope ). I want a synthetic stock and stainless steel or similar barrel.

My first research gives me

Winchester Model 70 Extreme
Weatherhttp://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535110#center

Remington Model 700 Mountain SS

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-mountain-ss.aspx

I also like the Nosler Trophy Grade Rifle

http://www.nosler.com/Rifles/tgr.aspx

I don't really like the look of the Sako, the Ruger or Savage.

Any help or other suggestion would be appreciated
Thanks

Martin

I got a savage 7mm-08 for my kid to shoot. Great cartridge that can be loaded down for deer and up for elk. Great gun, tack driver, acutrigger. Would recommend checking it out.

The trouble with off the shelf rifles, its literally a race to the bottom. It seems every off the shelf rifle I have to compromise on something.

So...this year I decided to try a semi-custom build for my wife, in 7-08. Partly to see what all the flap was about for semi-customs, and partly because she's a lefty with even more limits off the shelf.

I bought a rem. 700 action in December and in January I sent the action off to pac-nor for a super match grade stainless steel barrel, number 2 contour, holland recoil lug, 1-9 twist, 3 groove, 23 inches. While there I had them flute the bolt, true the action.

While I was at it, I also installed a speed lock firing pin assembly...and a timney trigger set to 2.75 pounds. Bought a B&C synthetic stock, floated and bedded. Topped it with a 3-9x40 vxII leupold dot reticle and M-1 elevation turret in talley LW rings.

Didnt compromise on a single component...and all in, the rifle is a pinchy over 7 pounds.

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

Oh, and we tried 5-6 different loads and had a tough time deciding on which one shot the best with 140 grain accu-bonds/ballistic tips. Eventually settled on 43.0 grains of varget, 140 accubond, 2850 FPS through the chrony and verified drop via twisting turrets to 600.

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

My wife shot this 8-shot group without letting the rifle cool at 450 yards about 10 days ago...

IMAG0071.jpg

I'm 100% convinced I'm done with off the shelf rifles.

Yep, you can $1400...

Could of saved quite a bit on that...custom etched scope bell was $65, bolt fluting another $65, M-1 was another $50, timney was $100, speed lock FP assembly $50.

I think a thrifty person who does a bit of shopping, holding the cosmetics, could get it done for $900-$1000.

That's very reasonable. Somebody I know has 2 custom made guns built here in Quebec and he will introduced me to his rifle builder. They are more expensive but recognised as great rifles here. I will look into that...

This is my model 7 remington in 7-08, i bought the gun used with less than 50 shots through it for 450 and refinished the stock and free floated the barrel, put a 4-12 vortex diamond back scope on it, and shot this 100 yard group with it the other day, there was a small crosswind so i didnt mess with it after i got it close, that flyer is my first shot before adjusting the scope, its a 5 shot group i dont know the size but its pretty good i think, also it was 139 gr hornady superformance sst ammo, the whole set up comes in just under 700 bucks,

6919dsc01139.jpg

1127dsc01140.jpg

this gun also came with a 3# custom adjustable trigger and comes in at 7 pounds 1 ounce without the bipod

Buy the Remington, then if it doesn't shoot worth a $hit, you can build a tack driver off of the action.

>For what it is worth, I
>really like my stainless Browning
>X bolt.
>It is a 270 Short Mag
>and I have shot 5/8
>MOA groups.

I have an A-Bolt Hunter in 30-06 and I like it a lot. It's my gun for hunting in cover, with a Leupold 1.75-6. It's just that I'd like a more weather-proof gun for the mountains, including so trips in BC, and I don't think Browning has a 7mm-08 in a synthetic bolt action rifle.

Martin

I would like to hear from the OP and others why they selected this chambering? I have two 7-08s and they shoot nice, but it seems like whenever I am going "hunting" I reach past them and grab the 270...

Just curious

Arroyo

>I would like to hear from
>the OP and others why
>they selected this chambering?
>I have two 7-08s and
>they shoot nice, but it
>seems like whenever I am
>going "hunting" I reach past
>them and grab the 270...
>
>
>Just curious
>
>Arroyo

It is not the most powerful caliber out there, I guess you feel the need for more power when you go hunting, especially if you can shoot past 400y. But in Nosler Trophy Grade ammunition, a 270 would deliver a 130 Accubond with 1476 P-F at 400y while a 7-08 sends a 140 Accubond with 1405 P-F at 400. Beyond that, the difference would be even less.

I chose 7-08 because of its low-recoil, accuracy, good ballistic coefficient. And I feel it delivers enough power for medium size game like deer, antelope, goat, sheep at 500y. The bullet is on the light side for elk or moose but would do the job when a good angle.

Great caliber. I have two. One is a model 70 and one is a Kimber Montana. I reload but have used them on everything from javelina, deer, antelope, mt goat, big horn.sheep, moose, and blk bear. Never needed a second shot

I would like to hear from the OP and others why they selected this chambering? I have two 7-08s and they shoot nice, but it seems like whenever I am going "hunting" I reach past them and grab the 270...

Just curious

Arroyo

IMO, you're grabbing the wrong rifle...

While I'm not big into ballistic gack, there is no denying the high BC of the 140 and 160 accubonds in .284.

The 7-08 has a lot of good things going for it...brass is cheap, case life is good, doesnt gobble a bunch of powder, wide range of bullet selections, long barrel life, inherently accurate, easy to load for, pleasant to shoot, short action, to name a few.

While the .270 works, there isnt a case I can think of where it would work any better than a 7-08. Not that theres anything wrong with the .270, I just see no clear "advantage".

I'd have no problem packing a 7-08 for the rest of my life...from moose to coues deer and everything in between, including brown bears and grizzly.

The upside to a 7-08 is that there isnt a downside.

>Great caliber. I have two. One
>is a model 70 and
>one is a Kimber Montana.
>I reload but have used
>them on everything from javelina,
>deer, antelope, mt goat, big
>horn.sheep, moose, and blk bear.
>Never needed a second shot
>

Which of the 2 do you like best ?

The 7-08 is a superb round.
I've heard it described as a round that kills far better than it's ballistics portray.

I won a Winchester model 70 stainless in this caliber at a RMEF banquet and it was an automatic gift to my son.

I topped it with a 3.5-10 x 40 Leupold Boone & Crockett reticle scope and my son went on a several year long killing spree with it.

With a LRF & the B&C reticle he is deadly out to 500 yards.

I believe in the 7-08.

026_crop_zps40d3698e.jpg

zz003.jpg

zz002.jpg

zz005.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

2222.jpg

010.jpg

thomasc.jpg

99fm4.jpg

Thanks Martinc and Buzz for answering my "off the wall" question.

By no means am I discounting the 7-08, I just like to hear people's thought process on why they chose it over the 270, 280 or 308.

MartinC

The 7-08 is a great choice. Just a lil warning. Building rilfes can become quite addicting!! I say go for it and you won't be let down.

Buzz...best thing you did was get a Rem M700 short action and build from there. 7mm-08 is an excellent choice for your wife or anyone. I have one and love it. Shoots accubonds better than I do.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Browning does in fact have a Stainless X Bolt with composite stock. I have the hunter version in 7mm-08 it it is one nice gun! I shot my muley at 400 yards with it last year and it dropped in its tracks. I have a turret that goes out to 600. Great caliber.

I'd do what Buzz did. By eliminating a few extras and getting price down to around a grand, you'll have one heck of a rifle. mtmuley

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys.

I'm waiting after this hunting season and will see what that gunsmith will suggest. I know he builds action himself, or can uses a Remington action. I will see what he recommends, but I'm glad there is a lot of fan of 7-08 here.

I like the Model 70 best. Mine is about a fifteen year old featherweight with a wooden stock. The Kimber is awesome in the western mountains for a backpack hunt. Both are off the shelf with no changes. Accuracy is good in both but the Model 70 will out shoot the Kimber. (I also have a Montana in a 257 Rob that is a tack driver)

Everyday hunting I'll take the Model 70. Backpack into the mountains for a week in the snow/rain and I'll take the Kimber.

I bought a Remington 788 in 7mm08 youth model with wood stock for my daughter. I also have a 22-250 in the model 788, its a great action and both guns are fun to shoot. My daughter can bench shoot her 7mm08 all day long and constantly groups her shots in 3" groups at 100 yards. It's a great gun for deer but, it can bring down a big bull too. (I just posted my daughters elk hunt in the elk forum, she dropped her bull with the 7mm08). I think the 7mm08 is one of the best guns for either youth or women, heck I like it too!

Smokepole

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom